Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micheal Martin- we saved 2245 lives, apparently

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Says the OP who mentioned her in his OP.

Most of your rubbish has been soundly answered over the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think there were fewer "assumptions" in Wiles' 129-page proof of Fermat's last theorem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Boards.ie has no shortage of people who hate the government and are incredibly anti lockdown, anti masks or anti vaxx.

Yet no one has agreed with the OP. No one has even done the "Well, I don't agree with everything he says but..." routine.

OP, does that not tell you something? This is genuinely off the wall mental stuff and the absence of the cavalry coming over the hill should be a red flag, even for you.

Edit : wait, this is the guy who can't count to three? Aaaah. Now I see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"And anybody who has spent much time around elderly relatives will attest that most of them have a fairly come what may attitude to death as the years go on- as the body starts wearing out living forever for most seems a chore than an aspiration."

'old people yearn for the sweet release of death'.

Yep. He cant count to three and is banging on about "simple maths"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

It's quite early. Most of them are probably having a lie in after a hard week in work. Unlike most of the lockdown enthusiasts.

The pro lockdown brigade here are probably up early for once because the PBP have a march on in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I will say one thing.

I am glad I don't live in your world. And I am particularly glad I have never encountered people like you lot within my world. It is scary, and it is a subculture I really didn't think existed outside of the pronoun loons on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gravity10

What is the population of Sweden, how many people contracted covid, how many people died?

What is the population of Ireland, how many people contracted covid, how many people died?

What is the population of England, how many people contracted covid, how many people died?

You're being accused of a lack of critical thinking which must seem terrifically unfair, so exhibit some, run the numbers based on comparable facts not influenced politically or journalistically. reduce it to a percentage if you must - but the number dead (if we went the Swedish route) is a good deal more than the figures in your original post. Once you've ran the numbers, put a price on each one so you can value human life monetarily based on the economic figures.

I could give less of a **** about political potentates, journalists, and naval gazers. One of my business partners is 33, on autoimmune meds, and if she contracted covid she could very well die - please tell me how much her life is worth - I'm all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What's this about counting to three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The OP started another thread ranting about needing a "third" vaccine to go for pints.

But it turned he'd actually only had one vaccine and thought that should be enough.

As well as being an authority in eugenics, statistics and economics, he's also a leading immunologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

insert 'am i out of touch? no, it's the children who are wrong' gif.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ah, that guy. I went into that thread expecting it to be giving out about the Pfizer booster, and was a little surprised....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

Stay safe, OP. Stay home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd take the view that MM can throw out all the maths he likes but we won't actually know how many people were saved or died as a result of all of this for another few years, if ever.

We may have tipped the balance in favour of saving people from Covid through restrictions, but equally it is highly possible that we weighted it much heavier on the side of everything else that can kill people in the next 5-10 years - be it through mental health problems, reduced hospital capacity, people delaying GP appointments, increased hospital lists, and the works.It's a very short-sighted topic for MM to open up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, your understanding of the situation is not particularly strong.

It is not the case that if there were no restrictions that the only impact that there would have been was the 2700 people who would have died. The "17 million cost per person" calculation makes no sense.

There simple fact is that there would have been chaos in the health service, likely ending up costing multiples of any amount spent over the past 18 month on prevention.

2300 more people died in those 12 months compared to what would have been otherwise expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You don't provide statistics though. You're adding in "I think", "assume" and doing questionable sums on the numbers.

Underlying conditions may only reveal themselves when the body is placed under stress. You may find that you have a long-standing underlying condition that complicates treatment after being hit by a car. Or it can be stress on your system from being overweight, lung issues from your work environment.

An athletic & fit colleague of mine passed away this year; yes I'm confident as I can be that she would had decades of life had it not been for covid.

Your comment about deaths for untreated cancers; what makes you believe that the hospitals would have been in a better place to treat them with an greater level of covid patient demands for quarantined beds, medications, doctors and nurses?

The 40 billion cost. Broken down as business supports, wage subsidies, health increased expenditure. Had Ireland's government taken the Sweden-alike path, there still would have been a necessity for a lot of this, as internal and external trading and tourism decreased.

"I have met absolutely zero, not one, single member of the public who thinks like you people do, at least none who are under a certain age". You're contradicting yourself in one sentence. As we age we get to know a more varied group of people, and many are lovely people, being considerate about their vulnerability to infection is not a hardship.

As for loyalty to government?

They failed to get protective measures for care homes. They failed with getting people to wear masks earlier. They pretty much immediately gave up regarding testing and tracing. Did/do you see anyone checking people for having a fever / cough before travelling?

What covid results do you think you'd get if you checked the commuters on a Friday evening train? I'd guess more infections than the Healy-Rae pub.

A lot of the government measures and spending are politically driven. Business supports and wage subsidies. What Irish election party would not have done those?

Mostly water under the bridge at this point, but have we learned anything to apply / avoid in case of a Covid / SARS 2029?

Repeat closing the schools and churches? Close the airports / quarantine air passengers earlier and not whinge about "EU treaties don't allow us?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Mostly due to the effects of so-called "lockdowns".

• Advertisement

It's up to yourself as to what to believe. You are free to believe that the lockdowns caused the deaths and if there was no lockdowns then they would not have happened. There is no point in anyone else trying to change your opinion at this stage. It's 18 months into it.

Likewise, if there was a terrible car crash and firemen arrive promptly and cut the passengers from the wreckage, managing to get them to medical help quickly enough to save 3 out of the 4 of them, you can also believe that if they had never arrived on the scene, that all four would have survived.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not warranting a dedicated thread, particularly when most of the posts are not discussing the "topic"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement