Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions Tour

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Henshaw in such class form this season. Thought they had hands on the deck way before the ref called it there, took awhile to blow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's BS, he took the penalty and made a mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

The ref has just handed SA the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Blown series for the Lions. Should've been at least 10 ahead at half time and didn't turn up for the first 20 minutes of the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What was Lawes doing? Absolutely no need to hang on for as long as he did there to the tacklers legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

**** me who taps the ball in front of the posts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Jantijes absolutely mindless decision, completely bailed out by the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Thought itoje tackled him within 10 if that was the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Raynal might as well kick the **** thing for SA after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Crooked ref.

I don't give a toss.

He took that pen. Everyone knows it.

What a mad call at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Disagree, I felt he got more than 10 before being swallowed up. Absolute let off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Can totally see Porter was selected over Sinckler when the Lions squad was originally announced. The latter hasn't been able to to scrum at all on the test games. Penalty after penalty conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

We got what we deserved over the course of the 3 games unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

What a complete farce of a tour

Refereeing was utterly shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

Sad to see putrid rugby prevail, fair play to the lions for being the only team out there with any interest in actually trying to play a game of rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Lions 4 or 5 times on the boks line and getting nothing killed them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Terrible series, terrible rugby and South Africa did enough throughout to influence the officials.

Blaaaah.

That's disappointing, not for any rugby reasons but because Rassie is such a dreadful human being and I don't like seeing people like that prosper. He's a genuinely rotten person.

Although I am happy to see how much it means to the players

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

After all the cynical and negative behaviour and play from SA on and off the pitch, this is a really disappointing result. Lions blew it, but Raynal bottled that last 15 minutes, Etsebeth lucky not to be off for that deliberate slap.

Don't feel SA were deserving of the win, but Lions didn't take their opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Brutal end to a shite tour. Liam Williams, why in the name of jaysus didn't you pass with a 2 on 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Up there with Ringrose vs Saracens, terrible decision making. What an utterly **** tour. SA are muck.

Ref absolutely decided this test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Sinckler is some dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The triumph of anti-rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Morne sinks the lions.

So long gatty don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

The worst decision making I've seen was De Jantes(spl) tapping and going at the end there with a penalty in front of the posts.

What on earth was he thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Ah lads, that was a cracking end to the tour ye can't deny it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Dreadful series that never should have taken place

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Negatives: losing to the boks.

Positives: no more warrenball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You think rassie cares? He has a WC and a lions tour in the bag now.

Lions just weren't good enough to beat a poor enough SA in the last game, despite having the good fortune to get rid of Biggar early.

crap series, one of the very worst and over-shadowed by the off-the-pitch rubbish.

SA a cynical lot in any case as shown and not doing anything for the game of rugby.

most bizarre bit on boards being the the Munster South African supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

4 countries versus 1, no home crowd advantage and the Lions exit with a whimper. Everything was stacked in their favour and they couldn't put an average SA side to the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

The Lions tackled Jangties less then 10 away from the mark. I doubt he’d have tapped if he didn’t think he’d eek out a few extra yards

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Let's never talk about this tour again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Going for the corner with 11 to go was so dumb. But the Lions simply didn't capitalise on what they were creating. I wasn't overly impressed with SA but they took their chances.

5 exciting minutes out of 240 isn't a great payoff tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Lions should have taken more of the 3 points on offer. I'm not a big fan of relying on 5 metre scrums and mauls for a try.

Abysmal tour. Rugby union is in a bad way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

An awful initial squad selection, which led to some bizarre team selections in the tests. Gatland nearly got away with it, won the first test only because SA ran out of gas due to lack of games, but his luck finally ran out in the end.

No idea what Townsend contributed to the setup, his style was always going to be at odds with Gatland's, and it showed on the pitch with the team having no clear or obvious strategy from game to game,or even from play to play.

All in all a mess, and time for a complete refresh of the coaching setup for 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don’t see why Raynal is getting blamed. Thought he had a great game. Lawes was hanging off the tackled players legs and then rolled towards the opposite sideline too when he did eventually move.

it’s up there with ROG’s brain fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The ref ignoring SA pulling it down certainly helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Henshaw is a great 12 but better at 13. England game and today his two best performances all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Delighted for Morne Steyn. Some cameo for a 37 year old who hasn't played for the boks in 5 years.

Not much else to enjoy about the tour unfortunately. Putrid rugby from both sides throughout and even worse refereeing.

The Lions lost the series at the set piece. They've had a big problem throughout the test series with their replacement front row, especially in the second and third tests.

We saw why Andrew Porter was selected ahead of Sinkler when the squad was originally announced. The latter has struggled dreadfully to keep the scrum up. He got big backing in the media when he was left out and a lot of support when drafted in as Porters injury replacement. But he just hasn't been good enough. Negligible impact carrying the ball and scrum work was deficient. He's simply not good enough.

But really, other than Furlong I don't think any Lions front row has impressed. Been a lot of chopping and changing other than at tight head.

Furlong is the Lions player of the series for me. Kept that scrum functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Henshaw the Lions man of the series for me. Had an excellent tour. Delighted for him after 2017. Pity he didn’t get the series win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd need to see it back to see when the sack happened, but thats after the fact anyway. They should have gone for the posts. In a tight game you keep the scoreboard ticking over. The Lions didn't do that. Not just that time either. Go for the corner if you're a good few points ahead, sure. Or if its at the death and you need to for the win. In a 1 score game that could go either way you have to take your points. Instead the Lions let SA off the hook.

Advertisement