Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

ive a 12month old lm bull weighs about 330kg. whats he worth at the mo?
    debating keeping him with a few that are in calf anf giving them a bit of meal for a month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭High bike

If he's a nice shapely lad I'd say 850-900,depending on what mart

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

High bike wrote: »
    If he's a nice shapely lad I'd say 850-900,depending on what mart

castleisland listowel gortathlea.
    not an awesome animal. but has come on with the grass
    might chance him tomorrow, hes chasing the cows for a couple days before they actually bulling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Sold cattle (600 kgs - 750 Kgs) in the mart yesterday LMx and AAx, got from €2.53 / kg lw - €2.64 / kg lw for them, so happy with them.

Long may the On line element of the mart stay, as there wasn't 20 buyers in the places but the auctioneer couldn't keep up with the bids that were coming in on line for the heavy cattle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I sold 5 bullocks in Castlerea today for one of the uncle's and there seemed to be a bigger than normal sale for this time of year. The bullocks were all May/June 2019 born and were bought as handy yearlings in late April 2020 at €770 privately.

685kg CHx €1750

625kg CHx €1630

660kg CHx €1560

630kg CHx €1500

605kg AAx (mousey CHx really) €1390

The first 4 were good framey CHx cattle but only good forward stores, the AAx was a butty fleshy lad that I was never that impressed with and I didn't think he'd ever gross that sort of money tbh. They more than doubled there money in 15 months and although they'd have gotten a fair bit of meal over winter I still think they left a twist. The biggest problem will be trying to replace them with anything resembling value as small cattle are seriously dear atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There was hex heifer reared calves in Mautys last night. Well presented...175kg €560

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The mousy AAxCH would make at least that.in the factory or even a tad more. Would expect him to grade R so with QA would have gross price of 4.55/ kg. He could kill anything from 315-325kgs DW so 1420-1480.

Small bits of AA heifers and butty bullocks that are 550 LW are hitting 1250 in the factory.

Slava Ukrainii

The herd isn't QA and the AAx was the only one fit to kill imo so I still think he did good enough in the mart. It's great to see good live prices for heavy cattle for lad's with small number's to sell. If I was to have went to the factory with the single AAx non QA bullock and paid haulage I'd hardly net the top price either? There's very few cattle fed to slaughter locally, it's mainly suckler to weanlings or weanlings to store so I'd have little knowledge of what stock should grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You are cherry picking one lot in the sale other prices from sheets aa 6 monthe bulls 290 E560

aa 3 months bulls 145kg E390

wh 6 months bulls 280kg E540

wh 3 months 195kg E480

I taught prices for store bullock and heifers back a good E50 /head this week in Listowel good wh bullock not fully reacking E2 /kg

I think it's a trick that some farmers are missing is know the factory price v the mart value and not being QA.

Saw it during the week QA GE heifers making about 100/head less than the factory. As well heavy U30 month bullocks non QA, half made less than there non QA price the other half made the non QA price. There was about 10 cattle from one lad about 730kgs average LW, HE and Fr. He lost 500 euro on the non QA price alone and another 700 if he was QA and gone to the factory.

After doing that much work leaving 120/head on average behind you is criminal.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with you that it's important to know the value of what you have and the difference that being QA can make. The AAx lad was bought on a bundle of CHx weanlings and he wasn't the type of weanling I'd normally buy if given the opportunity. I try to buy framey type weanlings for him that will thrive well for 12-18 month's before selling again as forward store's. Getting him into QA has always been an intention but he's not that open to those sort of idea's (older single man who doesn't want "hassle"). I advise him to sell as forward stores at circa 24 months to allow the next man time to finish them and qualify for the QA.

It was interesting to see how the AAx compared to comrade CHx on the same land and feeding regime. They would have gotten average quality silage and some meal over winter and were summered on average type heavy land. The AAx came off it fat compared to the CHx being fit, I'd still prefer the CHx to sell as a store but it was interesting to see the difference all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ah runners were poison on wed night there. I thought the older cattle wer not so dear throughout the sale.

I sold Jan '20 born ch blks in skibb today 572kg €1460 and 552kg €1350.

Not disagreeing with you regarding one or two cattle. But you see bunches of fit cattle not QA within days of thirty months. I was in Gortnalea tonight and there was a lot of finished cattle over and under 30 months, QA and non QA. For most of the night the were selling up to 150 less than factory price. Mostly it was AA and HE that were not hitting factory price. Some got to witnin 50 euro of it. There was about a 30 minute period in the bullocks where heavy over 30 month cattle were making factory price bit for most of the rest of the night it went the other way.

What surprised me most was there was a lot of them bought online. I would have taught the lads around the ring would have pushed them a bit more.One other thing I noticed a lot of the lads around the ring disappeared with about 90 minutes to go but prices still held fairy well

Slava Ukrainii

Most of the marts I'd frequent would sell mostly weanlings/lighter stores and cows so I wouldn't see bundles of factory fit stock on a regular enough basis to gauge them. Gortnalea seems to be some operation and there's a few lad's from this part of the world that go to it regular enough. I'd go for the spin sometime and chance of few of those cheaper southern cattle I hear so much about only that I work Friday night and it's hard to get away.

In Castlerea yesterday it was noticeable the amount of online activity for the heavy bullocks and short keep types. The bidding would light up when anything fleshy came in with multiple bidders online and almost all sold to online buyer's. For the rest of the poorer bullocks/long keep types there was very little online activity unless they looked real good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

In skibb yest heavy bullocks back a bit but weanlings... Gonna be expensive 2chx & 1lm 240kg making 840...Dont know how can make money at that price...

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Weanlings we’re better in castleisland this week

Cattle that I taught that were making good money were shirt keep cattle and stores that could be finished before and after Christmas. I saw 30 month Friesians 450-510 kgs making 750-800 euro. Continentals 18-30 months 450-600 kgs making 2.5/ kg and the unfitter they were( could carry to heavier weights) the more they made. I saw an AA 14-17 months 570 kgs make 1280, 465 make 1130, 495 make 1110,462 make 1040, in one after another and this was the way for this type of cattle all night while 27-30 months cattle admittedly some non QA that were that weight were making 130-150 less.

On the way the mart lights up with real heavy 700 kg plus cattle one bidders will make there calculations very fast and bid away. Some lads think when an animal goes over 1.5 k in a Fr/HE/ AA it's serious money and if they hit 1700 that someone hit the jackpot. Except for 4-5 lots of mostly single heavy bullocks all the rest made 100-150 less than factory price. One lot even made 200 less and I was calculating off QA or non QA prices depending on the circumstances

Long term cattle( over 6 months keep) are softening from what I can see. In another 2-3 weeks the glut will start. Gortnalea ran to after 9pm last night first week in August. Admittedly most of the cattle there are heavy cattle, advanced or better quality store 450 kg plus

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭893bet

Have a lot of cattle that should been coming fit to kill of grass autumn time been brought forward already and killed earlier than planned I wonder.

Will this protect the price a little into the autumn?

Did anyone e see the Lim x heifer that made 2600 in Ennis today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

430kgs selling for €2,600. €6.05/kg. She’d want to be cleaning the house and cooking the dinner and all for you!!

I didn’t see her but would love to know from anyone that did what made her so special?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Rumours she had cocaine hidden in her hooves😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s a pic of her on the Dovea genetics Facebook page.

Wilodge Joskins x Crossmalina Euro.

Didn't see her,she had just left the ring when I turned it on.The bidding was at 1700 at that stage,couldn't believe what I was watching

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

People go the extra mile for their hobby if she was bought for showing/breeding show cattle.

LOcals are paying 5 -6000 here for bikes for sunday spins

I can never understand the gra for going out and paying massive money for weanling heifers or bulls for showing that you have not bred yourself. I can understand pens of bullocks or single ones you have fattened for 12-18 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Niallers87

An Eby heifer made the same in Gort this evening...must be the colour...

Taking two fat cows to six mile bridge in morning. Half sorry didn’t try factory. Won’t make me or break me either way

Both around 730kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Fine pair of cows, you will do well in the Mart with them.

• Advertisement

Hopefully.

We rarely finish anything as we usually sell as weanling and stores. If we we rarely grade well at factory so usually go mart. Kind regretting it based on all the posts here the last week.

Advertisement