Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tokyo 2020: Athletics Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yeah it must be devastating having to drop out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Wonder will Mazuronak come back for a podium... they are all burning up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Seidel dropping off now it seems...some effort though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nooo Seidel's falling away... although maybe a chance of bronze?

Wow...Salpeter stops the minute she dropped to 4th

Wow, can Seidel hang on for bronze here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

• Advertisement

Come on Molly..

Where are they getting 50m gap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Augme

I wonder if the Washington Post will be questioning molly siedel performance. Somehow I doubt it.

Diver takes 10th place...Up Mayo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sinead Diver 10th. Fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

Fantastic performance by Sinead Diver. She is a real battler, picking people of as the race went on. Good running by Fionnuala, steady in the last 10k. Disappointed to see Aoife drop out, she had worked so hard to get there. Seems like very tough conditions.

Not sure what to make of Seidel’s performance. I never heard of her. I would have liked to see Salpeter medal, I like for her story, but once she was passed for 3rd she just seemed to give up.

Wow Sinead, 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

On Wikipedia already!

Molly Seidel (born July 12, 1994) is an American long distance runner. In her first-ever marathon,[3] Seidel placed second at the 2020 U.S. Marathon Olympic Trials, securing a spot on the US team in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in which she won the bronze medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Augme

They had a not-so-subtle article about Lamont Jacobs after he won the 100m

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/08/01/lamont-marcell-jacobs-italy-100-meters/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Terrific run by all three medalists. Molly Seidel was a shock but she stuck her nose in there and battled to the end. Great running by Sinead Diver to finish top ten and Fionnuala McCormack was solid, particularly given that she had her second child fairly recently.

On the topic of Volha Mazuronak, I find her very frustrating. In my view, she has the talent to medal at a major championships, but she does this every single time. She runs the first half way too conservatively and then comes through like a steam train in the second half to finish fourth or fifth. If she could just go out that bit more aggressively, a podium place is feasible for her. I get that the heat and humidity is a major concern for European athletes, but sometimes you just have to put it on the line like Molly Seidel did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

What's Molly Seidels pedigree like in other distances?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

enjoyed a Molly Seidel video on the sweat Elite you tube channel couple weeks ago. one with Stephen Scullion on there as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am noticing this with him as well. No real drama or change in his commentary, or structure.

Last night he said the 4x400 men's relay on now, when it was 4x100

Difficult to see what kind of race we might get here. In spite of the fatigue I think Hassan will be in the top two with Gidey. Whether she can contend for gold is the question, but if she's still with Gidey with a mile to go then I think she'll win.

Would like either Obiri or Klosterhalfen to get the bronze. Unfortunately Klosterhalfen was injured recently so said herself she doesn't have high hopes of the race.

Gezahegne should be a medal threat too, ran a sub 30 a couple of months back. Hoping McColgan and Krumins also have good races, particularly in the case of the former after the disaster of the 5k heats.

Jesus, Gidey is relentless. Burning them off one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

Going to be some finish !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

What a finish by Hassan, some speed..Wow !!

Can't beat a kicker that way.

Wow Hassan left that kick late, I got worried! As I said above Gezahegne was always a medal threat but didn't think it'd be silver. Gidey looks disgusted with that bronze.

Even Hassan looks distressed.

Come oooon McSweyn! Would be thrilled if he medals.

Super fast 15. Ingebrigtsen sensational. Kerr ran a blinder.

• Advertisement

What a 1500 time....OR

Jacob is only 20....

I wonder what El Gs PB was aged 20? Hardly 3:28.x

EL G was circa 24/25 when he set WR in 1500 and mile

That monster 3:26 could be on

Norway with a similar population to us have 2 generational talents. Shows what can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ingebrigtsen finally beats Cheriuyout. Didn't expect him to open such a gap in the last 100 but the potential has been fulfilled.

Kerr with the run off his life. Delighted for him. He trains with Brooks Beasts so have seen a good bit of his training on YouTube. Much more likeable than Jakob but still happy for him that he won.

It’s not a case of what can be done..

Sometimes it’s simply natural talent. Small countries can produce natural greats here and there. We don’t have that elite level.

Our guys are training like demons as well. Doesn’t mean they get to run sub 3:30s

but maybe we will produce natural greats in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

1st ever track and field gold for india.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

not really, world u20 champion in 2016, steadily improving, went over 80m 7 yrs ago, threw 88 in 2018

I'm in agreement with you on all that.

It's a reason to be optimistic that countries like ours can compete now and again with the more traditional superpowers. Not taking anything away from any our current athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

Amazing jumping from Lasitskene to claim gold. She was struggling early but stepped it up at the bigger heights. After her 3 successive world titles, I think she deserves the Olympic gold. Great jumping by the Aussie to grab silver and the young Ukrainian for bronze.

Two exciting relays. Odd that the US woman only had one flat 400 runner but the three replacements were top drawer. I would have liked for the Borlee’s to nab a medal for Belgium but they came up just short.

I thought Hassan looked tired yesterday and was maybe vunerable for the 10k but she just sat in, did what was needed and still ran sub 30. Gidey looked very unimpressed with her bronze. Niyonsaba ran well for 5th and a NR after her DQ in the 5k heat.

I thought Salpetter dropped out of the marathon when passed for 3rd but she kept going on came home in 66th with over 20mins lost in 5k. Mazuronak from Belarus was not expecting a great run as she fell foul of the authorities there, along with other athletes, when she signed a letter criticising the election results. She lost funding, was called up to the army’s death didn’t train abroad.

Best of luck to the Irish lads in the marathon.

I suppose if you ignore the fact he was 4th ranked this year and 2nd ranked last year. He was Asian champion in '17, and Asian Games champion in '18 winning with a PB.

[Quote]Two exciting relays. Odd that the US woman only had one flat 400 runner but the three replacements were top drawer. I would have liked for the Borlee’s to nab a medal for Belgium but they came up just short.[/quote]

Mu holds the US collegiate record at 400m. Also, the US had 4 replacements!

High jump coverage was pathetic, even swapping between Eurosport/BBC/RTE they seemed to all do their best to show as little of it as possible, the same in the qualifying the other night :-( Lasitskene was class when the pressure came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I've been watching athletics since the 1983 world champs and George Hamilton has been ruining if for me for 38 years now (along with Tony O'Donoghue). It's simply incredible that a man has been commentating on my sport for this long yet has no clue whatsoever.

Early in the HJ he said Lasitskene likely had no chance - I said to my SO "She'll probably win it now!". Well done George!

I will always remember his lowest point - the 1988 women's 800m. Not many remember the mess he made of it but I do. In fact, it was so bad that when RTE did a summary piece of every event they left out that race.

I noticed the same thing about how he was just randomly listing names during races, he's not even trying anymore. Obviously he's not in Tokyo. Funnily enough Denise Lewis and Gabby Logan gave it away that almost none of the BBC crew are in Tokyo either. They did their best to disguise it to with the fake skyline and the fake night time outside the window.

Can you get a pacemaker to go through to 1200m over 2 seconds quicker than today?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭AhhHere

To be fair they havent been trying to hide it https://youtu.be/nRLNpQfRb1c

Impressive if anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement