Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020: Athletics Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Can't beat a kicker that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow Hassan left that kick late, I got worried! As I said above Gezahegne was always a medal threat but didn't think it'd be silver. Gidey looks disgusted with that bronze.

Even Hassan looks distressed.

Come oooon McSweyn! Would be thrilled if he medals.

Super fast 15. Ingebrigtsen sensational. Kerr ran a blinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What a 1500 time....OR

Jacob is only 20....

I wonder what El Gs PB was aged 20? Hardly 3:28.x

EL G was circa 24/25 when he set WR in 1500 and mile

That monster 3:26 could be on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Norway with a similar population to us have 2 generational talents. Shows what can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ingebrigtsen finally beats Cheriuyout. Didn't expect him to open such a gap in the last 100 but the potential has been fulfilled.

Kerr with the run off his life. Delighted for him. He trains with Brooks Beasts so have seen a good bit of his training on YouTube. Much more likeable than Jakob but still happy for him that he won.

It’s not a case of what can be done..

Sometimes it’s simply natural talent. Small countries can produce natural greats here and there. We don’t have that elite level.

Our guys are training like demons as well. Doesn’t mean they get to run sub 3:30s

but maybe we will produce natural greats in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

1st ever track and field gold for india.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

not really, world u20 champion in 2016, steadily improving, went over 80m 7 yrs ago, threw 88 in 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm in agreement with you on all that.

It's a reason to be optimistic that countries like ours can compete now and again with the more traditional superpowers. Not taking anything away from any our current athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Amazing jumping from Lasitskene to claim gold. She was struggling early but stepped it up at the bigger heights. After her 3 successive world titles, I think she deserves the Olympic gold. Great jumping by the Aussie to grab silver and the young Ukrainian for bronze.

Two exciting relays. Odd that the US woman only had one flat 400 runner but the three replacements were top drawer. I would have liked for the Borlee’s to nab a medal for Belgium but they came up just short.

I thought Hassan looked tired yesterday and was maybe vunerable for the 10k but she just sat in, did what was needed and still ran sub 30. Gidey looked very unimpressed with her bronze. Niyonsaba ran well for 5th and a NR after her DQ in the 5k heat.

I thought Salpetter dropped out of the marathon when passed for 3rd but she kept going on came home in 66th with over 20mins lost in 5k. Mazuronak from Belarus was not expecting a great run as she fell foul of the authorities there, along with other athletes, when she signed a letter criticising the election results. She lost funding, was called up to the army’s death didn’t train abroad.

Best of luck to the Irish lads in the marathon.

I suppose if you ignore the fact he was 4th ranked this year and 2nd ranked last year. He was Asian champion in '17, and Asian Games champion in '18 winning with a PB.

[Quote]Two exciting relays. Odd that the US woman only had one flat 400 runner but the three replacements were top drawer. I would have liked for the Borlee’s to nab a medal for Belgium but they came up just short.[/quote]

Mu holds the US collegiate record at 400m. Also, the US had 4 replacements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

High jump coverage was pathetic, even swapping between Eurosport/BBC/RTE they seemed to all do their best to show as little of it as possible, the same in the qualifying the other night :-( Lasitskene was class when the pressure came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I've been watching athletics since the 1983 world champs and George Hamilton has been ruining if for me for 38 years now (along with Tony O'Donoghue). It's simply incredible that a man has been commentating on my sport for this long yet has no clue whatsoever.

Early in the HJ he said Lasitskene likely had no chance - I said to my SO "She'll probably win it now!". Well done George!

I will always remember his lowest point - the 1988 women's 800m. Not many remember the mess he made of it but I do. In fact, it was so bad that when RTE did a summary piece of every event they left out that race.

I noticed the same thing about how he was just randomly listing names during races, he's not even trying anymore. Obviously he's not in Tokyo. Funnily enough Denise Lewis and Gabby Logan gave it away that almost none of the BBC crew are in Tokyo either. They did their best to disguise it to with the fake skyline and the fake night time outside the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Can you get a pacemaker to go through to 1200m over 2 seconds quicker than today?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭AhhHere

To be fair they havent been trying to hide it https://youtu.be/nRLNpQfRb1c

Impressive if anything

• Advertisement

Sure with right conditions and progress, he may be still not at peak, being only 20…

I wonder is he the fastest ever at 1500 for his age..

He holds every age record from 14-20 for the 1500m! Noah Ngeny holds the age 21 record and he's a whole year to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So we have the marathon tonight.

Can the greatest of all time, Eliud Kipchoge repeat? There's been hints that time is catching up with him but I'd love to see him do it just to add to his legacy.

There are many danger men to him though and I'll name a couple.

His compatriot Cherono is a huge danger, he won both Boston and Chicago in 2019 and has run in the 2.03's as has the other Kenyan Amis Kipruto.

The Ethiopians send Shira Kitata, arguably the best marathon runner over the last two years and the world champ Lelisa Desisa but it's their third one I'd be looking hard at. That's Sisay Lemma whose never won a major marathon but is a 2.03 man and he just seems like a championship runner who'll be suited by this.

The Japanese no.1 is Suguru Osaka. He's been in the improve lowering his national record last year, a 2.05 run, and running good half marathons and 10k's since then.

Dark horse has to be Bashir Abdi who has lowered his time in each if his four marathons, the last being Tokyo last year where he went into the 2.04's.

Finally I'll throw up the American Galen Rupp. He hasn't the time numbers to win this but it's not going to be super fast. He's been training at altitude fir thus fir some time and that's gotta give him a chance.

Anyways I gotta go with Kipchoge with the main danger being Lemma.

Just the men's marathon tonight and then the athletics is all over. Actually quite sad about it, not gonna lie. One tiny benefit of the covid situation means we'll have a major championship for the next four consecutive years, with 2026 being the next non-championship year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Still need agood pacemaker. Remember training with Frank O Mara. He was paid to pace some Aouita race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Kitata gone! Big surprise there.

The Irish battle will be interesting. Scullion seems to have gone out that bit harder, but very difficult to tell if he's in better shape or the others are just being conservative (which may well be the better approach in these conditions)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patob

The Irish struggling after 10k, Scullion the best of them in 86th place. Conditions not too as bad as expected it seems.

Jeez, Kiprotich and Bekele gone too, both sub 2:07 guys

EDIT: Jeez is not a competitor, just an exclamation

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Well the Irish question was quickly answered, Scullion gone right back. Still hard to tell if they're all just completely outclassed, or just going with a conservative approach and hoping to move up in the second half

• Advertisement

scullion can't be far of dnf

Advertisement