Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

New 7 day lockdown for Victoria

Victoria enters sixth lockdown in response to new mystery COVID-19 cases

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-05/victoria-covid-19-lockdown-restrictions-tightened-/100352444

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

It looks like Australia has gone into perpetual lockdown. No hope in hell they'll be out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Don't be silly. Australia applies local and short term lockdowns in response to changing circumstances. You couldn't keep seeing new headlines about new lockdowns if Australia was in "perpetual lockdown".

If there's anything perpetual here, it's your fact-free reality-denying view of the situation in Australia.

I reckon gral6 was either deported, for overstaying his visa, or failed the criteria for a long term visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

We had around 290 on the 5th. It's been sitting around 240 all week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

@ceadaoin. and @gral6 what is this bizarre obsession you guys have with painting Australia like it’s some sort of prison camp hellhole? It’s funny to read but it’s very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That it is still the only strategy 16 months on, is problematic. In the face of a more transmissible variant it highlights the inherent weakness of a Zero COVID.

The long-term strategy is, and always has been, vaccination. This has not been well-implemented, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the long-term strategy.

Lockdowns, social restrictions and travel restrictions are an interim strategy until vaccination is achieved. This is true for pretty much all countries, but Australia has taken the approach of using lockdown and other restrictions with a view to keeping covid infection as close to zero as possible, while other countries have had less ambitious goals.

The Australian strategy has been strikingly successful. Not only has Australia had much lower covid infection and death rates than other countries, but to date it has achieved that with considerably less in the way of social and personal restrictions, and at a markedly lower economic cost, than countries that have taken the less ambitious approach.

Obviously, the happy outcome for Australia has also been supported by factors like geographical isolation that are not replicated in other countries. I am not suggesting that, if other countries had mirrored Australia's policy on social and travel restrictions, they would have achieved the same outcomes. But, for a country situated as Australia is, those policies have worked very well. They were clearly the right policies for Australia to adopt.

There is much to criticise in what Australia has done - most obviously, in relation to the rollout of vaccination. But I am frankly bewildered at people who ignore this, but seem to have a bizarre obsession with attacking Australia in relation to things that Australia has plainly got right.

The relative isolation of Australia has allowed it to do what it has done. It's not what they did or did not get right, it is the assertion that Zero COVID and all that entails works. It really doesn't and you end up with an extended stop start scenario that they and other countries are now facing. What they have done doesn't matter as they are now dealing with a very different situation. As you say they, like some other countries, are now failing in a key area that could see them out of this. Some commentary now is suggesting that it will be well into next year before actual normality returns but if the populace are OK with that then it works.

No, you're still confusing the two issues. Australia isn't facing intermittent lockdowns, etc, because of its zero covid strategy; it's facing intermittent lockdowns because of its poor progress with vaccination. Not pursuing zero covid wouldn't have made vaccination go any faster; it would have just meant more people being infected, more people dying, more or longer lockdowns and a greater economic hit over the past months. And that's still true. Abandoning zero covid now still won't make vaccination go any faster; it will just mean more people getting sick and dying, more or longer lockdowns and a bigger economic hit over the coming months.

You say we're facing a different situation now but, really, we're not. Other countries are facing a different situation because they have achieved high rates of vaccination. We haven't, which means we're still basically in the situation we were in a year ago. And the strategies which were the right strategies for that situation then (because, as you say, of our relative isolation) are still the right strategies for the same situation now (because our relative isolation hasn't changed).

If anything has changed, its the arrival of the delta variant. But that's not a change which would make you ease up on lockdowns and social restrictions; quite the opposite. If the delta virus means that a zero covid strategy now involves a more frequent of lockdowns than were involved a year a go, it also means that not pursuing a zero covid strategy involves a longer lockdowns, more infections and deaths and a higher economic cost it would have involved a year ago. That's not much of an argument for abandoning zero covid, is it?

It's not a question of the population being OK with actual normality not returning until some time next year. Whether the population is OK with it or not, actual normality will not return until some time next year. The choice is about what happens in the meantime; we can choose earlier and more frequent lockdowns, fewer infections, fewer deaths and lower economic cost, or later and longer lockdowns, more infections, more deaths and higher economic cost. It's an unpleasant choice to face, but not a difficult one to make.

And, by and large, people see this; criticism and political dissatisfaction is not directed at the earlier-and-more-frequent lockdown strategy so much as at the poor vaccination strategy.

• Advertisement

No, you're still confusing the two issues. Australia isn't facing intermittent lockdowns, etc, because of its zero covid strategy; it's facing intermittent lockdowns because of its poor progress with vaccination. Not pursuing zero covid wouldn't have made vaccination go any faster;

No. the two are linked. Zero COVID is still the approach to deal with cases, which are in turn exacerbated by the lack of vaccinations. Our high rates of vaccination have squeezed Delta into the very youngest and the least likely to end up in hospital.

Yeah, but Australia doesn't have high rates of vaccination. Given that, zero covid remains the optimal strategy for managing the risk until vaccination is achieved. The factors which made it the optimal strategy a year ago are all still in place, and if anything are intensified by the arrival of the Delta variant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is there any flu so far in Oz (is it coming into winter time?) I know last year it was very low

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

This article about China's zero Covid policy is interesting. Obviously I am not directly comparing China with Australia - there are many, many, many differences. There are also some similarities as the strategies are the same

Beijing’s thinking, according to experts, was to keep new infections to as low as possible while rolling out its nationwide mass vaccination programme, which Reuters calculated should have covered about 61.1% of the population. 

However, “China’s ‘zero-tolerance’ policy is seeing its diminishing return, and the cost of implementing it is becoming higher and higher,” said Huang Yanzhong, a prominent Chinese public health expert at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York.

The interesting question for me is how do Governments that have been successful in defending their people thru zero Covid open up because at that point Covid will surge.

If it is a disaster, then in Australia it means the end of the Morrison Government.

If it is a disaster, In China where Xi has used the Covid response to highlight the superiority of the Chinese system then what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think one of the problems with Zero Covid that in the long term, it can become a victim of its own success. If Covid is perceived to be of little risk to a country, then vaccine hesitancy becomes a significant problem.

Also, are Australians allowed leave Australia? I was aware of the restrictions on inbound travel, but I didn't realise that permission was needed to leave. Is that the same that we had a few months ago, where you'd be fined if you didn't have a good reason for foreign travel or is it a stricter policy?

Awful. Permission is needed to return into your country. What have they done to Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I dont think I have been? Certainly never used the word hellhole. Just posting factual things and my opinion on their strategy. Didn't know that wasn't allowed on a site for posting opinions! As someone else said, like many Irish people I've spent time in Australia so its mildly interesting to me.

In the latest news, if you manage to get back to Australia as a citizen, say to see your dying relative, you won't be able to leave again. I know of people who are citizens of other countries being denied permission to leave. Seems a bit harsh. What is the logic behind not letting someone leave who won't be coming back anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm heading there in October, my partner (we're not married) is Australian and we're heading over for a wedding.Im not looking forward to quarantine but it was fairly easy to get permission to enter,I'm not anticipating any issues coming back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Lockdowns dont work. It is arguable that they have made it worse by allowing variants to gain hold. They delayed the inevitable. The argument for waiting for vaccines has now been proved to be pointless. Vaccines are behind the curve and are imperfect. Australia and NZ are a tinderpot of vulnerable who will be taken when the virus propagates and mutates further. There is no easy answer.

You have not got there yet. Hope, wedding does not take place in Sydney

• Advertisement

Well hopefully you get permission to leave again otherwise it might be a longer stay than you anticipated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

They've changed it to stop people coming and going from Australia. If you don't normally live in Australia, you can leave, but that's not going to wash if you've been back to Australia multiple times a year visiting. You can move back permanently, or stay overseas until the borders fully open.

So basically unless you're moving back permanently, you're not wanted? It doesn't say anything about "multiple" times. If that was the case why not give everyone 1 "free" visit and after that apply the rules? Can't see your family for years, no matter what the reason (you have to justify going back in the first place). Yeah, that's perfectly normal behaviour towards citizens. Nothing to see here.

I can't believe more people there aren't starting to think, actually wtf is going on? Maybe they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That’s a step too fr IMO

But Australia has had very little in the way of lockdowns - far less than the UK or Ireland. If "lockdowns make the situation worse tby allowing variants to gain hold" and if "the argument for vaccines has been proved pointless", then you'd have to conclude, wouldn't you, that the UK and Ireland are in a much, much worse situation than Australia — and, it follows, that Australia's policies have worked much better for Australia than UK/IRL policies have worked for UK and IRL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

It is incredibly frustrating reading some of the replies here, all from people who dont even live in Australia.

The vast vast majority of the population is tolerant of the status quo. Yup, its not ideal but the situation isnt ideal either.

The premier of WA said recently one bloke had been through hotel quarantine 6 times in the last 18 months, thats taking the places of people who have genuinely been stranded abroad.

Theres a bloke i know who has gone back to the UK with his mrs and kid, they applied for the approval to leave and lied on the form saying that one of the grandparents was dying and wanted to see the grandkid before they died. Its **** twats like this that bring covid back into the country.

It is fecking madness that people have to apply for permission to leave and return into their country and there is no guarantee. Thanks god, Matt Damon does not have to do it. Shame on you Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I suppose it all depends on one's definition of "The Vast Majority",or indeed the vast majority of whomever you are thinking of. The Status Quo may well be fine & Jim Dandy if you are one of those lucky to be a Bondi resident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57952516

It all hinges on how long the Australian Government can impose an isolationist policy in a Globalist economy....Unchartered waters,which could well see China navigating further into the murky Australian sea......but hey !......it's a deadly Pandemic.....innit ?

Meantime it appears that a tiny minority (?) of Australia's inhabitants are not quite so tolerant of Status Quo,Australian Style ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57952516

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Oh, the Australian economy is still 100% globalist. Goods enter and leave Australia in the quantities that they always did. Merchant shipping hasn't been cut off. Australia remains a very open economy. It's just personal travel that's restricted.

As for protests, it's generally true - not just in relation to Covid issues - that the presence or absence of protests tells you very little about broad public opinion on any issue. It tells you that there's a small number of people who feel very strongly about the issue, but it tells you nothing about the feelings of people not protesting. Governments know they can basically ignore protests unless they are attracting very large numbers or very wide and deep expressions of support.

These ones aren't. The latest Essential Research opinion poll included a question on attitudes to the lockdown protests. 8% strongly supported the protests; 57% strongly opposed them. If you add "strongly support" and "somewhat support" together, and do the same for opposition, you get 18% supporting the protests to some degree and 67% opposing them to some degree. The government will be very comfortable with those figures.

Other findings from the same survey: 13% thought that the NSW government moved too quickly to lockdown in response to the latest infections; 54% thought they moved too slowly. Within NSW, 11% think the lockdown is too harsh; 50% think it is not harsh enough.

So not much support there, really, for the idea that the country thinks that lockdown restrictions are unwarranted, and should be lifted.

Which is not to say that everything is rosy for the government. People are pissed off that the lockdowns are necessary. But there's a great gap between being pissed off that the lockdowns are necessary and thinking that they should be lifted.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Thank you Perengrinus. You had the patience to post along the lines of what i was thinking

Our premier had an 88% approval rating coming up to the last election, gee he must be unpopular with the masses. And Mark McGowan has been the most trigger happy when it comes to snap lockdowns

Advertisement