Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

Are you on desktop? Because anyone that is used to using the old touch site absolutely hates the changes, it's horrific on mobile.

I'm posting here very little now, I have not subscribed to a single new thread since the change, am just following a few older threads I've been following but if they die I'll be gone from this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

On mobile at the minute. Android on Chrome browser. The look of it feels a bit uneasy alright but I'm navigating the site just fine. What specifically do you not like about the mobile version and are they planning on fixing whatever it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I'm finding it awfully hard to read what's going on at the moment. Is it optimism because of success of the fork or is it the drought of bad news (no more china bad news, regulation etc)

I'm eager to see what effect the fee burning has when the dust settles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Some guys trying to capitalise on the fact that Boards mishandled their migration. But at the end of the day the value of this type of site is about the network effect of and the community of people taking part and as long as it does the job the UI is secondary.

I think boards has already improved things (or it might be that I had missed some feature initially) and is at least for me it is getting better. I’d say most likely they will go through this and no other site will take over as what the have (a single website for discussing any topic related to Ireland) is very hard to achieve/replicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

On the old platform, on a laptop/desktop, there were two tabs I used a lot; My Threads, Latest Posts. The header of each tab was a link. Clicking on it would take you to the latest threads - which you were subscribed to by just posting in - you were subscribed to. That doesn't happen now. If you were viewing your threads, clicking on the title header would refresh the list of subscribed threads with the most recently posted to appearing at the top. This was handy. Now, it doesn't work like that. Clicking on the header does nothing. To refresh the my threads view, you have to either reload the page, which takes you to the Latest Posts View where you then need to click on the My Threads link again. If you are already in that view and want to see the latest posts to the latest threads on Boards, and you click on the Latest Posts header, that isn't what you get. If you last refreshed Boards an hour ago, those are the threads and posts you will see by clicking that header - posts made an hour ago. You have to refresh the page to actually see what the header promises. The straight forward rapid usability has gone, it's now multiple clicks to get to see what one click used to do.

I used to use the My Posts feature to find past posts. That's gone. Also the site is far slower in page loading than before. Round trip to Canada I presume. I haven't even bothered to see if you can multi quote post or the like.

The Editor is annoying - hit enter and it inserts two paragraph breaks and you have to hit delete to get rid of one and not have stupid spacing.

All in all, it just sucks; badly, compared to the straight forward usability of the old, where things did what they said and said what they meant. now you have to consciously try and remember things don't mean what they say and don't do what they promise.

• Advertisement

There are lots of features lost from the old touch site to what it is now. It's slower, much harder navigate, harder to find forums, you can't see who posted in threads, you can't see who liked posts. It's all alien. It's a complete mess.

Whoever's in charge clearly didn't use the site on a regular basis. All of the useful features should have been implemented before the migration. Or as many others have said - why didn't they do a trial run of the new site like so many other sites do? Give the option to revert to the old site for a year or so until all the kinks are worked out.

I think the site will improve a lot from what it is now but the damage to the user confidence with the week of downtime and all the current issues will be hard to recover from. The forums are a ghost town at the moment which is not good.

Most of the threads I've been following have now turned into discussions about how bad the site is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Email notifications have been disabled, moved and hidden, but they are still available:

Go to the top of the page, click on the notification Bell icon.

On the right side of the header, next to the word 'Notifications', you will see an icon with sliders. Click on that, and you will see all the email notification options, which are more detailed and comprehensive than ever before.

I tried enabling some email notifications that resemble the old board behaviour, worked perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Exactly what I did, now just don't bother

At least crypto has given us something to be cheerful about and looking even better today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

13 new notifications in the crypto thread!! All complaints about the site 🙄

US voting on their crypto bill today. It's mainly boomers who don't (or don't want to) understand the tech voting so will probably not be the one the crypto industry wants. They'll be driving innovation away from the US if that's the case.

I think the bulk of US government members and representatives don't really understand or care as you mention. But there is a small minority which knows perfectly what they are doing and are deliberately acting against crypto, as they are increasingly concerned that it could hinder their vast debt monetisation policies in the future. Elisabeth Warren is clearly in that camp and has been firing any argument she can find against crypto in the past few months (including some dodgy ones). Apparently Janet Yellen is now also working in the background to sabotage the bi-partisan amendment which was gaining strong support and would have made the bill more workable from a crypto perspective (in its current form it is imposing impossible to comply with requirement to developers and miners, and the amendment would be fixing that while preserving reporting requirement for brokers and exchanges).

And the strange thing is that this is a massive $1T infrastructure investment bill which is 2700 pages long, so the few lines on the crypto reporting aspect should be considered an insignificant detail which can either be compromised on with the amendment or pushed for a further separate review. But it looks like their is strong lobbying to pass it as-is, so I think there is political will to hit crypto here with a very well understood goal.

If the bill is passed as it stands though, I don't think it will only drive innovation away from the US. It would also impact the global crypto landscape as whether we like it or not any project which is not compliant with US legislation will see its network effect drastically reduced. For exemple POS mining would have reporting requirements to tax authorities which are pretty much impossible to comply with, and if POS mining becomes unpractical in the US, then any project which relies on it (including ETH 2.0) is taking a hit.

Post edited by Bob24 on

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

The wording of the bill has since been edited to now include PoS, so it won't be treated any differently to PoW:

This is one of the competing proposed amendment I believe? (I.e. not included in the bill for now)

As the tweet says the wording seems poor as it is still picking specific consensus mechanisms and excluding any other potential ones (if kind of shows that those guys don’t know what they are doing, they probably have no clue about the technical implications of their wording). And unless it is further down in the wording and missing from the screenshot, it doesn’t deem to specifically exclude developers like the Wyden-Lummis-Toomey propose amendment does?

Looks like there is yet another proposed amendment (but I couldn’t find it detailed wording:

Pretty messy but at least the issue is getting visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Well I'm not a regular user and there's clearly functions that I don't appreciate having been impacted so I'm probably less susceptible to the hiccups you both mention. I get the impression that there's too much involved in the communication between the Boards team here and the new guys who are designing everything. Hopefully the feedback from users like yourselves makes its way back to who needs to hear because the site is noticeably less busy and I haven't seen any ads?

On crypto though, I'm liking where bitcoin is at the minute. A year or two ago I probably would have sold now and probably watch it continue up but I've been once bitten. I'm in at 27k after selling at 7k, sickening to think about and hoping I'm not in on the peak of the fall but sure look, I haven't invested anything I'm not willing to lose.

That's one thing I've also learned in the last year: FOMO feels worse than getting rekt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The big fella is showing good strength. If it can hold around these prices for a few weeks we will be in for a wealthy winter

• Advertisement

It's a crypto fund on eToro with a selection of 16 cryptos. It usually performs very well, unless like me you opened in May :-) But an example of its good performance, I'm now only down 19% (I had been down 46% at 9ne point with the last month). That's some serious turnaround. I'm confident now I can go +10% and and that point I'll stick a trailing stop loss on it. Let it grow and when it crashes again it'll automatically cash in.

Yes I know the spread on eToro is poor but the reality is you're paying your fees in the spread and also I'm no expert and the effort to setup a similar fund myself and manage it...nah I'll happily pay someone for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Do you mean Bitcoin itself?

I've some BTC and ETH I picked up a few months ago before the recent drop. Good to see them back to what I paid for them. I'm wondering if they will go much higher. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yep Bitcoin.

This is the crucial part of the fight for Bitcoin. It's past every important resistance at the moment but it needs to hold and retest it as support over the next few weeks. In the past there was relief rallys similar to last 2 weeks that have failed at this stage which confirms the bear market.

No stress at all :p

Good morning...Vietnam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

resistance level defeated im assuming

Load of 🐂 if you ask me🤷‍♂️

I liked the BTC price I woke up to this morning.

Fair play to those who bought the dip. I only rounded up my bitcoin bag to a nice round figure but wish I put more in 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ADA is flying, nearly back at the price I bought at in May

Advertisement