Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes

But only for fantasy sports arena forum and the fpl league threads. If not for the majority of that community wanting to stay on boards, I'd have moved along too.

Theres so much stuff that I hate about this place now but I'm tolerating it for the communities that I am a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Guffy

No

Every now and again, just to see if its been fixed really

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Very rarely now,the changes have not gone well.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Yes

I wouldn't consider it much of an alternative to Boards, even in its present unfortunate state. I've just taken a look at it and noticed that some of its most prolific posters are people who were deservedly banned from here. The internet equivalent of that pub that serves all the people who are barred from all the other pubs. Useful insofar as it keeps some of the dirt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

No

Yes but probably not as much. I found whenever I picked my phone up I always checked this site. Now it's just to much of an effort looking for something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No

Yes, it started well but attracted what feels like every re-reg troll and banned Boards poster. The moderation is 'light' to non-existent as the Admin is afraid to offend anybody and trying to be all embracing. It's already filling with a lot of less than desirable types who are testing how far they can push things. Others are opening threads just for the sake of it in the hope of getting the site noticed but the threads contain nothing of interest. The busiest threads are the ones complaining not just about the Boards update but the moderation of the site - you'd wonder why some of them were so anxious to be on boards or so upset by the upgrade when they thought didn't jump ship years ago.

I'll struggle ln here for a while more, in the hope of improvement

I think posters are intelligent enough to make up their own minds about ****. Plenty of good people over at ****, including some current and former mods. Most people there are using it as they prefer the old vbulletin format... unfortunately there will be posters coming on using it to spout rubbish, exact same as what happens here. This unfortunately is common across all internet discussion platforms. Its a new site and so the mods are only finding their feet. There's no law against having an account on multiple internet bulletin boards.

No

I never said there was any rule against it.

But the lack of moderation there is unreal at the moment. I think I have as much right to an opinion on it as anybody else and I certainly didn't suggest anybody was not intelligent enough to make up their own minds. However, I thought discussion allowed points be made and my point was some posters are going to ruin it if they're not reined in soon. The one's posting the garbage are not current Boards members as they were banned long ago. The guy who tried to sign up as Devnull is a prime example- at least the Mod changed the name to notthatdevnull

When that example you mention happened I think everyone was annoyed at it. The mods have put in a verification process to try and stop this type of stuff. But I can say that the majority of posters on gubu are decent people and I don't agree with you that it's a sh1t feast. I've had plenty of discussion over there today with some great posters. Yes you will get people coming on spamming the place but the moderation is tightening up to prevent that from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

No

Repeated attempts to blacken the name of any other discussion site (new or otherwise!) smacks of either insecurity or begrudgery tbh.

I've seen no evidence of hands off moderation there, but I will concede that the admin is pursuing a soft line, in fact, the community there are at pains not to indulge in negativity-in reality there are many posts on Gubu in support of the likes of Niamh, as well as many of the volunteer mods, which is quite the opposite of what is being alluded to here.

• Advertisement

No

We're drifting off topic but get over yourself: blacking the name for fecks sake! It's what I found there and if you didn't see it then fine but don't pretend there's not a large amount of dumping antivax videos and twitter feeds and there is most certainly a fascination with dishing Boards Mods. I'd be happy to see it do well because the more decent discussion sites the better but the single Mod needs to get a handle on things.

Yes

It's not just that people are spouting rubbish. It's the fact that some of its most prolific users are people who were banned from here. And for good reason too. When/if the mods there "find their feet" there'll be a lot of dirt to clean up.

No

Awaiting to see if my account actually does get deleted after 30 days.

Will give gubu a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Might still post in the GAA forum and thats about it, no trust in this set up at all

I can't follow new threads I post in anyway so that's a natural death for continued use

Nice to see the boards mod orbiters (all new join dates too lol) angry that theres a life raft called gubu which they can't control.... yet

I really find it odd that you have such hostility to the site from day 1.. At the end of the day it will never take over from boards and was not set up to do so. It was set up so that users who wanted the old style vbulletin board layout to post in. And other bulletin boards sites should be welcomed. I've done a quick check of the stats of the most prolific users on the site and can see that in the top 25 most prolific users the majority have accounts here and are still posting here, including two well known and respected moderators from here. At the end of the day posters who look at it will make their mind up themselves.

No

And I am a No is so far as my usage will probably decline unless it's fixed soon. There wasn't an option to vote : Will see how it fares.

Yes

I'm not being hostile for the hell of it, I just think it's shite. A pale imitation of Boards. But worse than that, it seems to have become the de facto online home for people who get themselves banned from here, but still need somewhere to be tedious online.

I think its best we agree to disagree on that last post. Good night.

No

I think it's a fine alternative for folks who don't want to bother any more with Boards. If you don't like it, that's fine of course, but tedious bores and arse-licks are found even here on d'original. As for the imitation crap, at least it's a better imitation of Boards than this imitation of Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

No

Its just too hard to navigate and find my threads etc. I hate it - what was wrong with the way it was. I pop in maybe once a day just to check on about 4 threads, that’s it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No

I keep coming back and post occasionally but most of the time I go to post something and think wtf why am I bothering and go and post in the other site instead.

Long term I'll probably get to the stage where I just don't bother.

With so few posts in the threads I'd normally post in there really isn't much I'd say anyway.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Yes

I seem to have lost private messages since the revamp, I can receive them still, however, older messages are nowhere to be found! Now this could have been me deleting them, but, I don't remember doing so! So at the risk of questioning my memory I'm going to say the revamp took mah messages :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yes

There is a major PM privacy issue going on at the moment. 'Deleted' PMs reappeared all over the place.

**All** PMs have been temporarily deleted from the site. The 'not really deleted' ones that reappeared on Vanilla will be purged, along with PMs sent to any now closed Talk To forums. Finally,  all other PMs (ie never deleted by user) will be uploaded to the Vanilla site.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BringBackDav

Only one man can save this site now...

No vote from me yet, but losing patience. Can't see any improvement since the 'upgrade' went live.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Yes

I had said yes but….

I’ve still been logging in and posting a little but I no longer go beyond the front page and this last week it’s really only been the feedback forum I’ve read and I’m livid about the issues with PMs.

I feel boards is finally reaching the end of a road for me. This is my third account over many many years. I’ve been here since 2008. Been a moderator in the past too. Without my threads and my forums it’s just too awkward to work with and I’m super unimpressed with the current set up at the top.

I also signed up with the other site today and it’s like stepping back in time to the early days of my time on boards. Will see how it goes

Yes is turning into a no

No

Quite a lot less

I'm struggling to come here as it is

Its an eyesore and unnecessarily difficult to navigate eg finding threads you posted in

Using the star at the top to list them doesn't list them all,I don't know how they're ordered

If you click on discussions ,for me anyway I get just 2 or 3 really old ones and nothing recent

The site is an absolute Mare now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

No

It not very user friendly.

At the bell icon permanently says 99+ . I can mark them all as read and within the same day it will be back to 99+

• Advertisement

Yes

I see you joined in May but claim to be au fait with the history of bans here...

Rereg?

The internet equivalent of the guy who is barred from a pub but tries to sneak back in saying he's someone else! ;)

Advertisement