Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Well, the government plan is to continue to ease restrictions and get things back to as close to normal as possible, however this virus keeps throwing spanners into the works, so who knows. There's absolutely no point whatsoever in making fixed political promises that may not be deliverable if this suddenly blows up in our faces again.

The vaccines should be doing something and the uptake has been huge, so that's certainly a major game changer.

However, it's a live situation and I think we'll have to just accept that it's going to be a case of ride it out and see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've no idea, but if a cafe is open, support it. If you want a pint go for it. If you want to visit that attraction thats been closed do so while you can.

Make the most of the easing of restrictions while you can. Grab the opportunities and make the most of the now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

True but if you want to get a child seen by a doctor now, first thing they do is send u for a test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

It just shows how fit Delta is and how no variant thus far can compete. Lambada is thought to have increased resistance to vaccines but that is not much of an issue if Lambada can't compete on fitness and thus low spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Received a notification that gral6 mentioned me in a comment but the comment was removed. What did they say?

• Advertisement

Based on the average post on the forum I would say he complemented you on your posting style and well thought out points and while acknowledging that there were some differences in your positions you do make some valid points and sure at the end of the day all we are doing is expressing opinions, and occasionally, just occasionally, actually supporting those opinions with facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Lambada is the fat one of the variants the lazy pig.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Lambda is not vaccine resistant. In terms of fold-reduction it lies between Alpha and Gamma. It's less than Beta and Delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Now this lambda variant b0llocks.

When we're vaccinated, life has to go on. We've done all we can. These variants will go on forever and we'll all have varying degrees of immunity.

The last paragraph of that - “to see where is goes” - is absolutely what we can’t do and a complete abdication by the government.

Businesses need to know when they will open. There is enough data, most notably out of the UK, for us to make an ambitious plan, with timelines and firm commitments. That was what the vaccinations were intended to achieve. But no one in authority has the balls, even at our level of vaccination. Instead it’s easier to stay in this fuzzy, ambiguous, socially distanced phase in which we just get pushed around depending on (as you say) “where it goes”.

we have a live example on our doorstep….actual real world data is available showing what happens if we eliminate social distancing…..and yet we sit and wait

• Advertisement

Intended to achieve. If, for example, the vaccines subsequently don’t work very well (which hopefully will not be a scenario we have to face), but it’s still not beyond the realms of possibility, things will change.

We are basing our strategy on one weapon only at the moment and hopefully it remains effective.

You’re asking for cast iron guarantees about unknowable unknowns. We are very much in best guess mode at the moment. We’ve a fair idea of what might happen, but you can’t sit down and have a political negotiation with a coronavirus and ask it to firmly lay out its intentions and a roadmap for how it intends to interact with immune systems over the next 12 months and if it has escape variants planned.

The unpalatable reality is that this is a rather serious pandemic, a force of nature, and the responses are being developed on the fly as we go. Flexibility is needed, as there is no alternative.

Hopefully things go smoothly, but you might as well be angry about earthquake or lightening strikes. There’s only so much can be predicted.

Until we have a couple of months of restored activity with high vaccination levels, I don’t think it would be very sensible to be locking anyone into anything. We simply do not know where this will be in 3 months time there isn’t enough data points or experience to accurately model it yet, so until then it’s all about flexibility and adaptability until we know it’s genuinely controlled.

It doesn’t mean we can’t open up or restore normality in the meantime, but it shouldn’t mean we go into the next phase with iron clad guarantees of Boris Johnson, tabloid headline “freedom day” type stuff either. It’s how you set yourself up for unrealistic expectations.

Personally, I would rather see COVID for what it is and deal with it as it comes, rather than burying my head in the sand about it and pretending political promises can be made.

What we need in place are contingencies to ensure maximum economic activity can happen and can be sustained and to know that there are adequate systems and strategies there to deal with any potential eventuality.

It’s all fine and well to be a total optimist but it’s a government's duty to plan for less than optimal scenarios and worst case scenarios when you’re dealing with something with high risks.

They shouldn’t be over cautious but they also can’t just drop their guard either.

It also doesn’t mean that we need to be so conservative that we can’t move. There’s a realistic level of caution and a pragmatic and realistic approach needs to be taken here and at this juncture, I can’t see how locking things into fixed dates and roadmaps is going to be very helpful.

There is a cautiously optimistic number of weeks that need to be gotten through before making any fixed promises and that applies to anyone in planning anything, be they private organisations and businesses or governments.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

Think I read somewhere today we had 77% fully vaccinated, we should be cooling down very quickly over the next few weeks, maybe achieve excellence if the take up keeps going with the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I admire the confidence a lot of you have that things won't close again. I wish I could share in that confidence but after everything we've been through over the last year and a half and with the continued "abundance of caution" I would very much be resigned to a fairly sh!tty winter time. Like the poster above said, "make the most of now"

We should be at about at or beyond 90% of over 16s fully vaccinated within the next 3 weeks or so. We’ve 90%+ on the pathway to that as it stands, so it’s just waiting for second doses to finalise it.

That’s absolutely phenomenal and hopefully it does have huge impact.

If you look at discussions in February and March, the outlook was a hell of a lot bleaker and the idea that we would be achieving basically full adult population vaccinated by the end of the summer seemed a bit far fetched, but we’ve achieved it and actually beaten most expectations on uptake by quite a bit.

The notion that we might have an antivax issue has also been firmly disproven, despite noisy posters on social media, it’s conclusively proven to be a very niche, if noisy, audience and one that was probably being heavily amplified by online bubbles full of Americans.

My only point is you don’t declare something over until it’s really over, particularly when you’re dealing with a foe that’s like something out of a horror movie and can throw some really nasty twists just as you think things are all well.

Give it 6 to 8 weeks of stably high vaccine rates and normal social activity to actually have a sense of where this is likely to be going.

My sense is we are looking at annual boosters starting in the autumn and covid becoming a manageable risk, with a need for regular vaccine updates for quite some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

Have you not heard that over 80% of the Irish population have been vaccinated for Covid 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Common travel area could scupper our progress going into the autumn ...at what level of hospital beds or ICU beds will nphet sound the alarm again.

It hasn't made any difference in terms of restrictions, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

You are dead right...I kind of agree with both of you but more the poster....We have incredibly high numbers vaccinated but still feel we have quite significant restrictions AND none of us know when exactly/or even a rough date of when they will be relaxed....Small example: Apparently Aviva can have 50% in September yet many stadiums in Europe were full/nearly full in June...Its ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

A large Japanese study release these week concluded that Lambda had strong resistance to vaccines.

The paper is here: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.454085v1.full

So even though cases have been rising rapidly restrictions have not been easing with all the talk being of further easing?

• Advertisement

Germany limiting to 50% and 25k max no matter how big the ground is.

Serie A starting at 50% and only for those with Covid pass

France - fans need Covid pass

Glad to see this is still an alternate reality with no knowledge of the real world

Why have several posters said they dread going to Ireland (I've read a few in the past couple of days) if it's increasingly relaxed there and restrictions are being eased? And what significant restrictions have been eased? It's illegal to have a cup of tea in a café or restaurant unless you show a piece of paper or an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So you think thats the exact same as the business being shut?

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Have you actually tried going outside in the last few weeks, the reality on the ground is far from what you're peddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You're missing the fact that the standard max allowed crowd at a stadium event in Ireland is 500. Any crowd above that are only those on the special "pilot" list. It's a nonsense of a situation.

I understand that people want to be positive and hopeful, and that's good, but it's true to say that hardly anything has changed in terms of restrictions. There's no comparison between Ireland and England, for example. Life is 99% normal in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Definitely not the case for every child I know .

Advertisement