Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That would seem like common sense to most people, I'd think. Though judging from what the head guy in the association is saying, you'd wonder how much of that will apply. Don't know much about it, but seems to me he could have made his point here in a less crude manner than this.

https://www.newstalk.com/sport/blame-the-athletes-not-the-horses-says-modern-pentathlon-chief-1235943

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

She.

And if she got thrown out, the rider should have as well - her behaviour and handling of the horse was an absolute disgrace. A number of the horses were difficult, but I didn't see any other riders kicking and whipping them.

How in the name of God did she think her handling might persuade the horse to cooperate???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He seems to be a bit of a jerk, speaking so disparagingly of athletes in his own sport like this. Sounds like a Pat Hickey or John Delaney type. The German federation say they have their own proposals for rule changes and had already come up with them even before yesterday's incidents.

Schleu says btw that she wanted to use a replacement horse but was refused by the officials. I wonder if our friend above is trying to deflect, deflect, deflect.

Post edited by Strazdas on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

This horse respect stuff is more PC nonsense.

A horse is an animal. They should be treated humanely. However a human doesn't owe a horse a friendly Pat or acknowledgement.

A horse is an animal who will break your leg in an instant without warning, your back too. They're not family pets. You treat the animal well. But there's no charter outlining gratitude towards a horse.

Good morning all!

• Advertisement

The Japanese are even trying to play the bodhran!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

Fantastic performance from Emily Kay in the cycling finishing in 13th place overall. C’mon Kellie

That Brazilian music sounds like the stuff Borat listens to.

Surprised with the judging in first

Great R2

• Advertisement

One of the great Irish performances in Olympics

She's brilliant. Always performs.

Gold!!! Amazing Kellie 🙂

Simply outstanding performance, start to finish. Well done Kellie and everyone involved. Got tactics spot on and picked Ferreira off continually. Needed her best ever fight and delivered. Brilliant at the end from both too. Welling up here. Don't think 2012 was even this good!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Wonderful,

That second round was exquisite.

Gold medal boxer and ambassador for Ireland.

Fantastic!!!

Wait for it, RTE will go for an ad break 🙄

The state of her poor Mammy!!!

It's great to be alive on days like this!

What character, what skill! You're a great bit of stuff Kellie Harrington!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Epic stuff, Kellie stormed that fight. Gold!!

No gold for Billy Walsh's lads as Andy Cruz beats Keyshawn Davis. Very tight decision, could have gone either way that.

Well done Zaur Antia too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Good call, Ad break and missed some great scenes as the medallists stood together after the ceremony. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

That was fantastic from Harrington. The opponent was tough but suited her in a way and the tactics given to her by the team were spot on. She still had to deliver the performance in the ring though and she did that to great effect.

A brilliant win that she had to work really hard for, in both the semi final and the final.

I think I'm correct in saying that's the first time we have won two gold medals from two different competitors since 1932 and the first time we have won two gold medals in two different sports ever.

Is this now our greatest ever Olympics? 2012 had six medals but only one gold and, while 1996 had three gold medals, they were all by the same person and nobody else in the team won a medal that whole Olympics. 2020+1 is certainly up there with the best of them for us now.

Kellie being interviewed by BBC....

"You started the games by carrying the flag in the opening ceremony, you've finished them with a gold medal"

Now that's what I call a decent set of bookends!!!

It's one less medal than 1956 too, but one more gold so maybe that is better.

Still in awe of Kellies performance, not just winning but how she boxed and controlled the fight. First two minutes a bit dodgy, but just took over from there. Seemed to box freely with no pressure weighing her down. Just superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Couldn’t get up. Will watch later. Super gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I had to watch it on the BBC, also where I watched the semi final bout. They have given Kellie so much time, praise,compliments and coverage. It is great to see. They have shown all this again this morning in and around Lauren Price winning gold for GB.

Price has a great story too, they had a nice piece on her, raised by Grandparents as her parents were unable to care for her. They had a bit when she was at school and she had said she had three dreams - play football for Wales, become a kickboxing world champion and go to the Olympics. Her teacher had laughed according to her Grandmother who told her she shouldn't crush children's dreams. She has now achieved all of them.

This has been such an enjoyable last morning for me, I hope plenty of kids can take pride from Kellie and that we nurture the next generation of Olympians. Seeing the Irish flag and hearing our anthem on the grandest of stages is such a proud moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Watching the final event of the games, the water polo final. Haven't watched a minute of water polo all week but the withdrawal symptoms are starting to kick in and this is the only available option.

Greece's silver medal here will move them ahead of us in the medal table but we'll finish 39th, which is presumably our best result since Atlanta 1996.

Advertisement