Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not for the first time I have no idea what you are on about. Other than just another of your vague ramblings opposing vaccines.

Nobody has ever claimed that vaccines were 100% guaranteed to prevent transmissions and thus eradicate Covid. But then you appear not to know the difference between eradication and herd immunity.

Nothing to do with me setting out any stall or my prerogative.

Sweden`s strategy was nothing to do with flattening the curve. It was chasing herd immunity based on Giesecke`s belief that the virus would "sweep like a storm over Sweden" and that herd immunity would be achieved within a few months. E-mails discovered freedom of information clearly show that was the strategy, and Annika Linde, Sweden`s state epidemiologist 2005 -2013 has since admitted that was the strategy and she was aware of it.There was no science to validate that strategy. Even Tegnell was forced to admit this "science" of yours was immoral.

There are a number of areas where I would have a problem with the WHO regarding this virus, but the one that gives me most pause for thought is the appointment of someone as advisor to the WHO director-general on pandemic response who actively promoted the immoral experiment of infecting the citizens of his own country with a deadly virus without their knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

as far as I can remember when discussing any vaccinations, it was never declared from any reliable source that one vaccinated you are completely protected against Covid ,

it was always a very high protection against being infected but if you did the symptoms were not as damaging or life threatening as if non vaccinated.

also with regards to the booster; while it is definitely not what was thought, equally a booster is regularly in vaccinations. Think Hep, tapirs, tetanus,

this February 2021 article which was right at the start of the vaccine roll out clearly sets out the expectations of the vaccine, what it will do and what it won’t.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19

If you are opposing the delusion that vaccines would eradicate the virus then the only delusion you are opposing is your own. No one ever claimed that any of the vaccines would have a sterilising effect and 100% guarantee no transmission. The primary efficacy claims for the vaccine was their ability to reduce serious illness and deaths should you become infected. This they have done dramatically. Something very evident from the comparative figures I post covering the Summer months last year and this. But yet again facts that do not suit your narrative so completely ignored.

When it comes to herd immunity it sounds as if you have been paying to much credence to Giesecke`s ramblings rather than the actual principle. His rambling on naturally acquired immunity through infection that herd immunity leaves the virus "nowhere to go" is a nonsense. Herd immunity is the principle that if enough people are immune to the virus they provide a shield for those unable to gain immunity themselves . The higher the percentage immune the higher protection. It is also not a 100% guarantee no matter what strategy is used as it will never result in the virus having "nowhere to go".

Contrary to your belief of Sweden`s et al approach to dealing with this pandemic, Sweden`s et al approach ended in October 2020 when local authorities got back control of health decisions for their own regions. With rising numbers and Tegnell in denial of a second wave still planning to plow on with the PHA herd immunity strategy by increasing numbers for public gathering, ease care home restrictions and telling the vulnerable it was safe to mingle in general society, the local authorities had enough of the dangerous nonsense and put a stop to it. Since then the emphasise has been on controlling numbers, and like everywhere else since vaccines became available, encouraging everyone to avail of them as the only way of dealing with this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

But with all that talk of how the Swedes showed Tegnell in the end they never had a lockdown, never mandated masks, never closed restaurants & schools etc. And have the same deaths we have if you adjust for their older population.

(I know, Norway, yaddayadda, lets not do that again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Adjusting for the frankly amazing number of single occupant households in Sweden, they did **** terribly.

As an aside, wtf is going on over there with such a huge proportion of the population living alone?

And adjusted for the largest population with IKEA furniture in their house they did amazingly well.

Like seriously? What tf are we getting into now? Anything else you wann bring up? Volvo drivers? Blondes?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

You may perhaps be venturing into conspiracy theory territory here.

‘Actively promoted the immoral experiment of infecting the citizens of his own country with a deadly virus without their knowledge’

This is a bit unhinged tbh.

I get that you’ve an aversion to any solution that doesn’t maximise immediate saving of lives at any cost, but though Sweden, like most countries, got some things wrong, I can’t fathom why a mid-table performing country re deaths is such a target. Could they have saved lives by closing their borders, especially early on? - yes, of course. As we could have.

Ok

So you don't see the fact that an incredible number of swedes living alone as relevant to a debate about a highly infectious disease.

Can I ask why?

Over 50% of gafs in Sweden have just one occupant.

Can someone remind me, did household transmission play a large role in Ireland's case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Very true. In fact they're well below mid-table by EU standards. As @CalamariFritti pointed out, about par with Ireland when adjusted for age profile.

More elderly swedes live alone than anywhere else in Europe.

One third of them live alone.

Lads, it's a weird country

They live alone because Sweden developed a policy towards providing care at home for the elderly if possible, rather than collecting them together in one facility. Which is the weird country?

Unfortunately because home carers that visited elderly at home to provide care were providing care at home to many, and on rotation, the virus spread still among the elderly being cared for at home as well as those in a residential facility.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fairly impressive results with their pretty benign restrictions over the last few months.

You may be perhaps wishing to ignore the e-mails obtained under freedom of information and the statement of Tegnell`s predecessor that the strategy was acquired herd immunity from the outset and was publicly lied about.

If you think that was a bit unhinged then that description belongs more to Tegnell than too me. He was still attempting to pursue it until the regional authorities put a stop to it in October when he was in denial of a second wave, and then bizarrely stated the chasing of naturally acquired herd immunity was immoral.

If you continually wish to ignore the cost in lives lost in Sweden due to that strategy compared to it`s Nordic neighbours, then that is up to you. As to the cost, Sweden is not going to gain anything financially from that strategy compared to its neighbours or anywhere else. If your cost is the, how long is a piece of string arguement on mental health issues, with over 10% of their population infected with this virus the alternative arguement is long Covid where substantial numbers are still unable to return to work months after becoming infected.

I have no idea where you are from in Ireland, but if you somehow believe we could have closed our borders then you know very little about our land border with Northern Ireland

Do you think that that there is more to life than merely existing? I have seen posts by a few posters on here who live abroad who say they dread going to Ireland when they have to go there. I feel the same way. It's depressing going there. Draconian restrictions, everything micromanaged, no fun, can't do anything without a mask, can't even have a cup of tea indoors unless you have some app on your phone. Sweden is the complete opposite. I spent some time in Sweden and it was wonderful. People appeared to be happy, could pop into a café or a restaurant on your way home, people were relaxed.

Anders Tegnell has said, in numerous interviews, that he considered public health as a whole when deciding how to approach covid. He said it was very important for children to go to school and to keep society as open as possible.

Clearly Ireland could not have closed its land border with Northern Ireland.

Tegnell theorised herd immunity and was hopeful it would be a byproduct of Swedish approach but has acknowledged it would not occur as a result of their approach.

I don’t ignore the difference in Covid positive deaths in the Nordic countries - I posted a study that proposed a main factor in that difference was border closure early on, or lack thereof.

Sweden may not gain financially, but is better buffered than countries that borrowed billions to pay employees to stay home.

I wouldnt say its irrelevant altogether. But the main factor above everything by a gazillion miles is age especially old age. To put single home occupancy anywhere near 'old age' to invalidate my argument is something I cant follow.

Ah but I didn't. Of course I didn't.

I'm saying Sweden squandered a very real natural advantage. Especially, as a huge number of elderly people in Sweden live alone.

It's very closely related to your argument.

You however equated my entirely valid point with Volvo drivers and Ikea furniture, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Their other natural advantage being bordered by low density countries who attempted to tackle the virus.

I don't see their approach as being scaleable, they took a free ride on the backs of their neighbours plus also had what seems to be significant voluntary changes in behaviour by Swedes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Maybe I misunderstood your point but I'm not sure that's entirely my fault. No worries anyway.

What Tegnell has said in public and what he has said when putting his herd immunity strategy into effect are two separate worlds.You are determined to ignore what he said in the e-mails he didn`t delete, but that does not change the facts.

When it came to considering public health as a whole and school children, the elderly and vulnerable didn`t get much consideration. In discussion with his Finnish counterpart Mika Salminen he said " One point would be to keep schools open to reach herd immunity". In reply Salminen said Finland had rejected this as "over time, the children are still going to spread the infection" and that closing schools would reduce the spread of infections amongst the elderly by around 10%. Tegnell`s reply " 10% might be worth it"

Not only did Sweden keep schools open for those under 16, it insisted on full attendance with non-compliance resulting in reports to social services and fines, even for families in high risk groups.

If Tegnell was "hopeful" that his strategy would lead to infection rates for 70% -80% as a secondary result for the total population of Sweden, then what was his primary hope when he already knew the possible death rates for the elderly and vulnerable of his strategy from such infection rates ?

Like the other Nordic countries Sweden had a choice on closing it`s borders but rejected the idea. Even so, it`s naive imo to ignore all the other means it`s neighbours used to tackle this pandemic, (that Sweden also rejected), as factors in their vastly different numbers of deaths.

As has been discussed here in the past, when you include those employees in Sweden who were classified as on furlough (and as such not included in their unemployed figures) then their was no discernible difference between Sweden and others.

Terribly depressing all the energy wasted on this proxy agenda "discussion"

Proxy I have always understood as acting on behave of others with their full knowledge. I do not see how the strategy by Tegnell & Co of naturally acquired herd immunity could be classified as such.

Iceland does not have everyone vaccinated. They have 71.5% of the population fully vaccinated. He also failed to point out the percentage required for herd immunity is the same for vaccinated or naturally acquired.

The difference is that being vaccinated greatly reduces your chances of severe illness or death. Something that is apparent with their latest surge where there have been no deaths, 97% of thees new cases have experienced either mild or no symptoms, and just 18 have been hospialised.

Something I thought especially remiss of him not mentioning, as the article goes on to say children can become seriously ill if they become infected with the Delta variant, is that they account for over 20% of the population and that few if any of the 12 - 16 age group have yet been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"The epidemiologist believes that it is now necessary to try to achieve herd immunity to the coronary virus by letting it continue, but to try to prevent serious illness by protecting vulnerable groups. He says the goal at this point cannot be to eradicate the virus from society."

Awkward sentence due to google translate I imagine.

And yes I concede he says they have the majority vaccinated not everyone but the gist of the message remains the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No, I was told on another thread I was lying and spreading misinformation for posting that

Advertisement