Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The bed was not made & looked like she had been in it for at least a certain period of time. Also, its been shown she spoke to her husband on the phone not long before her murder in bed. Her car was outside directly the house so I dont think any squatter or someone looking to take advantage of the fact she wasnt there, rocked up.

If the attack originated from inside the house, there would have been signs of a struggle in the house, she wouldnt have had time to put on night clothes and boots and she certainly wouldnt have been able to escape the house. Even the gards admit, there was zero evidence of any struggle of any sort or altercation inside the house. If it was a jilted lover, there would have been ample evidence of this.

All of the evidence points to her leaving the house willingly in the middle of the night. Now, ask any woman, who would they do this for? im sure the majority of them would give the same answer. A friend, a lover, but most importantly someone with a position of authority in the community, a gard/fire officer/rep of local county council or otherwise no doubt. Now, we know no friends wanted to come with her to cork and none were interested in visiting her. Any ex lovers alibi's have been backed up

When you put that theory together with the fact of how they were acting in the area at the time, getting naked in front of potential witnesses, propositioning multiple local woman in the area, stealing drugs from the evidence room to bribe false witnesses, spreading lies about Bailey in the local community, letting sophies body lie there for nearly 24 hours going against the state pathologists advice, losing a gate of all things with ample evidence, losing other vital pieces of evidence amongst many many other things. Its not unreasonable to suspect them, not one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Marie Farrell's husband has a conviction for assault.

The people who connect Bailey to the murder because of the domestic assault never continue this 'logic' to examine who else on the area could be similarly connected.

It's not a reason, it's a pretext.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

I'm curious about MF husband. He would have been able to verify her story of being out during the night. I can't imagine they didn't question him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Your the biggest conspiracy theorist in this thread anyways so don't known why your blowing that trumpet.

Any reasonable logic for the fact we don't know the fiesta drivers. There was no followups. No crime watch. No reenactment appeals or interviews of any kind whatsoever. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I never understand the "sadness" of her husband.

He only once stayed in schull despite being a seasoned traveller.

They had all but separated by December 1996 and it's highly likely he had moved on to his new companion who he moved in with less than 3 months after the murder.

I simply don't believe his story that they had a convivial conversation the day before she died.

And what was her reason for cutting short her stay. Originally to stay until after Christmas, but changed while she was there to Dec 24th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Kelvinyook

Yes that reminds me there's an image of the phone still by the bed, i assume that was normally kept downstairs. I added direct quote from the housekeeper cos she may have meant into the grounds rather than the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I think the Garda investigation went in the correct direction and, while flawed, was well founded. I think that unfortunately excludes me as a conspiracy theorist by default. Mentioning Gemma seems to hit a raw nerve around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It would seem strange when Jules has consistently made it clear she is convinced he had nothing to do with it. Even as recently as a month ago.

"However she has made it clear she is convinced he had nothing to do with Sophie Toscan du Plantier's death, and she would have left him sooner only it would have made him look guilty.

I am convinced of his innocence, always have been and that it was a stitch-up by the guards from the beginning"

I think it is more likely someone else.

I would hope not and the gardaí can interview the person who the elderly local claims told him they had helped wash bloody clothes at the time, otherwise it is just more hearsay. It may at least give a potential trail to follow albeit a cold one.

It is a strange article, also the bit about '.. can be at least partially proven' What does that mean?

I can't see the French group welcoming the development unless they understand it to be bad news for Bailey. If it leads away from Bailey then their 'conviction' is shown to be a farce. They have gone all in on his guilt.

If it implicates someone other than Bailey, keeping that information to yourself for 25 years while watching a man and his partner hounded by the Gaurds and the media would be an utterly shameful act.

Gemma O'Doherty while being far from perfect wrote an impressive piece on this crime heavily implicating a local gard who has never been investigated conveniently. She lost her husband in 2015. Hasnt remarried since & in some respects I dont blame her for going off the rails since then. But no doubt the gards and trash media have it in for her. She has a reputation for being a good investigative journalist and I can see why.

Its gas you undermine her but have put forth a continuous stream of nonsense on this thread & have resorted to GSOC in more recent times to give your arguments any sort of credibility. GSOC have zero real power & anyone with any sort of common sense in Ireland knows this. Did you ever bother to read what happened Maurice McCabe & John Wilson. How they knowingly and falsely implicated Maurice McCabe in crimes of child sexual abuse with no foundation whatsover.

Martin Callinan 2010 - 2014, do you know why he resigned by any chance??

Noirin O'Sullivan 2014 - 2017. Why do you think she lost all her mobile phones amongst piles of other evidence before she left office?

Open your eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Her feigning surprise at Jim Sheridan telling her the spot where she saw the man at night was near the turn off for Sophie's was utterly embarrassing. After living in the area, all the Garda interviews and all the scrutiny she really wants us to believe she has just learned now, 20 odd years later, that where she saw the man was near Sophie's road? She's an attention seeking nutcase that loves to create drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Sorry for being such a sheeple. In her ‘impressive’ article, what evidence or corroborating accounts did she give that suggests this supposed rogue Garda ever existed outside of her word processor?

GSOC expressed ‘grave concerns’ about aspects of evidence which are missing since the case was parked by the DPP, I think there is no reason to think they are likely to say the arrests were lawful when they weren’t. There’s literally nothing to support that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I presume the wine bottle was fingerprinted? It is very odd that the hatchet was never found.

What evidence have you given? And I mean real evidence apart from your nonsense theories because he had a domestic assault issue with his ex partner.

Dont start with your local so called witness statements btw who no doubt the vast majority were looking to help the gards so they will forget about their other crimes. This has been proven already in what they offered to Marie Farrell. Also, its convenient now without zero motive, she is telling people she is terrified of the gards but has never been threatened by Bailey. Strange she'd say that now dont you think? & In an area full of oddballs and ex cons. On top of that, a blatantly corrupt police force.

Why would she be so scared of the gards?

Why would she have told Bailey directly that she knows he has been falsely accused?

Also, if she was so scared of Bailey & knew he committed a crime like this, why not try to convict him to protect others?

So many questions that you will no doubt likely dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Wow - the garda investigation went in the correct direction - What? - are you serious - you have to be joking

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

Hi. I am getting a bit paranoid. Seemingly "some" other Irish message boards are automatically binning posts.

Earlier I said the French documentary had Alfie Lyons saying he had got a "good guard dog" a few weeks before the murder. It didn't bark that night.

He also said he helped Sophie when she bought the place despite him buying 2 years after she did.

Just testing if anyone can see my posts and I'm not just wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yep can see the post.

The dog didnt bark during the murder or Alfie hears neither dog barking nor the murder. Curious.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That's the conclusion I jumped to but didn't want to say for legal reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

No ,

Alfie had a good guard dog up to a few weeks before the murder, who would have alerted him if he still had him.

You can put on subtitles on the french you tube, but they will be in french,

so go into settings and switch from autoselect french to english.

• Advertisement

Quote;

"Plus the farmers who heard some type of wailing between 2-3am."

I read elsewhere the neighbours (not Alfie) heard what they thought were foxes mating calls at 2:50,

This is a vixen on heat;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4

I listened to Alfie again.

He says "it's a curious thing a few weeks before we had gotten a dog" then the French guy talks all over him.

I wonder if the French translation is accurate.

Surely you'd say "it's a curious thing we had a dog a few weeks before" if the dog was not there that night?

It is approx 19:00 - 19:30 on the video

https://youtu.be/OxZQTOaqwXk

I can't seem to find it now but do you know who the friend was who stayed with Jules after Bailey's assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

hmmmm... 'can be at least partially proven' does seem a strange turn of phrase. It does seem to imply there is some impediment to fully proving the claim.

It mentions hoping to speak with the person 'now living in Europe' the local elderly man claims to have discussed it with last year but doesn't mention hoping to speak with the person who he claims confessed to him back in 2001.

Is it for operational reasons, wanting to build evidence before interviewing whoever helped wash bloody clothes and whoever they might have washed them for?

Or is it because one or other or both the person who confessed to the elderly local and / or the person whose clothes they confessed to helping wash can no longer be interviewed for some reason?

Either way it may lead investigations in a direction that might uncover new evidence and help finally solve the investigation and bring closure to everyone involved.

If you turn off the sound and read the sub-titles , it's dire translating but you can make sense of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But I screenshotted the French subtitles and put it through Google translate and it says "We had a dog" inferring they no longer had it but Alfie actually says "We had gotten a dog".

I'm beginning to suspect the Goats that ate Alfie's weed.

Have the Gaurds even interviewed them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Kelvinyook

Found the comment from another site about the person who broke in

So I can shed a bit of light on this - I’m from the same townland (division of land in a local area) as Bailey and have grown up with this story. We have a local vagrant called JS (for privacy, not that I think he’ll be reading this aha) who hails from further west than Sophie’s house but is regularly found sleeping in ruins and begging for food from shops at closing time. They believed it was him who had been using the bath and the guards gave him an awful doing over it at the time of the murder, along with every other single man within a five mile radius of Kealfadda. Mrs Hellen, Sophie’s housekeeper, also presented evidence of a small axe that was missing from beside the backdoor when she was discovered.

I don't understand about the axe. Also don't understand why Hellen thought Alfie had been using the bath, according to other comments sourcing to book by Jim Sheridan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement