Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The marvel xcom game seems to be the worst kept secret in games at the moment. It's pretty much assured

As for the power rangers game, why is it so grim dark and not camp as ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the current comics are more serious as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah the comics are not like the shows at all, sure they introduced Lord Drakkon (evil Tommy) along with completely moving away from the tv show storyline

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Disappointing. After beating No One Lives Forever more games need to be camp and not what a teenager thinks is deep and mature but coming across as childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Just play RE4 again, a masterpiece in camp, as well as a masterpiece in general.

I’m 100% certain the campiness will be the first thing to go in the remake and the game will be worse for it.

• Advertisement

I don't know. Capcom have been on fire recently. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

what I find weird is the need for the original camp shows and characters to be grimdark and less them doing a grim series with new settings and characters (which they did, when they did a Mad Max inspired series called Power Rangers RPM which was set in post apocalyptic alternate earth being conquered by their version of skynet)

Do a grimdark season of Power Rangers, but do with a new set of characters and setting, dont try and fit camp characters and settings into such a scenario

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whoah, Power Rangers is grimdark now? I never followed the series when I was a kid, so kinda passed me by. When the F did this happen and ... what' wrong with people? No wonder the world's so miserable when the Power Rangers of all things can't be fun anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The TV series are still colourful and cheesy. (Dino Fury is the latest on netflix)

Not like that fan movie with Dawson and Starbuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Another retro mini-machine is on the way - the Amiga A500. Speedball 2 brings back fond memories...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speedball 2! Ha! Ok, now I gotta go see if there's any kind of Spiritual Successor out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Speedball was class. If they put on Sensi Soccer too I'd actually be tempted, fond childhood memories

Sensible Soccer! Ah man, sometimes the nostalgia really does kick you in the fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a VPN on amazon.co.uk to buy xbox gift cards? I have a ton of amazon vouchers that I can use

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are you trying to buy digital cards? If so just change your delivery address to Parcel Motel/AddressPal and it should let you buy them.

Latest NoClip is a deep dive into Looking Glass studios and the Thief games. Man, that series and the original Deus Ex are games I'd do unsavoury things to have remasters of. Shame SquareEnix are content to sit on the IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Tried that but it's geo locked so changing address to UK doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Yep. I just preordered this machine from Smyths Toys Ireland (gamestop are selling them as well). Apparently it's also compatible with the A1200 so I am excited to see how those games were in comparison to the Amiga 500.

FFS can we just get the N64 mini already, that is the one I really want.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised how few good games are on that system when you realise how many dont hold up. Most of the rare games other than blast corp don't... Although I'd buy a N64 mini for blast corp on it's own. They'd have to make some deep cuts to get a good library on that system although they did a good job on the snes.

One of the big issues is n64 emulation is very difficult to do accurately. It's only in the last year on pc that it's anyway good and you need a monster pc to run it well. Nintendo wouldn't put out an arm based system that couldn't pull off good N64 emulation.

Just look at how shite Sony did with the ps1 mini. Aside from the awful decision to use European pal games it had horrendous emulation.

Wouldn't Nintendo know how best to run their own games? I had a N64 but some games on there I didn't get a chance to play like the Banjo games.

I'd say they would get 1 Banjo game at least then Mario 64, Party, Kart, 2 Zeldas, Lylat Wars, Pilot wings, Waverace, F Zero, Paper Mario and Donkey Kong. There are others as well they could put on there

Donkey Kong is bad. Hope that wouldn't make the cut.

They would put sin and punishment on there. Awesome game. Probably best game on the system.

I'd say you'd get ogre battle 64 from square.

Mischief makers was publisher by nintendo.

Turok from nightdive. Doom 64 maybe.

One or both of the Castlevania games from Konami.

Maybe mystical ninja. Good games despite the fact it's fashionable to hate them now.

I'd say they will get banjo and perfect dark from rare/Microsoft.

Nintendo might know it best but the N64 is still an incredibly hard system to emulate. Older emulators just used pc libraries like direct x but the N64 did a lot of things its own way and it made games look very different.

For instance the N64 used 3 point filtering for textures while pc uses 4 point filtering. It makes textures all wrong. The recent doom 64 conversion and modern emulators had to write a new shader to emulate 3 point filtering. That's not something you can do on an arm processor as it doesn't have the gpu grunt. Same with the motion blur and fog effects. Custom gpu shaders had to be written to get that right.

It just looks all wrong otherwise and Nintendo are very particular about emulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jet Force Gemini would sedate me for 6 months on an N64 mini unfortunately like so many other gems it would be impossible for it to be released.

Maybe a rare replay release for switch

Oh I know DK has a reputation, but since it's Nintendo owned I figured it would have a better chance than other games. I'd say they would want to have as few third party games as possible.

Have been hoping for a Rare Replay release for Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I played the first Banjo game on the Xbox 360. Thought it was good but needed a decent bit of effort for so little achievements so never bothered with Banjo-Tooie. At that time on the 360 games for me was all about getting achievements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Skip straight to the GameCube mini. If that means just a game or two and the splash screen given current storage and tech limitations, so be it.

Better yet, just make the next Nintendo console the GameCube 2 with the exact same design and controller. Nintendo should just surrender and accept they can’t improve on perfection - shove some more powerful tech into that purple box and give the people* what they want.

(*well, person at least)

More consoles need handles

I have ways to play most of the N64 games that I want to play already, I like the mini consoles more as functional collectibles. Also I don’t really subscribe to the consensus that they don’t hold up. The bluriness, 5m draw distance and slideshow frame rates are all part of the charm IMO. They just don’t look right when they are all cleaned up. The version of BK on XBL/Rare Replay is a great example, by most metrics (maybe all) it is far superior to the original, but it just doesn’t look right to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement