Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good to see him hit the ground running, that feels like about his level right now. Good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm guessing the team that starts this afternoon will be the one that will start next weekend against Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Selling Salah next summer could be better business than selling Coutinho....as long as someone else steps up or is brought in within the next year.

Players come and go, nothing new. If he doesn't sign a extension best to sell next summer, even at 60m, ideally he extends, and stays for years, he's very much in the mold of Ronaldo, fitness wise, Salah is taking care of himself, he's no Rooney a spent force at 32 so had to leave the top tier of football, all down to the lifestyle he led, and still leads. Salah has gotten big into fitness in the last year, molding himself in the gym .

Salah few years ago

Salah now

He's very much looking at playing at top level at 36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We finally manage to sell him and he decides to become Arjen Robben all of a sudden. Typical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cc4iOsAOpA

VVD starts.

The other first teamers not on the bench so they must be playing the game tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Great to see fans back at Anfield, should be a bit of craic this match, Harvey Elliott speaking very well, kid is living the dream playing for the team he supports....

Good goal alright… he’s always had that though. He’s close to elite level at shooting from distance and dead ball situations, but it’s the actual football he falls down with. Just can’t do the quick interplay needed in a top team. He’ll always score an impressive looking number of goals, but he’ll cost you more through so many moves breaking down when the ball gets to him.

It’s interesting how much time Elliott is getting in the midfield 3 instead of the front 3 in preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gonna watch this one today. Haven't seen any preseason yet really, so looking forward to seeing Elliot mixed in with the big names. Great to see VVD start as well.

Match delayed due to queues getting into the stadium. Better to get that out of the way and fixed before the season starts, I suppose.

Goal Jota.

If Naby Lad can stay fit!!

• Advertisement

Lovely counter and unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It was reported a few weeks ago that he is seen as Shaqiri's replacement. He's not going to displace Mane or Salah in the forward positions this season, but the attacking midfield position suits his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Robertson could be in trouble here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

FFS hope it's not ligament damage there for Andy Roberson.

He's able to walk off so thats encouraging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Scary enough to see Robbo go down. You know it's serious.

Seeing him walk off has me hopeful it's weeks out and not months, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Baptism of fire for Tsimikas in the PL for the next few weeks so....

Looks like he went over on his ankle:

https://streamable.com/txcq0f

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Think we'll see a lot of Elliot in the middle this year?

• Advertisement

I guess we should be glad Edwards and Klopp didn't read stuff off the internet about selling Tsimikas during the summer and agree with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The starting line-up is Fabinho and at least one of Thiago and Henderson so the competition for the third midfield place is Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita so Elliott should fancy his chances of getting a fair amount of game time.

I'd rather Elliot over Ox, chap has so much pace.

Yeah - plus he just oozes confidence. He's like a more intelligent, better grealish. No offense to grealish.

Is this double friendly thing not really weird?

I'd say Ox is the faster of the two to be honest... Elliot has quick feet, but not incredible pace yet. Something that can be developed though, given his age. First choice midfield is close to nailed on Fab, Thiago, and Henderson anyway, with Keita the fill in for as long as he's fit. Beyond that it probably depends on how Ox/Elliot/Jones/Milner are training.

Only had half an eye on the first half with the hurling on (some game!), but Keita looks to be having another great one.

Hurling was a serious game - so same boat :)

We'll have a few other bit players. I'd imagine Taki is staying put? There's players you'd easily forget about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

That front three look so hungry for goals,a huge plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Robertson out for season ?

unlikely I'd say... looked to be his ankle. Could still be a month or two though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Im certainly no expert but I have done my ankle ligaments like that more than any other injury and I'd say we are looking at 6-12 weeks for Robbo tbh. Absolute best case scenario imo is 2-3 weeks but I'd imagine it will be longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tsimikas was bought as cover for Robertson, he's at the club a year now, so should be well settled in at this stage. It's not ideal if Robertson is out long term, but, this is the opportunity Tsimikas has been waiting for, he just needs to grab it with both hands and prove his worth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

1 give does not make a goal machine remember Minamino start in Southampton. Hope he does well though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Bit like how Robertson got in via the Moreno injury.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Hendo & Thiago will get game time tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't think Elliot is ready to start games in the Prem for us maybe the odd home one against poor side but that's about it ,

We don;t look solid at the back at all, Looks like we will take a while to get the lads water tight again

Blatantly obvious we need another CM & a Striker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Elliot could be a wildcard this season for Liverpool. Looks a talent and that his loan spell playing regular football at a young age did him the world of good.

That said, I still would like at least one player to come in in midfield and attack. Harvey Barnes was linked last night and at this stage if he was the only player to come in, I would be happy. Would give us plenty of options us top, and then the likes of Ox & Elliot could make up the shortfall in midfield over the course of the season. It would be a small bit thinner than would be ideal but knowing Klopp, he would just plough on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'd like to see a lot more of Elliot this season. Stroke of genius from Kloppo, putting him in midfield. Looks like he could play anywhere in attacking positions across the front three/ midfield. Very exciting player, and getting better all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

We might see Milner at LB though. I don't know if Klopp trusts Tsimikas.

TBH after last year an early injury is a bit gutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't help but be excited about Elliott, he's got that maturity and dynamic to his play that is really rare for his age. 7 goals and 11 assists last season in the championship, record assists for a teenager in that league. He's a special special talent and full of confidence. Sterling at his age didn't look this good

Elliott looks good no question but i think people are going overboard,

Foden, Sancho, even Mount where doing as good or better at his age, Sterling was also staring in games for us ,

I think Elliott is good but lets not overboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Elliot looks really good but this team needs two more decent signings. In real danger of slipping behind not just city but Chelsea and United

You mean 22 year old Mount? He'd want to be doing better than a 17 year old last season. Mount was in the Chelsea youth team at 17 and 18. He went to Holland at 19 and played in the Championship at 20.

At 17 Sancho was still in the City youth team. He moved to Dortmund at 18 and played 12 games.

At 17 Foden was still in the City youth team. He had 5 games in the first team at 18 and 13 games in the first team at 19.

So what you are doing in typical fashion is making a hash of an argument. At the moment Elliot is performing at a higher level at 17 years of age than any of the players you mentioned. He may not come good but at the moment he's doing just fine.

I'm not having an argument just my opinion , your entitled to yours to i'm not saying your wrong ,

Elliot is 18 now i don't think he's at the same level as Sterling,Sancho or Foden at that age ( fair enough with Mount being older)

I still think Elliot is a good player and doing better than 90% of lads his age but i also think the hype after yesterday game is overboard,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spurs in for Lautaro Martinez, really missing a trick there not going for him. Only 23, Strong, quick, works hard defensively, excellent link up play. He's pretty much my first choice to replace Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some people are suggesting Cunha as a Firmino replacement, and very much a like for like. Seems to have the numbers behind him. He scored for Brazil in the Olympics final.

I'm basing my point on last year because preseason means feck all.

Elliot had a better season in a full first team than any of the players you mentioned at 17/18 years old did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

August Games

Valid point he did but Sterling & Foden & Sancho never got loaned out to lower leagues ,

Also all 3 of them where 17 when they broke into the first team's at the clubs & all played more games for there clubs before there 18 birthday than Elliot has for Liverpool,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Given what he did last year and his pre-season form I think it would be more beneficial for him to be in the squad this year and learn in training from the likes of Thiago, Hendo, Salah, Mane, Jota and Firmino.

The kid has a lot of confidence and not afraid to be on the ball or have a shot when the chance comes. Would have been a cracking goal yesterday.

He looks a good player for sure, particularly if he can develop some extra pace to threaten in behind more - but he’s a long way off Sterling at the same age in fairness. At 18 Sterling was a nailed on starter and becoming a key player for us (and scored 9 premier league goals that year), while Elliott is still a fringe option and a bit of an unknown at PL level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement