Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nadine Lott Verdict

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont know if this thug even had a solicitor. I mean his whole defence was that he was coked/drunk out of his mind so couldn't be guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I had to look up Olivia Dunlea as I couldn't recall it. I wouldn't call 2013 recent to be fair. Despite what loons like Ruth Coppinger do be claiming cases, like Nadine Lott are thankfully as rare as they come in this country.

Not a domestic but I couldn't believe that the first time I ever heard of this triple murder case was last year or so, the family appeared in the media concerned his potential parole period was not far away. A triple murder of a woman and two children by a relative stranger you would think would have been up there with Ireland's most notorious crimes (Graham Dwyer, Mark Nash and the two separate murder incidents he committed, the case in Clare in the 90s where the lad murdered a priest, a woman and her young son) yet I can't recall any coverage of it at the time.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/postman-gets-three-life-terms-for-murder-of-family-26583194.html

I dunno, it happened at Christmas, maybe I was in the height of a days long session as does happen when you're younger, but I really can't recall it being covered- yet the Grangegorman killings (and the one he did of his in laws down the country), the missing women in the mid 90s and Murphy's eventual arrest, and the fella in Clare all happened in my childhood, involve a similar or higher death toll, and I distinctly remember the media saturation of all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

It was never mentioned he shared a child with her or the child was in the house on the night.

I wonder did the family request to have this left out or what??

I remember it being in the papers when the attack first took place,I think the foreign neighbour who went into the flat first actually took her out of there, again this wasnt mentioned at trial.

She is a beautiful little thing but the image of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Lots of nasty people are well able to wear the mask of decency till they have a good person hooked in. They let it slip when drunk but manage to get excused by blaming the drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

It was in the news at the time - the murders of Sharon Whelan and her children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭Be right back

There was also this case. Terrible crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It appears these crimes seem to occur more around Christmas time or is it just me? I hesitate to call them 'crimes of passion' as they are so dark.

Lack of sunlight in December, perpetrators drinking to excess around the festive period, their blood is up at what is supposed to be a family time of year and they are full of resentment etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Crimes of possession, more like. Thinking they own the other person and that nobody else will have them.

Also this case (Natalia Karaczyn). Never seemed to get much media traction I don't know if its because they were Polish that the media never seemed to make a big deal of this horrible case. They had 3 children together but were split up, he strangled her to death and left her in the woods

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-found-guilty-of-murdering-his-wife-in-sligo-in-2018-1.4569494

Also Joanne Ball strangled by her estranged husband, then put in a bin bag and stuffed in a wardrobe. There wasn't a trial as he killed himself in prison awaiting trial

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/death-of-joanne-ball-her-family-s-worst-nightmare-inquest-hears-1.4079503

• Advertisement

Ingrida Maciokaite died after being stabbed 19 times in front of her 6 year old daughter by her former partner

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0527/1224286-dauksa-trial-sentence/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It was one of the hardest cases to follow. Her injuries were horrific. He never gave the full story either did he? There seems to have been something else used other than his fists and a wire. When you have emergency services and nurses in A & E traumatised by what they saw that's horrific. The poor mother seeing her daughter in that condition.

In his head they were supposed to be getting back together, according to what he said in the garda interviews. In her head they were broken up, nothing was going to happen between them again and she tried to make it clear.

In one of the interviews he said something like - her friends take slaps from their fellas all the time. If that's true I hope they've dumped those guys now. If anyone is in a relationship where they're being assaulted - get out and tell someone.

What a way to end up. Poor Nadine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

Are you joking!?

Of course he had a full legal team who collected handsome fees but there is a code of silence among court reporters. They don’t embarrass the lawyers for scumbag defendants and fraudulent claimants. This trial will have cost us at least a half million Euro although he pleaded guilty to manslaughter I.e. to killing Nadine. The issue was intent I.e. did he really know what he was doing?

There was no chance any jury who heard that he wrapped his fist in wire would let him off with manslaughter so his lawyers told him he had nothing to lose - if he pleaded guilty to murder and spared everyone the trauma of this trial, he would still get a life sentence.

As I said before, his lawyers probably did not explain to their client that running a full trial would make him the most hated man in Ireland and a target for every thug in prison who fancies himself as the next Tyson Fury.

May justice prevail in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

It's the "available options" that I was alluding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hypothetically speaking, and aside from this story, a good looking girl will always have more options. She cannot say "well I'd have loved a nice quiet nerd but only arseholes approached me so I had to go with the arseholes". i.e. if she is with the "arsehole" she is with him because she wants to be with him. If she wanted to be with the "nice quiet nerd" then she would be well able to be. She was under no obligation to go with said "arsehole" just because she approached him. She is of course wholly entitled to choose him irrespective of others' opinions of him.

Your argument seems to be that the pool of "more options" will consist of all the "nerds' PLUS all the "bad boys"

Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not sure where this is going.

If a girl chooses what you or I would classify as a bad choice, it is still her choice. It is up to her. She is not restricted to any particular cohort because every single one of the "nice fellas" were too intimidated to approach her. She isn't a passive object that must accept her fate because only a certain type approached her or expressed any interest in her (which would never be the case in reality - there are always alternative options - one of which is to stay single!)

A good looking girl will get more interest and have more options than a less attractive one. Same for males. If you are 6'6" and athletic, you will get more interest than a 4'8" fat midget.

Some interest will be from "good" potential choices and some from "bad" potential choices. But the interest will increase from both.

Arguably a popular person will have less "work" to do regarding the realisation of opportunities, the term "attractiveness" is an explanation in itself.

Therefore, there may be an over-representation of a particular type in the range of options available.

The quality of a person's decision making is obviously relevant too, but I'm no judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He should be in prison for his whole life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree and the sh te kicked out of him at least once a day or twice a day, horrific crime on that poor woman, very hard reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

it was definitely mentioned at the trial the neighbour going in and rescuing the child.no mention that DM was the father though.

striking similiarity with the Jennie Poole case in Finglas. Some absolute monster men out there scary stuff

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/jennie-poole-murder-accused-remanded-in-continuing-custody-1.4571544

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Horrible bastard. He continued to sully her name afterwards. Referring to her as his "wife", bragging during the Garda questioning about his boxing ability and saying things "if I'd wanted to kill her I would have".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

This piece of sh1t was sentenced today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/1004/1250623-daniel-murtagh-murder/

A man who beat his former partner to death has been given the mandatory sentence of life in prison.

Sadly, he will get out at some stage.

Impact statement is very hard reading.

Hopefully he will meet a few guys in prison who will give him a friendly slap or two

A whole life sentence would be totally justified in this case. Pathetic, weak individual.

A whole life sentence would be totally justified in this case. Pathetic, weak individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Whole Life is justified in this account.

What else can you say? The man is completely devoid of humanity.

That poor family will have to live everyday knowing how horrible and painful her last hours on this earth were.

Thats a far worse life sentence they received. Fcuk, how brave was her mother standing up in a court of law, telling everyone how she was cradling her dying daughter in her arms trying to comfort her and tell her she would be fine. You can never, ever get over something like that.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Lads, Claire Byrne reading the victim impact statement there now.

Don't ever tolerate a **** like this guy in your midst. Get on it and report it and never cover for these guys.

Rip to that poor girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He probably should have opted for an insanity plea like that woman who got off last week. Probably wouldn't have worked for him though for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

wrong question going in direction victim blaming and says it all, also the 'thanks'. the question should be why are there so f*** many men out there in the whole world who beat, abuse and like here, ultimately kill women in the most disgusting, brutal way?

and even worse, what's that logic anyway? 'ugly' or 'not that good looking women' are fine for scumbags like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Spot on, some of the absolute sh*te spouted about her appearance. Its actually a red flag in a bloke to mention her appearance in the midst of what actually happened. Like what she looked like made it more tragic or less tragic.

Questioning why good looking women go for these scumbags "because normal guys are too afraid to approach", good lord almighty. Real undercurrent of bitterness that these girls deserve it for "not going for a regular lad like myself".

This scumbag probably appeared like a very regular fella until his masked slipped and it looks like the poor girl tried to get rid of him, which ultimately cost her her life. I have 2 sons, but I tell you one thing, i'd be terrified having a daughter in this day and age, and yes you like to think the majority of young fellas are well adjusted and reasonable, compassionate etc... but i'd be fraught with fear my daughter would end up with a lad who ran her into the ground.

Advertisement