Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mat_s2020

I've just gone through the process of trying to import a car from the UK as a private person, and it's terrible.

First of all, the car was manufactured outside the UK, before being sold new by a UK dealer and used for 3 years in the UK. It is a VAT qualifying vehicle. Now that it is being exported outside of the UK a 10% customs charge applies as well as 23% Irish VAT. I can get a customs agent to prepare the necessary import paper work for between €100 - €130, and this can be done before importation so the car is cleared before coming in.

The issue is that the price charged by the UK motor dealer includes 20% UK VAT in the sale price, and the Irish Revenue will also want 23% VAT.

So, for clarity, say the car is £10,000 plus £250 delivery charges. UK VAT is charged at 20% on the £10,250 which is £2,050. Total price due to the motor dealer is £12,300.

Now, Irish customs apply a 10% charge on the VAT exclusive price plus the delivery charges, so that's €1,179 customs charge on €11,790 (£12,250 by 0.8695 fx rate). Now the first kicker is that they charge the Irish VAT on the car price+delivery cost+customs tax, so 23% on €12,969 (€11,790+€1,179) which is €2,983. A tax applied on another tax, nice!

So, I pay the UK dealer £12,300 (€14,146) including the 20% UK VAT, and then I pay €1,179 Customs Tax, and €2,983 Irish VAT. I will then have to pay VRT which also seems to be increasing each month, so lets say that is €4,500. My total tax bill for my €14k vehicle is an additional €8,662.

Leaving aside the extortionate taxes, I have not been able to figure out a way of claiming back the UK VAT as an individual?

So, unless you are in the trade and VAT registered, there is absolutely no point in trying to import a car.

What's really annoying is that loads of Irish dealers are still importing and flogging these cars. (They are not charged the UK VAT once they have a VAT number).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

I was on to bca car auctions and they said the vat would have to be paid first and then reclaimed once exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Yes, for cars bought at auction, VAT will already have been paid and the only VAT you can avoid at point of sale to you is the margin on the dealer's profit. The Dealer has already paid it when he bought it other words and won't be too keen to sell without clawing this back! He'll likely leave it to you to reclaim it if you can,.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If it is truly a VAT qualifying car then there is no need for the non-UK customer to pay the UK VAT upfront provided that they are dealing with a UK dealer who operates the personal export system (although it is not that different from the system which existed previously but which only applied to cars less than 6 months old). I have included a link before. I do not know whether UK dealers are just not bothered dealing with this. There are others (e.g. Beck Evans, no connection) who will arrange this for you if necessary by buying the car off the chosen dealer, recovering the VAT and selling the car onto you under the Personal Export Scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-export-scheme-notice-707

Thank you. I don't know why some motor dealers are not applying this scheme? - I also came across this Company (https://www.carexporters.co.uk/about-us.html) who offer to purchase the vehicle on your behalf and not charge you the VAT (no connection). I wonder has anyone used them? (I've also seen Beck Evans through google search).

• Advertisement

Do you have any idea of how, or where the VAT can be reclaimed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭User1998

Only registered dealers can bid on cars at BCA. And you have to be VAT registered to reclaim the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

"Slightly" fresher questions for the gurus. if I buy a car from private seller in UK how do i prove how much i paid for it to revenue?

What if seller demands cash?

also, am i correct to presume the UK government aren't going to be looking for VAT on sale between two private individuals?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasper1422

I'd say you just get a receipt of who you are buying private of. Just like the way it is for when you are paying the VRT. Unless you can get the car cheaper by a good bit when buying private you'd be better off buying from UK dealer who operates the personal export system and hoping you can get the VAT knocked off

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

Thanks for reply Jasper. it is more of a case of a rare (cheapish petrol) car, so dealer is not an option.

would i be right in my statement? no UK vat required if buying from private selller? charges will be purchase price, transport, irish vat , irish customs charge, and the VRT?

• Advertisement

The UK VAT is built into the price from when the car was purchased new

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - has anyone recently bought a car unseen from the UK using the RAC check only? I am considering that I'll need to purchase a new car in the upcoming months and I am thinking of getting a car from GB (I'm in NI) but getting the RAC to check it out for me.

Any feedback on them or this approach? I'd be looking at getting the advanced check - not bothering with the oil check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Assuming that its done honestly, an experienced car inspector will do a waaay more thorough assessment than most Joes, and ought to be able to surface imminent mechanical issues where symptoms are already beginning to show. Things like injector blow-by, oily smoke, unusual noises, bad panel repair as well as drivability, cleanliness etc ought to be waaay more thoroughly assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasper1422

Just wondering can the customs and Vat be paid online before the car is brought into the country or do you have to do it through someone that works in customs? I used to bring in a few cars from Japan years ago and I had to get someone to do the customs part. Just wondering will it be different bringing a car in from the UK and how do I get the customs and Vat paid.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

I begin to doubt them myself. They offer VRT calculator and despite what's in their FAQ regarding the new rules post brexit they calculate 10% customs + vat to cars from 2020. So not sure where's the catch here. I doubt revenue is helpflul enough to give an estimate before one decides to purchase the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

Looking to bring in a BMW 330e hybrid plug in

49 nox €335

Vrt. €2446

Just wondering can I bring it in from Belfast then get it registered in NI then bring into ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How do you plan to register it in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

I have a friend that lives in NI and he can put this in his name.

I could be wrong but I don't think it's that simple.

No you can’t do that. If you could everyone would be doing it

You have to pay 10% customs and 23% VAT. Just forget about importing its not worth it anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭td2008

That's what i always used - i had a quick look on autotrader one evening using my old belfast postcode and a car popped up there that wasn't on usedcarsni which i ended up buying so worth checking too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi Folks,

I'm confused about the above - Is it a waste of time searching for cars up North nowadays? Or is there genuinely NI Dealers advertising cars with all associated charges made clear at the outset so you have some idea as you search through the many options on offer?

You can still import a car from NI without paying VAT or customs duty if the car is a NI registered car or was brought into NI prior to Jan 1st 2021 with proof of such afaik. However because of Brexit and demand from the South the price of used cars in NI has increased meaning the same level of savings are not there as before. Regarding NI dealers giving you a break down of all associated charges, some will make a good effort at it if they have enough southern customers but the new rules are confusing to say the least and at the end of the day, you the buyer are the one from another jurisdiction so really the onus is on you to be aware of what taxes you have to pay to register it down here, not the selling dealer in NI.

Importing from mainland UK has become nearly pointless now for the private Irish buyer as you are lumbered with paying Irish VAT and 10% customs duty on top of VRT. Irish dealers are still bringing used cars in from the UK because they are buying VAT qualifying cars so really are only paying the 10% customs duty on them which they pass onto the Irish buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

Hi ALL - looking for info on importing new/2nd hand electric car (ID.3/Model 3) from NI/GB - anyone researched further please?

It seems no custom duty for new cars from GB + (VRT exemption upto 5K for values < 40K E), VAT is 23% though. Considering Irish market availability, might be worthwhile to analyze, further thoughts welcomed

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Are there any dealers buying to order? E.g. you find a car you want and they bring it in. The way things are looking if i found a spec I like i'd pay the 10% duty rather than settling for something i don't want here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I have got confused !

I have a deposit on a car in N.I ( nothing to do with saving money its a car I specifically want)

When I bring it south do I simply need to make an online appointment on the nct site to have the vehicle accessed for vrt?

Is there any other official procedures or departments to notify in advance or after I bring it down?

Thanks for any advice

If the car was first registered in NI its VRT only

If the car was first registered in the UK and subsequently registered in NI before 2021 its VRT only

Anything else is 10% customs 23% VAT as well as VRT. Eg the car being first registered in the UK and subsequently registered in NI in the past 9 months would attract customs duty and vat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Can someone tell please if I have every document / form in this list ?

Do I need anything else in order to import/ register from Northern Ireland?

VRTVPD 2

U.K REGISTRATION FORM

SALE INVOICE

PPS PROOF. & DRIVING LICENCE

CONFIRMATION OF CO2

Any pointers on where / what confirms co2 is that the uk reg doc ?

• Advertisement

If you have found the car you want why not just go over and bring it in yourself or have it transported? Why involve a dealer who will just be a middle man charging you for their time and effort? There is nothing stopping you importing a car yourself like before, there is just more paperwork involved now from the UK due to Brexit as well as it being more expensive.

Advertisement