Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The wides in the first quarter and the poor choices in going for goal killed them as they were too far behind by half time. Their touch was also poor and you need it all to go well against Limerick. They stood up to Limerick for a good chunk of the match physically but 4 weeks on the trot was always going to be a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

The sad thing was Limerick didn’t need their A game to beat us , if your given the score Limerick had with 3 mins to go you’d think Waterford would be up or well in this game . No point sugar coating it just so disappointing you’d wonder what Tipperary are thinking .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well done to the lads for a great year.

I dunno, went toe to toe with them for the first 20 mins and we're still a point behind. The four weeks in a row obviously had a big impact but I don't think we'd have won regardless. Limerick are just a different class.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Wasn’t meant to be. Limerick too good. On another day we’d have taken more points in the first half and converted a couple of the numerous goal chances but today was disappointing. Credit to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Lost it after yer the first water break in the second quater of the first half.. (sooner these breaks are done away with, the better... Limerick getting away with tactic board again today..) The wides killed us from there to half time.. Unfortunately, Limerick are just a better side, to beat them you need to take all your chances.. We couldn't buy a goal today.. Our lads left everything on the field and ee couldn't ask anymore from them.. The 4 games in 4 weeks definitely didn't help us.. Limerick were fresher when it was needed at vital times, and got their scores easier than us.. Hopefully Cahill will stick around for one more year...

DÉISE ABÚ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just as it looked like Waterford could be edging closer and we're picking up a few scores Limerick scored a goal where a player was allowed stroll past our full back like he didn't even exist. That position seems to be a curse for Waterford. No other full back in the country would have let him walk through like that with a half arsed attempt at a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Back to the group stages next year which has not be happy hunting grounds for us

Would love Limerick to be our first game of the championship in that

Let's hope Cahill does stay with us

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Limerick illegally hand passing that led to a fair few points today too - their goal was def a throw not hand pass. I dont get how they constantly get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Unlucky today lads. Ye tried your best in fairness.. I really hope ye win an All Ireland in the next 10-15 years.. You are getting closer

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

Very disappointing but today shows we're not getting any closer to limerick.

They look capable of dominating for a few years to come.

Lads never gave up and kept going but the first half wides sucked the life out of them.

Cahills initial term I believe was for 2 years with the option of a third....hopefully himself and bevans will stick around.

Decent year all in all beating tipp and Galway.

Looking at this limerick team. Physically they are still far ahead of us. 4 weeks in a row didn't help but we found it hard to break thru tackles. I'd imagine bulking up ahead of next year will be important.

All in all...disappointing end but we re as good as anyone outside of limerick...few nice u20s coming thru and age profile good bar moran.

County board need to sort cahills plans fast and get plans ready for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Limerick never allowed us to get an early run like we did in the past 2 games, they had us where they wanted us at the first water break and it was curtains from there really.

Dont know how many wides we had if we had got them and hit over the bar the 3/4 attempts at goal that weren’t really on in the first place we might have been in it at the end, but Limerick always looked like they had another gear as another poster said

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

If Cahill left I'd welcome Derek McGrath back with open arms. Team play in a similar way as they did under him.

Just need a full pack to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Disappointing day (again) but credit to Limerick they just play the game at a different level to us both in terms of physicality and execution. It seemed we tried to play Limerick's game against them but they have that game mastered so perhaps we should have tried something different. (but they might have just beat us by more so hard to know) I feel the criticism of Prunty above isn't justified - at all - as he was our best player as far as I could see. We can't just panic and say sack the fullback when our team concedes a goal. The 4 weeks in a row definitely caught up with us.

The team setup looked (depressingly) a bit like a reversion to Derek's setup with only two forwards up near the goal... Hard for any forward to compete when completely outnumbered and the flooding of the middle of the field as a tactic didn't work for us against a team of Limerick's quality. We were blown out of it in the famed middle third with no option to lamp it up the field when under pressure (which we were under the whole game)

When Limerick batter Cork or Kilkenny in the final (when... not if) we will have a better idea of where we sit in the pecking order. Limerick are far out of the pack the same way as Kilkenny were when they were in their pomp.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd agree with the sentiment of most of the comments, definitely not the dig at Conor Prunty who was our best player in my view.

I feel we lack an enforcer in the middle of the pitch, someone who could do the heavy lifting there. Kevin Moran and Michael Walsh did the job for a long time, Stephen Molumphy before them. We just don't have anyone of that size.Puck outs were a major problem as well.

I wouldn't fault any of the lads too much. Today wasn't to be, circumstances didn't help but Limerick were just too good. Hopefully Cahill stays on, we get a few lads back, bring in a couple from the under 20 team and give it another good rattle next year.

Have people forgotten the diastorous end to derek mcgraths reign??.....going entire league matches without making subs-when it obvious to all there what needed doing.only picking certain players,rumours of playing members of panel off againest each other to silence critism? Several playes now likely all stars/nominated walking off the panel over way things were

Enough about that bluffer though

Turned over by limk,gave away too many soft points,its the ability to keep score board ticking over is what kills ya....they go from 2/3 points to 6/7 points of a shot and then your playing catchup and playing on their terms,while they strangle out attacks and we ended up working v.hard for scores while they got em easier through a variety of reasons

One thing,im delighted is waterford stood up and were counted,felt they limk bully em last year in the all ireland in the physical stakes

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Oh man

poor showing all round.

positives first i suppose- we matched them physically in stages- only stages though. Plenty of times even with 14 men where limerick were able to congest waterford players and overrun the man in possession.

puckouts were an unmitigated disaster from both ends. Cant count how many balls heharty caught clean from their puckouts .

badic skills were not there from our lads, fumbles . Spills . The difference at this level is stark and limerick showed the effeciency of their first touch with a lot of their scores

the ‘tactics’ or lack of was bizarre. Third quarter where dessie was only man in the 65 and lumping ball into the 3 spare limerick half backs was mcgrath-like.

im fed up now - ill finish me guinness.

After 20 minites i never thought we would win the match at any point which is sad really.

i thought we were closer to the end goal , but i think we are as far as ever now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nonsense, he was wrong footed by a silly sideline pass. The full back line were very good today, particularly prunty. That Limerick full forward line for some really quality ball all afternoon and their movement is top class

full back is certainly not an issue for waterford

Were all hurting but i want to thank the Waterford team and management for the last few weeks

who would of thought a few months ago we would be travelling all over the country going to matches and one monkey would be off our backs (beating Tipp in the championship). It was a massive lift for the mood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

I think Waterford have beaten just about everyone other than Limerick in the last two years. Limerick are in a different class to everyone at the moment.

Currently Tipp and Galway are facing major rebuilds, Kilkenny look to be stagnating, Cork are coming back. Waterford may be the second best team in the country at the moment. With the amount of injuries that's a great result.

You will need one or two outstanding players to carry the team forward, De Burca back would help; Gleeson is too intermittent to influence a game enough, you need at least one more exceptional player around the middle section. Most teams trying to make the breakthrough face a really tough dominant team, they'll have to dethrone, Limerick are ye're version, Kilkenny were ours. Only by playing them will you find what you need to beat them.

Reading Seamus Darby's book, he said Eugene McGee always wanted to be playing Kerry, he said you had to be used to playing them measuring your progress against the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

Stark but you can’t argue with it . Are we any closer to actually over coming this curse of winning an all ireland . They have to come back even stronger next year just to be in the mix again . Eventually we have to finish the deal can’t just blame well this is an exceptional Limerick team majority of all ireland winning teams are exceptional then you have the dynasties that come among ever other year Kilkenny , Tipperary , and maybe cork again in near future . I will go to the grave thinking we will never have a better chance of winning an all ireland then that loss to Galway in that final . Just have to keep on improving , nobody is going to give us an ireland going to have to rip it off somebody .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Thanks to the players and management. Absolute commitment just not good enough to beat Limerick and we looked a bit tired. You could see it in the passing and the same runs were not being made as often. We have a great team, hopefully next year we'll have everyone a available and can go again.

RTE news : Liam Cahill unsure on third year with Waterford

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0807/1239632-liam-cahill-unsure-on-third-year-with-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

well he has 2 choices, if liam isnt staying on, then he has the tipp job if he wants it. thats a rebuilding job where he will have to cut a lot of players and likely will have at least one if not 2 middling seasons ,while cutting down a lot of tipp heroes , and he will be villified for it, particularly as results wont come quickly and if he's getting to 4 or 5 years without trophies tipp people will turn on him.

on the other hand he can stick with us, near guaranteed at least an all ireland semi and a competitive season, and he must feel he has unfinished business . this iwll also allow someone else to do the dirty work in tipp, and then he can swoop in when tipp are at a low ebb and won't be able to help but improve their fortunes .

no guarantees, and if he is called how hard will it be to turn down your own county, but theres a good bit to the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

I feel he will leave. The Limerick team is better than ours and I think he knows it.. He has a lot talent in Tipperary to play with..

If he does then who could we get in ?

Very important appointment

Sheedy want to stay on is the word in Tipp. So unless the co board shaft him and go after Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would be hopeful Cahill and Bevans give it one more year. They’ll have players back in de Burca, Pauric, a fit Iarlaith Daly and possibly SOK if he chooses to return. Michael Kiely did well this year and a few more from this and last years u20s can come in to push for places. That and hopefully it being back to normal in terms of reverting back to the round robin in championship, it’ll be a chance to get a full proper preseason in before the league and have a good crack at the championship in ‘22 with a format they haven’t yet had a chance to experience. Would be a bit of a headache for us if they choose to move on if the Tipp job becomes available as I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that could come in. In saying that, at least our stock is a bit higher now than it was in late 2019/early 2020 when Cahill came in so it might attract some interest if the position becomes vacant.

Disappointing end to the season yesterday. I don’t think many of us really believed we’d beat Limerick and were going in in hope rather than expectation. We really needed everything to go right from the start like it did v Tipp and Galway and them to be a bit off to have a chance but the writing was on the wall by the first water break. Essentially game over at half time. Reminded me of playing KK about 10 or so years ago, they open up a 5 or 6 point lead and it’s curtains. The most disappointing thing for me was just that it doesn’t look like we have gotten any closer to Limerick since last year. Had we stayed with them for 50 mins or so before fading you could make the point we just ran out of steam and will be back stronger next year but we’re still as far off them as last Nov/Dec.

Credit to the lads though they kept battling to the end. We just couldn’t buy a goal which always seems to be the case against this superb Limerick side in championship.

Calum Lyons, the three Bennetts, Hogan, Barron, Aussie, Prunty, Dessie all had brilliant years. Hopefully a few of them will pick up an All Star for their efforts to take the sting out of yet another year that could have been…

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

If anything, a switch to round robin would be a negative for Waterford and the other Munster teams. Last year Galway beat Tipp but every other match between Leinster and Munster teams was won by the Munster team. Kilkenny must beat Cork today to avoid a total white wash this year. But next year 3 teams progress from each province if we go back to that system. And in Munster that's a dog fight.

• Advertisement

Surely we should approach pat ryan again,if cahill and bevens leave?

Advertisement