Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

They (Cork) had a fine team. Micko always said the right things. Never gave any opposition any motivation! Poor oul Micko is shook enough. He was flying managing Wicklow at 76 or so but time has caught up on him a bit.

Does any Cork person know is Donal O'Grady keeping well? I thought he looked poorly in the Christy Ring birth centenary documentary last November. A great hurling man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I remember someone once saying that Micko was the best sports psychologist ever and I can see the truth in that.

The cork lads will obviously tell you more but saw Donal on the pitch before the game last week and he seemed to be looking grand to the naked eye anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

doesnt count so,I'll ask the record keepers to erase it.

I'll call it here if and it's a big if kk beat cork tomorrow,limerick will beat them by ten plus in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Its a fear of being hammered but its a self destruction tactic as you have no chance to win the game unless the opposition don't show up. Waterford have tried this 4 times against Limerick and failed. In 2017 they played a sweeper v galway in the final, a team that had run through the championship picking off teams from 50 to 60m and rarely scoring a goal. Its stupid tactics that lost relevance in the early part of the last decade.

Ah that's great I hadn't seen him since the documentary and he looked a bit gaunt in it.

Micko's results with counties like Kildare, Laois and Wicklow were amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

a lot of posters here putting far to much stock in history.

Judge this championship on the performances of the teams in this championship alone.

Waterford were terrible in the first round and lost against a Clare team who have a serious lack of depth with only two decent players. Waterford were so bad in the first round that a 100% improvement wouldnt scare anyone.

Limerick had a bit of a game for a while against a young cork side, but when they lost a man they went up a few gears and always had it in them.

Tipp made hard work of A very average clare side in the semi and never showed anything to make them be considered title contenders, their first half in the Munster final caught everyone by surprise but couldnt keep it up.

The QF’s in leinster were pointless, while wexford put in a massive shift and rattled Kilkenny in the semi they couldnt finish the job and kilkenny had a handy leinster final win. How bad were galway? Some considered them to be the best places to challenge limericks.

There is a question over how good kilkenny are, what level are they hurling at because a 9 point win against a weakened dublin side isnt exactly emphatic, but their display under pressure against wexford was impressive, however should it even have been that close?

Cork vs kilkenny will be interesting to see how good kilkenny actually are because the level leinster hurling is at is difficult to judge, and how far Cork have come can be gauged against kilkenny.

Tomorrow will tell a lot but i don't see anything happening that will scare limerick - the only team left that has turned up everyday so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Galways displays turned this championship upside-down. The most likely challengers to Limerick turning in two terrible performances had massive knock on effects for the entire competition. It resulted in a poor Dublin team reaching the LF, which KK won at their leisure and as a result we dont really know where they're at. Cork as a result end up in a hsndy QF rather than facing Galway or KK.

The terrible first half performance against waterford made them look better than they are and they took advantage by beating a wounded and aging Tipp.

KK are the only really unknown quantity left. Cork have shown nothing to suggest they're significantly better than other years so unless KK bring fire and brimstone then Limerick will pocket another AI in 2 weeks time.

I would never write off a Brian Cody team totally. They'll bring an honest endeavour (if, big if, they get past Cork) and a belief. It probably won't be enough against Limerick. But we can't say for definite. It'll be close if the last 2 meetings are anything to go by. Limerick won a semi final against a jaded Waterford, nothing more. Hyped up teams often fall in many sports.

Some posters here are in complete awe of them. Limerick accumulate points but they take a long time in their matches to knockout teams. Someday they'll leave a team in it too long, and their might be a goal burst or scoring spree from the opposition.

Huw Lawlor won't fear Flanagan, no Kilkenny player will fear any Limerick one. If you were Mikey Carey, DJ's son, would you fear a Limerick man?? They'd be chomping at the bit to get at them. Padraig Walsh, TJ. Like Cork lads, hurling is bred in them, their life. They'll come home victorious or on their shields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Flanagan won't fear Huw Lawlor. What has Mikey Carey done that will make the Limerick HF line quake in their boots? If hurling is bred into Kilkenny, how come they've won no underage AI in years and no Senior in 6 years? You're getting carried away with your own narrative, put down the Internet for a while like a good lad, you're spouting on here too much as it is.

I didn't say Limerick should fear KK. I'm countering the 'invincible' Limerick line. They mightn't have underage recently but they get a few off the U20s each year.

Kilkenny 36 All Irelands, Limerick 9. They didn't care much for your half forward line in 2019. I'm sure Mickey Carey will acquit himself well.

Nothing worse than a parvenu. Won nothing in 6 years. You spent 45 years in the wilderness.

I'll spout on if I want to, you don't control who posts. The nouveau riche 😂 Go back to your Massey Ferguson MF 'man'. Get yourself a proper tractor. Are you hand milking 10 cows? Traming hay in the heatwave? Can't beat the buck rake😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

It was just a light-hearted comment, no need to be a humourless gowl about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Maybe lay off the sherry you're making a fool out of yourself.

Kilkenny are not at Limerick's level at the present time

How do you know? You thought that in 2019 and you were the 'fool' going home with your tail between your legs. Kilkenny mightn't be at Limerick's level, or Cork, but we won't know until, 22 August.

Ye are a very precious crowd in Limerick. Suggest that someone could give you a game and you throw out the insults. They have won no All Ireland yet. KK tore into you in 2019 in the first half and when ye reacted it was too late. What's to say it'll be different this year? Kilkenny may have improved more than ye. Learn to win with grace and less thuggery on the field too.

Now that's a foolish statement. Getting ratty when someone offers a different view point. Thinking your better than the team that last beat ye in the championship and ye haven't played them yet. It only took you one post to make a fool of yourself!

You posted this post in 2015 🤣🤣🤣

'So they've won 11 of the last 16, 8 of the last 10 and 4 of the last 5. They seem to be way ahead of the pack with nobody getting close to them. There's no sign of a certain Mr Brian Cody retiring. At what stage should some change be made to the structure before people get disillusioned with the setup for example splitting Kilkenny into North and South Kilkenny for example.'

What a loser statement.

I think '04 was Waterford's best chance. We got past them in the semi, but if Mullane hadn't been sent off in the Munster Final and been available to line out against us, it might easily have been a different story.

Meeting Cork then in the All Ireland final, after already beating them in the Munster...

IF hurling is bred into Kilkenny ? IF ?

Don't be absurd.

A lad on a hurling forum, MfMan, who quotes Winston Churchill on counties making progress in hurling back in 2015..jaysus I've heard it all!

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” - Winston Churchill.

I find it ironic, as an Irish man, to hear Churchill saying never yield to force.. Considering the Tans and Auxies were unleashed by him here. And you're quoting this fella who felt the Irish were a lesser race, a champion of Empire? Good God. Moronic.

Good advice from Churchill when a heifir breaks through a fence I suppose.

True enough. Cork were really up for that final though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭somespud

The only certainity is that Limerick are in the final its upto Cork or Kilkenny(the counties with most All Irelands)to get to the final and challange. Limerick have nothing to lose and just play the game against the super powers of hurling. I would mention Tipp but they are out, I fear for Limerick coming up against such hurling aristoracy.

limerick will piss all over ye if ye get there. Can ye get there?

An uncouth comment from an obvious boor. Go back to the soccer forum.

Ironic that you started this thread.. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056286738/how-to-stop-neighbourhood-cats-crapping-all-over-garden#latest 😂

I'd say that's been a problem all your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭McBain11

KK may win today vs Cork. That will be their season though and fair play to them. They have no chance (absolutely none in case you're wondering where that zero lies on the spectometer) of beating Limerick in a couple of weeks time.

Waterford are the second best side in the country but the schedule meant they were never giving Limerick a match today. Even with all the covid stuff, it's a mockery that they had to play 4 matches of that level week in week out. A complete joke in a sporting sense.

This Limerick side are the closest thing to the KK team from a decade odd ago we will ever see. The only question is how many all irelands they will win in a certain period of time. It will be 3 in 4 years by the end of the summer. Anyone being genuine will realise this side should be 4 in a row by the summers end. Tipp won a title in 2019 that was laughable. The only real question is where to from there?

I think they'll end be being 3 from 4 by this years end and then 5 all irelands in the bag by the end of summer 2024, where the lack of foresight around how good this team is will give me a chuckle. It already does tbh.

Just to add, I agree with some of the commentary about the handpassing stuff. It's bordering illegal at times from Limerick. Handpass or no handpass though, they will absolutely blitz other sides whenever they want to step up a level. That's what great teams do.

This is a truly great hurling team. It's amazing to watch the lack of respect in that regard. I can only imagine the level of ball sucking this team would receive if they wore KK, Cork or Tipp colours.

Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭McBain11

Best of luck to KK if they get to the All Ireland final. If they make if there, I think it will be a complete blowout. Limerick by 10 plus. KK were a far inferior team to Limerick in 2019, but they caught them brilliantly on the hop in that opening 20 mins or so and managed to get over the line from there. Limerick are way past the past the point of being caught like that now. I actually think KK are a better side now than in 2019 when they beat Limerick. All that being said Limerick are now in a place that KK or any other side genuinely have no idea how to beat them.

I actually think because of that 2019 game, a KK Limerick final could end up a bloodbath. The notion of KK/Cork/Tipp history is one of the all time GAA nonsenses. Sides as good as Limerick pay no heed to history as they walk over team after team.

Cork Limerick final could be a lot closer, but they don't have anywhere near the level of personnel to actually beat Limerick at the moment.

• Advertisement

You're making no sense at all there. While it's true that Sides as good as Limerick pay no heed to history as they walk over team after team. that in no way whatsoever negates KK/Cork/Tipp history.

Referring to that history as one of the all time GAA nonsenses is pure idiocy. Between them they have 94/132 titles.

I don't believe there is a lack of regard for Limerick as a great team. It's just that the suspicion will always be there that without the bankroll, they'd still be also-rans.

Whereas the aristocracy would rather be broke than admit to being nouveau-riche.

Limerick are like Man. City in that sense, buying success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Reading some of the stuff on here, not sure why they are even making poor Limerick have to go to the hassle of actually playing KK or Cork, let alone why they are even going ahead with today's pointless semi. In fact, they could scrap next years competition too given Limerick have also already won that.

Limerick will rightly be favourites in a fortnights time but it would be very foolish indeed to write off todays winners. Ive seen many, many, many bigger upsets than KK or Cork beating Limerick down through the years (in lots of different sports).

Dont get me started on the wisdom of prejudging the next few years championships.

Many expected Limerick, with their undeniably great set up, to dominate at underage too but they were well beaten in both minor and u21 (more than the scoreboard suggested) this year. Its now 2017 since they won a u20 and its many years since they won a minor.

For the record, I see Paul Kinnerk as the real difference between Limerick and everyone else right now. I dont think their starting 15 is a whole lot better than anyone elses. But you dont have to be that much better if you have the best coaching ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

"KK were a far inferior team to Limerick in 2019, but they caught them brilliantly on the hop in that opening 20 mins or so and managed to get over the line from there. Limerick are way past the past the point of being caught like that now."

Were Limerick not just 10 points down at h/t in their last game. Also I disagree that they were caught on the hop by KK in 2019. It would surely not have been a surprise that a Brian Cody KK team would absolutely tear into them like rabid dogs in an AI semi-final. They look nailed on winners, but a thin glimmer of hope for the opposition might be that there can be periods of games where they are below their normally superb par like the first half v Tipp, a lot of the second half v Cork, leaving Galway in the game even into injury time last year in spite of being comfortably the better team.

Ive seen some funny stuff.

but to suggest waterford are the second best team in the country currently might just top it all. It takes some high level of tunnel vision to think that.

Go back and watch how completly inept they were against clare at the start of the year and their massive tally of wides yesterday will come as no surprise.

They are not even the second best team in munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Can you explain the role of money in Limerick’s success? Not sure how it works in the Manchester City sense. Limerick don't have the capacity to purchase players from outside so the comparison with a soccer team isn't clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AllSquare

Hey guys, I was away fishing for 2 months and missed the championship. So how did the 2nd best team in the country get on? The team most likely to take down limerick. They obviously breezed through leinster, a handy semi against against dublin and an easy enough warm up in kilkenny then in the final I take it? Does it matter who they face in the all ireland semis? Probably not. Sure they are the 2nd best team in ireland after all. So it's a limerick v 2nd best team final in couple of weeks time so? Great. Really looking forward to that one.

Limerick are very good but the hyberbole on here is so funny.

2 All Irelands, scraping past Galway in 2018. Beat Waterford in a final last year. And they're being described as 'unbeatable'. You'd think they were going for a 5 in a row.

Beat an ageing Tipp, jaded Waterford. They have long barren spells in games. Firm favourites and an excellent team. Potential to be a great team. But lots of players have 2 All Irelands. A lot of road to travel to greatness.

You keep going back in history to justify the. present. History is irrelevant and is just something pundits talk about to fill airtime.

just judge it on this year.

There is nothing any other team has shown in this years championship to suggest they can beat Limerick, maybe with the exception of the KK performance and resilience against Wexford but thats not a great wexford side and KK still have to get past Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Limerick not only have a great coaching ticket but also the best first 15 in the country. They are strong all over the pitch. It would take a rare off day from them to lose. For a lot of matches they are just coasting along in second gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Have a sneaky feeling however wins today will actually upset Limerick in the final but don't ask me to explain why! Just a gut feeling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be interesting to see if Cork wilt against kk as usual.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I think we will get a performance today and get the job done, but Limerick probably a step too far for either team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The money thing is such a load of b011ix. Do you think a big county like Cork don't command a bigger sponsorship fee than a small county. Kilkenny have had Avonmore for years same goes for Kerry and Kerrygroup which is Irelands biggest exporter. Clare have had Donnelly whenever they are short, Galway have never had to worry with Supermacs around. I bet Davy didn't come cheap down in Wexford

Very few countries can be acting pius when it comes to money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Limerick have access to a lot more money than those counties you mentioned. Those companies pay a fixed amount every year. To suggest money hasn't made a difference to Limerick is just blissful ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

It would be interesting to see the references to MacManus's money specified with regard to Limerick’s success. According to a quick 'Google' he offered to sponsor Limerick’s teams first back in 2004. Seems Iike a long time for all that money to make a difference if it's just money. Doesn't appear that they are importing a high expense manager either.

Maybe it's just that Limerick have good players and a well-organised set-up? They might get a good holiday at the end of it courtesy of their sponsor but that's not linking money to success.

It'd be good to see those who liken Limerick's success to those of professional teams flesh out the connection specifically.

You keep saying it's irrelevant, I keep saying it has a certain relevance.

Let's agree to differ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sure wasn't Daly on 95k running the academy? There's serious money being pumped into limerick and we're now seeing the results.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

JP didn't design the Academy system though. He used his money to back it, but it was designed from lads within Limerick GAA. There is (and was) nothing stopping any other county from doing likewise with their money but a fair few counties have splashed out on vanity projects, whether that's a stadium or a "high profile" manager. Anyone who has followed Limerick through the many, many bad days will have seen JP at all those matches, he isn't in it for the glory days, he's just another fan.

Tbf to Shane Lowry, he's planning the same thing for Offaly, it makes sense to invest in the grassroots, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 teamddr

up here in Antrim so can someone who is well enough informed tell me what Limerick structures are with an emphasis on the S&C programs and what age they start at because that commands serious funding. In regards to the end product ( current senior team) fair play to those players for following these programs since their teens, that takes serious commitment. I still think as good as hurlers as they are they are very dependent on turnovers and there size and physicality gets to the game plan. You take a well conditioned giant with the same skill sets and hurling forward thinking as other top counties and your looking at Limerick. Are we now entering an era where at underage we are negating small wristy players with great balance and pace for large six foot plus robots. Think we are in a dangerous place now for who will and who won’t be able to hurl at underage county level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Who are the second best team in the country then? Not saying Waterford are but it's Limerick ahead of the pack with no clear second best. Unless Kilkenny or Cork beat Limerick in the final, which I can't see happening, then Waterford probably have the best claim to being second best given they've beaten Cork, Kilkenny, Galway and Tipperary this season and last.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

KK fans content to wait to travel to the final as usual. About 10 to 1 reds on the Dublin streets by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Best of luck to Cork team and management today.

Rebels Abu.

• Advertisement

If your going to make statements like that then back it up with facts and figures.

Advertisement