Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I cannot remember a more prolonged spell of wet and windy weather. As bad as August has been in previous years this one is the worst I've even experienced. The wind last night and this morning was fairly significant and it literally has not stopped raining since last Thursday. North midlands.

I wonder how will people remember this summer? I know it's been a decent enough summer overall on the east coast but in the west of Ireland it was a complete right off apart from those 2 weeks of very hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I've seen nicer summer mornings. Burr

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

May through July was decent in Dublin. But August has been a complete write off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Got up this morning + still dark + raining like yesterday.

The wind yesterday in North County Dublin was unbelievable. In the afternoon it dried up for a few hours + we tried to sit in garden for a while.

Every single thing blew away including the chair cushions + we had to come in after about half an hour because I actually had a headache from strength of wind blowing in my ears, I'm not joking! Like in winter on a day like that I'd have my wolly hat to protect me ears but not in August.

• Advertisement

The wind today in Arklow sounds like ocean waves

Quite calming ironically

Dry so far like all of yesterday here

August rainfall,last 8 days still just 17mm

Air temp is currently 15.1c

Glorious sun in Arklow now

But windy

We have had 37mm at Dublin Airport so far not including today.

Arklow really does have its own micro climate.

Has it a roof and two sides over it to block out the rain like some of the good outdoor dining venue's 😄

August hasn't been a summer month in Ireland for over a decade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I still think this August has a bit to go to be as wet and cool as July 2020. August 2020 was also very wet as was second half of June 2020. As a whole this summer can't even be compared in anyway to the train-wreck that was summer 2020. May this year was poor in general but June was probably the best month of this summer in terms of dry and settled/warm weather with plenty of sunshine. July is obviously the hotter month but first week was a bit mixed and the final week was a write-off which started the very unsettled and prolonged Atlantic onslaught.

This August is rubbish so far but I feel things may improve as we head into the final week of the month. However I wouldn't be expecting another week long spell of dry and sunny weather this month. Any return to settled conditions may only last a few days at most before anther low rolls in off the Atlantic. This current pattern is going to be fairly difficult to break.

• Advertisement

Yep your spot on, that's why we usually always book our summer holiday abroad in August, one last burst of sunshine before the autumn.

No trip away last 2 years but Covid, but hopefully next year or maybe Easter time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The last decent August was August 2003 with plenty of warm and sunny weather. August 2006 may have been fairly good as well but not as good as 2003. Since then every August has been poor or a complete write-off. Over the past 10 years every summer holiday to Spain has been booked to include at least part of August. Hopefully i can get back to foreign travel next summer or the summer after that once all the red tape/paperwork requirement of going through an airport is lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'd defy anyone to enjoy what we have endured the last 3 days. Non stop rain, the only difference was the ferocity. It woke us up a number of times during the night. Unbelievable amount fell in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If it's any consolation, going through the airport now is the easiest it's ever been. Ok, if you're not vaccinated then you do have the wait for the negative test result, but most countries accept an antigen test. Ireland seems to be the only one I know insisting on a PCR. But I went through Dublin airport a few weeks ago and never has it been so easy and stress-free. No crowds, no delays, no hassle at all. Ok, that was just after the lifting of travel restrictions so it may not be the same now but I wouldn't be definitely excluding travel this summer, especially if you're vaccinated.

🤣🤣🤣

Not quite ha!

East wicklow into wexford does have a different climate

We're often in a drought by now

Sun is beaming down here today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

53mm of rain in Markree yesterday and I well believe it. It was like biblical.

35mm in Sligo Town. I've got 63mm since thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

August always seems to be a bad month around Castlebar rain wise, Newport has recorded only 3 sub 100mm August's in the last 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Feels like Autumn today. Evenings drawing in quicker. Equinox next month then 6 months of more darkness than daylight. We had 10 days of summer so its not all bad. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

I gave in. Booked a weeks holiday to Italy for two weeks time. I’m fully vaccinated now so no need for antigen/PCR tests. Airport will probably be busier than when you went through it but I still don’t expect it to be that bad.

Fed up of the usual sh**y August weather here.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Any brave souls out there still wearing their shorts !! ??

I`m keeping the faith and holding out.

• Advertisement

Good on you. Just beware that from Friday the Green Pass became mandatory for a lot of things, including eating indoors, etc. From September 1st it will be mandatory on all public transport. There's a fair bit of controversy over it but you should be ok.

Weatherwise, depending on which part you're going to, you are getting close to interesting season, when convection can really get going and produce some nice storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Thanks for the heads up. Plan to dine outdoors given the (hopefully) hot & sunny weather.

Heading to Lake Garda and Verona so I would imagine convection could build up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

A decent summers day in coastal East Cork. No complaints.

Until the heavens opened 😅 biblical rain for the last hour

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I haven't worn shorts in Ireland in over 20 years. The only time I wear shorts is in Spain and even there once the temperature drops under 25C the jeans are back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Absolutely !

I will be back in a suit soon enough though :(

The young lad moves to shorts at the first sign of sun in March and stays on them outside of school time for as long as we let him:D

• Advertisement

Advertisement