Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation is the prime driver of this "rainy season" of Augusts in recent years. Like it greatly affects European temperatures, it also seems to increase the occurrence of so-called Atmospheric Rivers, which align over Ireland around August as the jet starts its annual southerly retreat.

The polar vortex starts to shut down in April, not fire up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

An impressive night of rainfall here in Donegal , one of those nights you are asleep cozy in bed and the rain is battering against the window all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

37.5mm in Sligo now for the rainwave

Re bad August's....August 2020 was good in Sligo for 10 days.

10.5mm in Finner on latest report

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Biblical rain in Leitrim. I'm not sure how the land will cope if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, they'll be towns badly affected after this

• Advertisement

You've certainly drew the short straw up in the northwest

2.6mm in Arklow last night

Hardly anything yesterday and less than 18mm this past week

Its enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Definitely drew the short straw up north west. One or two showers during the night in west cork and blue skies this morning (with grey clouds to the west of me!). Wind calmed down and a lovely morning all round

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Decent drop heading toward Dublin this morning. We have missed out on intense downpours so far but today is a better chance. 15.9c. Didn't drop below 14 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I see weather models were hinting at an improvement in weather towards the end of next week have all backtracked. More of the same in store for the next 10 days.

The good weather is always 10 days away according to the weather modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but you can't predict accurately beyond five days anyway

*as aunty Evelyn keeps reminding us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kids will be back at school before we know it. I think this is pretty much the pattern now into September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Happy lughnasadh. Cross Quarter day. Half way point between the summer solstice and autumn equinox.

Another decent day so far Here near Arklow, currently 17.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy falls of rain in Kildare this morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

awful day here in Meath, very heavy rain for several hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep, the majority of August is a write off now. Another crap August but it’s no surprise is it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Moderate rain for the past two hours in North Kildare with some intervals of heavy rain too. Looks like this main area will be clearing me soon but there may well be further showers later in the afternoon.

Bone dry here in Arklow all day but your rain is approaching and will skirt us down here I think

Suns just gone in

Current view 👇

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The summer ‘monsoon’ or Atlantic onslaught which typically happens in July and August is due to the contrast between the continent and the oceans, nothing to do with the polar vortex. The stratospheric polar vortex does not reverse back to westerly until late August every year - some years it’s earlier or takes longer on the exact date but the range of deviations is very small so it doesn’t matter. It does not even come into play until late autumn for significant effects to be felt on the surface.

Most Augusts of modern times - as well as summer months - have been characterised by high latitude blocking with the summer NAO index consistently on the negative side. The summer season is more prone to negativity of the NAO naturally as compared to winter due to a weaker jet stream with no stratospheric polar vortex to drive intense westerlies across the hemisphere. However, I have spoken about numerous times before that this prolonged period of negative summer NAO that suddenly became apparent in 2007 is very unusual.

Equally, the run of ‘good’ or warm Augusts or seemingly backloaded summers through the 1990s and into the 2000s was also unusual. Traditionally, August is our wettest summer month for 2 reasons - it was/is often a humid and volatile month prone to heavy downpours - and due to the more active jet stream. It was the wettest month of the year on average at Phoenix Park for a certain period which I can’t remember off the top of my head as I’m currently out. It is still at the top end of wettest months for parts of the east but October to December have beaten it in modern averages.

Late spring is also characterised by high latitude blocking a lot of the time but with a weaker jet stream as the contrast between the oceans and the continent is smaller, so we don’t seemingly get as much of an Atlantic onslaught. The February to July period of the year is the driest portion of the year for this and other reasons.

Still no measurable rain here

A few spits in the wind

Ground bone dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very breezy in East Cork this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Ok. Yes I'd expect that with the polar vortex in April. That's why I was so confused with the idea of the polar vortex firing up the first week of August..so near the solstice, like May 10th or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Not far from you near Rathdrum and it's been raining all day. Nothing major mind but it has been overcast and raining softly here all afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Donegal, north Leitrim, Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Further showers or longer spells of rain will maintain the risk of localised flooding and hazardous driving conditions.

Valid: 00:00 Sunday 08/08/2021 to 00:00 Monday 09/08/2021

Yes,but here in the Lee of the hills nothing bar a few spits in the wind

Grass and ground dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think the main reason that August often turns wet is because it is, on average, the wettest of all of the summer months. Just looking at the LTA's for Athenry for example, August is wetter, on average, than Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Sep, and ties almost, save a few mm, with January!

Rain in August or any summer month doesn't bother me in the least though. You can enjoy the outdoors every bit as much in warm summer rain as you can in the sunshine, and as this old saying goes..

New Moon

We've had 17mm so far in August,which is plenty

Just no prolonged deluges like other areas

2.6mm last night,about the same yesterday and 6.4mm the day before

Just enough, which has been the story of the Summer in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Status yellow rainfall warning for donegal sligo and North Leitrim

Advertisement