Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We also got to remember load sharing on our V2 SuC in Ireland, that's all of them bar Cork

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If I didn’t live in Ireland I’d probably be all for opening up the SuC network, but because I live in Ireland I’m 100% against it…… for the simple reason that at 3 of the main SuC sites, there is only 1 non Tesla DC charger…. So you know they’d end up being fairly busy… look at the increases we are seeing in EV sales month on month, year on year…… so because our network here is so sh1t, you know they’d get super busy.

I pulled into Castlebellingham there about 40 minutes ago at the same time as an ID.3, and a Leaf was using the eCars charger, so the ID.3 had to wait….. meanwhile I had my pick of 8(6) Superchargers to use (only showing 6 as available today). Some people might say that’s a waste of resources, but I say ‘should have bought a Tesla’.

I’ll be happy enough with the Irish Superchargers being opened when eCars puts a J14 style 7-8 car hyperhub at the same location….. otherwise it’s ‘keep it locked, should have bought a Tesla’ from me.

if the network is opened up, my next car won’t need to be a Tesla.

Much worse in parts of the States like California where queues are commonplace. When I was in Florida last in 2019 the SuC were always queued during the day when I passed them

Also, lots of CCS cars limited to ~50kW charging speed so charging time and queues would be longer still...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Charged twice at Mahon point last week - no queues. Noone at Ballacolla on the way out but two 3s charging on the return. Two ESB chargers in Cork were iced. Well one had an ID.4 parked but not charging, Not even the cable was connected. My view on the penalty for this crime has hardened considerably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

I had an ID4 sitting an an ESB fast charger for 1hr 45 mins. I think new ID4 drivers are worse than those who ICE. I was contemplating pushing the big red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

He's paying for it though, it's possible that he maxed out that charger for 1.5hrs at 50kW given that they have 80kWh batteries.

It's a bit rude for sure but he's not breaking any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I've had this happen to me with Tesla drivers sitting on ESB chargers for over an hour so it goes both ways. I guess you should only charge for what you need especially when other drivers need to charge.

Will be less of an issue when Tesla opens up the network.

Do Superchargers have a red stop button?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Red stop button is only for emergencies and not because you've picked the wrong charger. Either get there first, or have enough to get to the next one, or wait it out. It's a paid service.

Tesla SuC stalls are dumb units and have no interface, let alone a red button, as all the comms is between the car and HQ.

Can Tesla remote reboot a stall if there's a problem or is everything done through the car or an app?

I presume there's a phone number you can call, has anyone ever had any problems at the superchargers with handshakes or cable release?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Nothing to say that Tesla drivers are more or less a**holeish than non-Tesla drivers. But the point about ID.4 drivers is an interesting one. Many ID.4 buyers are first time EV buyers so probably are not aware of the etiquette, how crappy the public charging infrastructure in Ireland is and how much charge they actually need. I think the 4.60 overstay fee is a good enough disincentive. We just need more chargers. And we need enforcement of parking rules where ICE and non-connected EVs get penalised for hogging a charging spot.

I am a lot less bothered by someone charging for longer than 45 mins (and paying for it) than someone occupying the spot and not charging and not letting anyone else charge.

Post edited by garo on

The 5 euro overstay - its a one-off fee? or its 5 euro for each X mins overstay?

Many M3 buyers are also first time EV buyers as well, from the owners I've met anyway.

Agree it's more about educating people and proper enforcement to promote good practice for everyone given the current limited resources.

On a different note I was talking to some people who live in Athenry and/or work in Raheen Woods last week and they hadn't a clue about the new supercharger going in or what it might mean for the hotel in the future. The planning decision is due on 8/8 and hopefully it will go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was plugging into the AC chargers at Sandyford Luas a few months back and a woman in her 50s pulled up to the 50kw charger in a brand new ID3. She asked if she needed to pay for parking while using the charger, I said on the 50kw charger you shouldn't need to but on the chargers I was using you did. She then plugged into the AC side of the 50kw charger and walked off. I checked on the app 2 hours later and she was still plugged into it, I'd imagine she got clamped for that.

I'd assumed anyone driving an EV knew that charger was meant to be used for short periods (i.e. you can plug in for 20-30 mins while you run into the shops and not pay for parking) but if you're new to the game I guess why would you. Especially with so many of those VWs on the road now that are being bought by non enthusiasts, I'd imagine the different types of chargers can be a bit confusing for anyone who up til now has only had to ensure they didn't put diesel in a petrol car and vice versa.

Last week I was charging DC, and a guy in a 2020 Volvo XC90 hybrid pulled up - I noticed he was struggling to make sense of the charger so I got out to see if i could help - turns out he has never charged it up before and it was his first time. He was totally clueless of AC/DC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed. Same as happened in 2018 when lots of first time EV owners got the new model Leaf. Back then there were only a fraction of the EVs there are now, but all public charging was free with no overstay penalties either and many fast DC chargers were hogged by Leaf owners (their cars could take over 2 hours to fully charge) with no sense of the charging etiquette that the vast majority of EV owners stuck by until then end of 2017. This made the charging network totally unreliable. Things improved greatly when charging for charging came in, but the market penetration of EVs has caught up by now and we're back to square one. The massive tax payer funded investment into the ESB chargers seems to have mostly disappeared into thin air. Glad that my EV is now long range and on the very rare occasion that I need to charge away from home, I can mostly do so at a the Supercharger network.

I really can't see this opening of the SuC network to other makes as anything but a publicity stunt. Unless Tesla can convince other OEMs like VAG to cough up big time (billions). Which I can't see happen either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

The last month is a complete lottery on the motorway services at the moment traveling around the country for work with all the holiday makers out and about. A complete contrast to the previous 6 month of lock downs - don't think I'll ever experience the ease of EV motoring like that again. The Tesla SuCs and Ionity have been a saving grace.

Every second conversation I have with EV owners at ESB chargers is how the whole charging malarkey works. Think I have a script at this stage. Enfield SuC cant come fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

Raheen Woods Hotel, whilst its only a few minutes off the M6, it still requires going through a marvel of traffic engineering design of up to 5 roundabouts (6 if you include the hotel entrance) and a level train crossing. Mapped out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It's a one off penalty, think the Tesla per minute charge is more effective as if you're over the time sure you're more likely to just keep charging to 100% or beyond

Tesla overstay charge is penal, no upper limit, you overstay at Cork SuC for an hour and easily looking at €60 fee

• Advertisement

Tralee Supercharger expected in Q3 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Also that Belfast supercharger that I didn't know about, fairly barren up north west now.

Sligo, Derry, Wexford/Waterford would be spots I’d say need doing ASAP,

Then when expansion is the name of the game, look at shopping centres like Blanch, Liffey Valley, Swords etc… and install Mahon Point style locations…. Then anyone visiting Dublin can get a nice fill up just before they hit the M50.

It's for the Belfast Service Centre, folks from NI still have to go to Scotland to buy a new Tesla

Yep we need Sligo or somewhere near there ideally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

All 4 cork stalls showing as working in the app today.

Good stuff, when I was there last week I was surprised the cover was still there and no fanboi had made off with it as it just slips over the stall

According to Facebook all the units were down today…..

Could have been while they were fixing the broken one and commissioning the 4th one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Really need that Enfield SuC up and running, to avoid relying on Ionity. Any definite date for it?

Advertisement