Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Unfortunately not. Its been a bit of a mess to get your head around TBH. I'm still struggling to get to grips with it & we've lost a lot of features that made the site so enjoyable & easy to use. Try finding all your old posts for example.... that's if the bright background hasn't burned the eyes out of your head first

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Welcome back Jude. Hope you had a nice time back in the old sod.

The new site layout is, how do I say it...........cr@p!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I woke at 5am to the sound of rain bartering the window. It felt so wintery out.

Sadly there won’t be any stats for a long time. The new site doesn’t allow for such and with all the problems the site has I don’t think my stats are high up their priority list.

@Jude13 welcome back I hope you had the best time back home. Sadly there is no legacy mode. Lord knows we could do with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They have started to announce the celebrities that are doing Strictly!

Tom Fletcher (Author of the Christmasaurus book series) being one of the ones announced yesterday!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Oohhh I can’t wait for Strictly 😊😊

stats should be number one priority 😉👍

Some pretty heavy showers and spot flooding out our way. Hope all safe and dry!

Getting our regulars back posting would be my priority... we need a little Christmas 🎄 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Here Here! Well said that man ☺️👍️

Great to have Jude13 back as well!

What you think of this

• Advertisement

I was looking at sort of warm tracksuits Today For Autumn/Winter.(I don't really do pajamas).

Another damp start to the day here. Lets hope it picks up for the weekend.

Folks are heading up north today to get my Dad tablets (fraction of the price they are down here!). Got me thinking about our usual annual trip up pre-Christmas. Didn't get to go last year however hope to make it this year. Usually go late November/early December and one of my personal milestones on the countdown,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Another desperate damp day here! Got absolutely washed out of it yesterday morning bringing the kids to a farm! In spite of having ALL the wet gear on us, we were still drowned 😭 Little lad even asked to go home at one point 😥 But we persevered and had a good enough time. Needed our hot chocs when we got home though to warm us up!

Welcome back @Jude13, hope you had a lovely time sa bhaile & best of luck with the new job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

We go up every year too. We actually did go last year. One night in a hotel with the kids the week before Christmas. No Christmas market unfortunately but even staying in a different bed was a novelty for them. We kept to ourselves and had takeaway in the room.

Booked again for early December 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

I had been toying with the idea of taking a day trip up to Belfast, and now you have me planning a Christmas shopping day trip! 🎄🎁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

It is a day for the ducks out there!!

Have stew in the slow cooker...very wintery feel to the day!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend 😊

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Had a nice few days away there last week, so was AWOL for a bit. It was good to be away from this mess of a website, but glad to be back to you folks despite this new and dis-improved Boards. 🙄 🙂

It was this forum that mainly had me still on boards as it was, but it's the only reason I'm still on it after the change of platform.

Be lost without this forum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great to have you back Posy. Hope you had a lovely break.

And DVB totally agree I’d be lost without this forum.

hugs all around.

We're into the 130's!

• Advertisement

Same, in a relatively short period this forum has been become a near daily part of my life. Really hit home when it was offline for those few days, how much I missed it.

Welcome back Posy, hope you had a nice few days away.

Came across this earlier. Usually Cornflakes are in a tupperware container and kids fill it up however I did it this morning. Made me smile

The stormy weather outside is giving me all the winter vibes.

It's real 'watching a Christmas film with a hot chocolate' weather lately.

I like that weather, but would rather it waited until Sep/Oct! 😫

The good news is warm weather is coming back next week. Apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

We decided yesterday for certain that we are not coming home for Christmas. I is incredibly bitter sweet. We kind of knew this when we were home. Sadly it meant that we said goodbye to some older relatives for the last time as they are quite ill.

I am not sure I will have Christmas (bar Christmas day & eve as they are on the weekend) off this year. But I will make the most of it. My biggest internal struggle (bar hoping we get paid and can pay everyone from fees rather than savings)is to cook a turkey or order it in.

I can't imagine that is an easy decision Jude, whatever the circumstances. I count myself lucky that it's not one I have to make.

Eat inside a restaurant yesterday for the first time since last Christmas. We were over in Blanch and made a last minute decision to have something to eat. Delighted we did in the end. Was nice to sit and have someone hand you your food and then clean up after! Was chatting to the waitress and she said they were just happy to back open. Left a decent tip and felt good to be doing our little bit.

Had a wander round the center for awhile and kids had a blast in the Disney store 😁

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Have noticed in the last week or so the numbers of people in the Blanchardstown SC appear to be getting back to something approaching normal, we were up there late Saturday afternoon & it was rammed, we were going to pop in & have a coffee but my Mrs had forgotten her phone with her vaccination passport so had to give it a miss. But the numbers are certainly climbing in terms of customers, haven't seen it that busy since pre covid.

Noticed a couple of small christmas references over the weekend too... oh and my neighbour who works in Dunnes told me on Saturday that the QS tubs are due in for the end of the month... she knows me far too well 😃

Pavilions would be our local SC so was nice to go somewhere else for a change. Seemed pretty busy for a Sunday afternoon even though the weather was decent enough and is still in holiday season.

I'd say it will be pretty much weekly Christmas stuff from the end of this month. Only held back from the full assault till after Halloween.

• Advertisement

Sending you hugs, Jude, that can't have been an easy decision!

In terms of the turkey, if you've only got two days off, order it in and relax for the two days instead of worrying about Dustin 😊

Eventually a day for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm having one of those two. Amazing reunion weekend, the last of our lot left this morning and bar putting on two loads of washing so far (3 more to go), and putting the bins out, I'm doing feck all for the rest of the day.

I want to enjoy this lazy day because from Thursday I'm basically working 18 days straight!

Sounds like heaven. Could really do with one of those!!

Ditto. Up to my eyes & facing into a weekend of work also.

• Advertisement

It’s getting closer and I still have 2 weeks until my summer holidays 😂😂

Lol, winter holidays it seems 😂😂

There is a post in the Other Gift Ideas forum with somebody looking for photo book recommendations- if anybody has any thoughts please pop in. I have no idea- I haven't printed a photo since about 1992. 🤪

I replied ☺️ I'm shocked I even managed to find my way to the Other Gift Ideas forum 😂

Posy looking well at the piano

Accurate- you even have my dog in the picture! 😂

I'm learning to play Silent Night, Deck the Halls, Good King Wenceslas and Jingle Bells for Christmas. I've only learned half of 3 of them so far, eeep. Must get my act together. 😲

• Advertisement

You could play a mashup 😀

Fair play though, learning a musical instrument is not easy and one of many things that I never did.

Just reading some of the posts on the feedback forum re the new website and is pretty scathing! I would worry about the future of the site as have read numerous times over other forums that i follow that people are saying the site is so bad that they will most likely stop posting ☹️

Here's hoping they can improve things and get back as close to the old layout/functionality as possible.

Yeah, I think it's a prime example of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" 😕 I don't think anyone would think any less of the boards team if they decided that a roll back was the only option

That'll be the vocal minority I suspect. Whilst many people will dislike the changes I suspect the majority over time will just get used to them and carry on. I really feared for us in here at one stage as it looked like there was only a half dozen of us posting again but I've seen a few more find their way here recently & the post count is definitely picking up again. The way I look at it is that you'll always get an unhappy cohort when there's change & there'll be a few in there that will shout loudest... that feedback section is hilarious at showing up hypocrites... plenty of 'I'm done' type posts only for them to be back the next day still whinging that they want they old site back or suchlike... boards is going nowhere, it'll recover, I suspect it already is to be fair.

Slowly seeing improvements too, so happy to wait it out in here and see how we go... one things for sure though Christmas & the build up wouldn't be the same without the shared excitement generated by our group here so I'll be going nowhere as long as we're still going in here anyway.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

There's an autumn vibe in the air the last few days!

It's also the time of year where people are away on holidays, or up to their eyes with back to school stuff so no time to browse online. I'm moving house so online a lot less, so hopefully by the time I'm settled and back online, HQ will have sorted out a lot of the niggles, hopefully. I'm sure there will be some that won't come back but for niche communities like this chat thread, they'll stick with it because it's the people they come here to chat to.

I'll be in our new house for Christmas. And the best part? I'll need two Christmas trees 😁

I don't know the set up of site in relation to ownership, income, expenditure etc, so hard to say what will determine it's future in the medium to long term.

I hope it gets back to previous level of posters across the board as is a great place to come and share knowledge, ask questions and learn new things.

Our little corner will always be what it was, hopefully some more posters come back or join us however we have a hardcore group that will always be here.

Sadly the old way was broken and had become too expensive to maintain. They needed to move platforms to keep the lights on.

Sadly they were sold a pup with vanilla. I could go into all the negatives but I try not to in our happy place 😂

Aw two trees is the best! We (I) put up an artificial tree in the kitchen on the first of December & then we put a real tree in the sitting room the week before Christmas! I also do trees in the kids room....I'm going to try convince Mr. CL that we also need a tree in our room this year....he had a flat out no on it last year, the big grinch 🤣

From a moderators p.o.v. how much worse is it loughc?

At this stage I'd settle for a dark mode being brought back and a few other small bits like being able to delete post & messages, threads with new posts standing out more etc. pretty basic stuff which I'm sure might happen in time anyway... hopefully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement