Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

It's a strange one alright. I wonder how many staff are needed to run a fixture like this? Perhaps Port Laoise said between Covid outbreaks to the grounds staff, available stock of Maor's etc they just couldn't commit to the fixture. There also could be small things like groundworks etc taking place in dressing rooms etc that we'd b unaware of. It has to be something along those lines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sligo did indeed pull off a shock in the Connacht minor final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I would think availability due to club games may also be a factor. I haven't a breeze where the club championship is in Laois now but maybe that's a cause too.

Perhaps Portlaoise didn't suit, but you still could have had the likes of Thurles, Birr (where the Cork game was a month or so ago), Tullamore etc. Cannot fathom why Tuam was chosen.

Awh yeah I'm sure not every ground in a straight line between is in other use. Just on that note there was a bit of a flap on Twitter over the Dublin Mayo semi being on ahead of the mens game. This was Meath people making the fuss, the idea being it was Dublin getting preferential treatment. Maybe its just me but it makes infinitely more sense to double it up and let the fans from counties have the chance to see both games when crowds are restricted instead of shoving Dublin Mayo into Kingspan Breffni or somewhere as a stand alone.

• Advertisement

Agree about the Dublin v Mayo ladies' semi final, just makes sense as a double header.

Ratoath won the junior hurling championship against Kilmessan 2-11 to 1-11. First time since 89 (I think) that Ratoath have won the junior championship.

Dunderry won the Junior 2 championship 5-8 to 0-11 against Boardsmill last night.

Wolfe Tones back to senior in a couple of weeks, beating Boardsmill 1-11 to 0-8 in the 2020 IHC final.

Trim absolutely obliterated our minor hurlers in the second half of the minor hurling final, winning 2-15 to 1-5 with Ratoath failing to score in the second half. I think if Trim fail to win the senior final today, it's only a matter of time before they do. Some ridiculous talent coming through over the last number of years.

Devastated.

Hard luck Hammer. That was a hard one to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hard luck Hammer, it was so so close.

Delighted for the Trim team. They battled to the last as did Ratoath. Roll on this years championship. Some tidy playrt

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Meath ladies game moved to Croke Park next Sunday. Double header with the U20 final after Tyrone got the semi final moved.

At last, some common sense from the LGFA and working in unison with the GAA.

It's great that it got moved, but its also made a mess of the very good idea the County Board had in fixing the championship games around the original fixture! I was reading an Examiner article before the change and the Cork manager was saying Tuam meant an over night stay for them. They played Galway there in the league and it was a 2 or 3pm throw in and they were tight for time. Just makes it much easier on everyone it being in Croker.

Glad the game was moved. Would be an incredible achievement to make an All Ireland final on our first year back at senior.

Emma Duggan awarded player of the month for July.

Happy (1st Team) Championship Day everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Is the game being streamed anywhere? Thought it might be on TG4 but seems not

It will be on TG4, they have it listed on their website. The telly listings probably just haven't updated yet. They're the sponsors of the ladies all Ireland so they would 100% be showing it.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/irish-tv-schedule/sport-schedule/

Dunboyne nearly off to the worst possible start against Skryne. They went down to 14 men in the first half and were 4 down at half time. But they got two late points to scrape a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I disagree with you. Meath are very close to Dublin. Experience was probably a difference but they are closer than people give them credit for. a few mistakes more than anything went against Meath nothing to do a welcome mat. The physicality works to a point. But If anything it can gp against a team by them concentrating on physical side as opposed to playing their game. Dont get me wrong. There is no better spectacle in Croke park than Dublin and Meath going at it but the game has moved on from the battles of the 90s. 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Oh my christ Ladies!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

They've f***in done it!!!!! What a performance!

My God lads, what a finish that was. And to stop cork from getting the winner after scoring the goal right on the buzzer. Unbelievable work by them. Well done Meath. Fantastic result

I dunno why that other post is still quoted. Poxy site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Amazing result!!

Ref was good on fulltime of normal time.

Game was over for 5 seconds but hooter not sounding. He was well aware and ended it.

Cork kickouts at end of normal time we're crazy. Putting corner back under massive pressure.

Wall showed up when other's heads were dropping. Duggan with some sublime kicking.

Very well drilled side.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Brilliant game well done! My other half is Meath so we had it on here to watch

Emma Duggan is a ridiculously good player. It's genuinely astonishing that she's only 18.

Just over 6 years ago, Meath (with a number of players on today's team) were beaten 7-22 to 0-3 by Cork. I know Cork have regressed since then but it's been an incredible turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Some comeback, good luck in the final, that Duggan girl is a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's a shame we've the all conquering dubs in the final.

Something about Kepak jerseys that makes Meath teams that wear them fight til the end.

In the excitement, it would be easy to forget that the football championships were also played over the weekend.

Steven Bray got 1-2 in NOM's win over Don/Ash. Moynalvey had an excellent one point win over Simonstown after being 5 down at HT. Ratoath came good had 10 points to spare over Dunshaughlin while Kells could only draw with Tones. Big wins for Cilles and Na Fianna over the Bracks and Curraha respectively, not looking good for the latter two teams chances of avoiding relegation playoffs. Finally, Summerhill had an atrocious start and were 7 points down at one point but managed to come back to win by 3.

In the Intermediate, Oldcastle also managed 2-1 in injury time to steal a one point win against Meath Hill. Good wins for Trim (who surely will make it third time lucky this year), BHG, Walterstown, Ballivor, Rathkenny and Michael's while Pat's and Bective drew. Any idea why the Longwood - CnG and Duleek/Bellewstown - Kilmainham games weren't played?

Surprsingly comfortable win for Dunsany over St. Ultan's in the Junior. Say it pretty much every year but they feckin deserve a Junior championship. They're like the Mayo of Meath football.

Covid in the Kilmainham camp. Their premier 7 game against us was postponed on Thursday too. So that's why their 1st team game against Duleek was postponed also.

• Advertisement

Covid in Moynalty too I believe, not sure about the Longwood game. I missed the Pats match as I was other wise engaged but I got home by the first water break in the Ladies match. What a team they are. Once they got it to extra time I knew they'd pull it off. Whoever Eamonn Murray got in as the S&C coach has worked wonders with them. They are one of the fittest teams I think you will see in the game. Massive test for them in the final now, but like the quarter final and semi final they will be massive underdogs so there's no pressure. Probably the most free of free hits you will ever get.

Advertisement