Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I dont get the Joe v Kross hype.

While I like Joe, hes a shell if his former self and Kross stinks up the joint in any match over 5 mins. These two in a long bout does nothing for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Personally I'm looking forward to the match as Joe will most likely become champ and end the Kross reign and get rid of him from NXT for good. Not that NXT has much direction anymore anyway, but still, every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adam Cole's contract is up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ThePott

Decent enough NXT. Liked Dakota's promo and the Kross/Joe stuff.

The Shaun Ryan Prime Target package for Walter/Dragunov was awesome too. I liked the InDex ending too as cheesy as it all is.

Some other good stuff on the show too. It's not as good as it once was but NXT is still very solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dragunov be looking to make an impression next week.

That ending was probably the only time someone didn't mind being taken down like that. Indi was entertaining to watch in the interview when Mckenzie was saying "Love her" (fingers crossed) "or lose her" (sad face). This relationship is already more physical than Mandy and Otis were.

Who will Thatcher and Ciampa get to join them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

From WoR, copied from Reddit.

• Holy crap does tonight's WOR open with the bleakest possible NXT news. Nothing that will shock anyone based on this week but Dave clearly has first-hand details he didn't yesterday and...oh boy.
    • Dave says HHH and HBK did not pick the NXT cuts. Vince, Prichard and Laurenaitis did. NXT lost the war and they're going to change, back toward an older style of development. Big guys, young guys
    • Dave says there are divisive opinions about wrestling among the people in WWE and this is who has Vince's ear this week. They're going back to pre-fighting AEW, pre-"Let's out indie the indies" NXT, Dave says the Curtis Axel era of NXT
    • Dave was given exact wording, doesn't say from who but seems like a company source or memo. Reads it off. "No more midgets. No one starting in their 30s. They want people who can be box office attractions and main characters."
    • To be clear, that quoted part in the previous tweet is the thing from a source Dave read off. The LITERAL WORDING was "No more midgets". WOO WE'RE TURNING THE CLOCKS BACK 20 YEARS BABY.
    • Dave notes there will always be exceptions to the rule, like how WWE still wants to keep Adam Cole, who is in fact not tall.
    • As for Adam Cole, Dave assumes part of the meeting they had with him Friday at Smackdown was to offer her a main roster spot if he stays. Main brand writers have been told to come up with storyline ideas for him.

Who knew I was a "midget" considering some of those guys are the same height or taller than me.

And wants to build people to be box office draws? Clearly they're doing such a good job of that on main roster guys that they have to bring back Goldberg.

Here's where those excerpts are from. Definitely doesn't sound very positive if this is true. Makes you wonder what any of the top prospects would want to hang around in NXT once their contracts are up.

Will Rampage be going up against Smackdown? Curious if Vince blames NXT for failing to beat them then.

AFAIK Smackdown is 8 EST and AEW is 10 EST. So immediately after Smackdown Rampage starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've suspected for awhile that they're winding down NXT from what it became at it's height. The likes of Theory and Kross will be ok but it will be fascinating to see what happens with the likes of Gargano, Ciampa and O'REILLY.

The DIY lads really did rest on their laurels for too long and now it seems it may come back to bite them. The only reason they're not on the Main Roster is out of choice and now it might be that they're expendable.

They were nearly on the main roster as a team but Ciampa got injured after their first or second appearance.

Johhny should of gone up after his last Ciampa feud instead of going with The Way stuff.

Think that's a bit harsh. I think if there's been a lack of drive from them it's because there's literally nothing more for them to do and clearly no direction for them at this point. Had they pulled the trigger on DIY in 2018/2019 it would have been a big deal but once there was a whiff of AEW they kept them down to compete and in the process killed half the interest in the product because a good chunk of the people that were carrying NXT at that point were already well past due being called up and became stale because they were kept where they'd pretty much done everything that could be done. Ciampa/Gargano and TUE are the biggest examples of this.

If competing with AEW was the reason they stayed in NXT, in that they had to, then fair enough.

But in the main I find it was their own malaise. It wasn't like their work during that period was even close to their best so if they asked for that change I'm sure they would have been faciltated.

When AEW launched they treated it as a third brand so there was no real reason for call-ups. I'm not saying they were at their absolute heights, I think when Gargano and Ciampa were feuding was when they were at their biggest but I think if you look at the pattern from around Mania season 2019 to now it's clear they kept all those guys down in NXT more so than they would have without AEW.

Mania weekend with Takeover New York. Ciampa was stripped of the title due to injury and Cole/Gargano face-off for it. By April AEW was official but no inidication of what day it would air. Gargano wins the title for the first time and has now officially won every belt in NXT, nothing left for him to do. Logical booking and history of the brand would suggest once he drops that he moves onto Main Roster. Likewise Ciampa though injured won the title, his feud with Gargano has ended and assuming he's back from injury then there's nothing left for him in NXT.

Cole gets a re-match at the next Takeover and wins the belt from Gargano (Now Cole has won all the belts, him and Gargano are the only two to ever do so). Should probably be about now when Gargano moves up. They were still both hot acts, both of their matches got over 5 stars from Meltzer. By now though WWE are ready for competition and later that month AEW file a trademark indicating they will be airing Wednesdays. After that WWE doubled down, anything they did after that was to make the brand feel big and for TUE and Gargano/Ciampa be the selling point for the brand. Hell by September of 19 (First NXT on USA) the Undisputed Era held all the gold for the first time. They kept who they thought were the faces of NXT at the time, TUE and DIY down in NXT to compete with AEW even though by the time they'd launched they had pretty much run out of things to do with them. TUE had all the gold and Ciampa/Gargano had nothing left to do. Cole and the rest of TUE should have moved up once he dropped the title. The calibre of matches was still good but WWE had already put a lot of work into making the guys in NXT feel like a big deal (Survivor Series '19) despite the fact all the major stars down there now had nothing to do as their major feuds were wrapped and the titles had been won. It's why the just threw Ciampa in a tag-team (which I like) and threw Gargano into a faction (I like less) and why the broke up TUE because there's nothing else logical for them to do aside from a call-up.

I would even argue that any other singles male roster member that has moved up the main roster since 2019, was not a massive star in NXT pre-AEW. WWE kept the people they considered 'pivotal' to the brand who were considered the stars of NXT down there once AEW seemed to be going on Wednesday despite the fact they were all ready to move up.

Anyway that's my rant. They were scared to put the brand on anyone else which is why those guys never moved up.

Post edited by ThePott on

And saying NXT lost the ratings war even though they claim not to be worried about AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Daniel Bryan, arguably the man who had the biggest connection to the auidence in 10 years, would never make it in NXT today.

This company....

NXT was pretty decent this week as much as the whole brand feels tarnished.

Pete Dunne/Dragunov was a good match, even though it seems strange to have Dragunov lose even if it was protected. Enjoyed the InDex segments as well. Next week looks stacked and Takeover is shaping up nicely.

• Advertisement

I know he was distracted by Walter but the fact he fought back after the distraction makes it strange he lost. Expected Oney and Ridge to get involved leading to a 6 man match next week. Trying to remember the last time they didn't have a main event planned for the night. It's a very main roster thing to set the main event up at the beginning of the episode.

Thinking maybe Roderick will win the title next week with help from a new member of Diamond Mine to replace Rust.

Xia out for some reason? Mei Ying must be about to fight soon. Out of curiosity, I was checking to see who she is played by. She is

Karen Q

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gigi Dolin, I'm a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,395 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looks like we are seeing the death of the NXT that we know

Wheeler Yuta is now appearing in AEW as part of the Best Friends stable. He acts as Trent’s replacement after his neck surgery, but Yuta also found himself right at home. WWE had a chance to hire him, but due to Vince McMahon’s edict to change the black and gold brand they passed on Yuta.

According to a report from Fightful Select, Wheeler Yuta did incredibly well during his WWE tryout. That fact that the company passed on signing him shocked many. It was said that he “turned several heads” with his tryout, and WWE passing on him was a reflection of how things are changing.

Those “of influence” within NXT also expressed the thought that Yuta was a “perfect fit for what NXT traditionally had been.” Of course, that directive changed in recent memory.

One NXT talent pointed out that Yuta is six feet tall, 24 years old, could already work, and had recent television experience and checked almost all of the boxes NXT had been looking for recently.

Three other NXT stars reported said that WWE passing on Wheeler Yuta was “a shock.” A WWE official also described Yuta as a “head-turner,” but they still didn’t sign him. Another star also reportedly noted that they could tell a “major shift was coming when a guy like that didn’t get picked up.”

We will have to see what NXT looks like in a few months. Odds are the black and gold brand will be filled with several new faces, at least they will likely be younger and taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

What even is NXT these days? Ages since I've watched it but reading they're doing lots of odd comedy skit stuff like Gargano disguised as a waiter and Io Shirai going for sushi and the likes and other assorted hi-jinks, just sounds like yellow Raw and quite a change from when NXT was good! Would be great if Io left, love to see her back in STARDOM.

Maybe that's why Austin left them and Indi is rebelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,715 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gargano & Champia despite at one time a few years putting on the best wrestling and storyline in all of the WWE also caused part of the problem with NXT now, Instead of going up to the main roster once the feuds came to natural ending they stayed down and just grew stale.

The same thing could be said for Cole and the Undisputed Era.

Being happy to stay down on NXT is an issue everyone there should want to get onto the main roster even if Vince kills whatever momentum they have going up.

Can't remember the last time they made the "pie" joke. Indi seems to be enjoying this role. Just the small things like the entrance, trying to act like Dexter, but she couldn't keep herself from walking behind him for the view. And, of course, the big moment at the end.

Takeover is like a 4 main event card with UK, NXT and Women's title matches and the O'Reilly/Cole match.

The only other match then is the Million Dollar title match.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tag title match has been added to the card as well.

• Advertisement

Another really solid NXT. Honestly right now the Takeover card looks better than the Summerslam card imo.

Dragunov match was excellent, would love to see more of him in NXT proper. The InDex stuff is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, I like Beth's involvement in the whole thing. As a brief aside, I think the commentary team for NXT is really underrated. Main event tag was decent but I honestly only kept a loose eye on it. Having Joe do a suicide dive after all the speculation and rumours about his health sold me entirely, Kross has been irreparably damaged already by the main roster, I'll take another Joe title run.

Advertisement