Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Her behaviour was a disgrace. Behaving like a spoilt petulant child all because a horse was uncooperative. Grown adult..

Her behaviour was a disgrace. Behaving like a spoilt petulant child all because a horse was uncooperative. Grown adult..whacking the horse in anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Fin 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Now what to be doing with myself all day, every day (and half of the night)???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Role on Para olympics in 2 weeks and off course championship and premiership. Also business end of GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I didn’t watch the TV coverage, but the photos showed that the horse was clearly distressed. While I can understand her frustration, screaming at the horse was hardly going to calm it down.

But it seems to me that a couple of the horses were below the standard that a competitor in the Olympics should be entitled to expect and the organisers have to take the blame for that. Saying that it was the riders’ fault for not handling the horses better is just an attempt to deflect the blame away from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But abusing the horse when it doesn't do what you want is how equestrian sports work

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh absolutely.

But for me, it's two separate issues - the standard of (some) horses they supplied - and then the German rider's treatment of her horse - which was clearly not up to any standard at that particular time, never mind a high one, but didn't deserve the near thrashing it got by a panicked, distressed rider. Said rider should be sanctioned for that, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yep...at least it's only three years until Paris. And obviously the Paralympics and the Winter Olympics before then, though understandably neither will capture the public imagination in the same way as the main event does. Hopefully boards is still around for 2024 and there will a build up thread to take us through until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Ireland has done very well in the Paralympics in recent times and hopefully they will do the same again in Tokyo.

Good article on some of Irelands earliest (pre independence) Olympians from Epic museum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

RTE will have some coverage but not great maybe a daily show. I know Channel 4 always do a great presentation and normally not as nationalistic

Just watched Kellie. 30-27 for me. Not sure how they scored rd 1 for Brazilian. Rd three the closest!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yeah, it was probably Ferreira's best round but I still thought Kellie shaded it. In fairness, those three judges switched in Round 2 and acknowledged the great work she was doing.

I notice that no other female boxer from south or central America made the podium in these Games. People were almost overlooking that Kellie was coming from a region that is a boxing powerhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I took the last 2 weeks off work and completely immersed myself in the Games, living all the highs and lows. I've been running off average of 5 hours sleep per night. Now it's all over, and there just feels like there's a hole in my heart. 😔

Other sporting events like the World Cup etc, go on much longer and wind down as the event goes on, with less matches taking place, more time between matches. This prepares you for the end. The Olympics on the other hand just gets busier and busier as it progresses, then BAM, suddenly it's gone, taken away from us. Cold turkey. Genuinely feeling very upset it's over and am on such a downer. Maybe some might think that's ridiculous, but that's how much I love the Olympic Games. I'm sure I'll be fine in a day or two, but right now I don't want to let go of it. 😞

The flame being extinguished gets me every time.

Right now, every other sporting event feels so underwhelming in comparison to the Olympics, that I can't get excited about any of them. That said, only a 6 month wait to the Winter Games offers comfort.

Last time in Rio, the come down wasn't near as bad, as I was over there, went out on the lash the night of closing ceremony and the nights after, including a small holiday elsewhere in Brazil. I also knew I'd be spending a week or so catching up on everything I missed on the RTE Player when I got home, so in my head, the Games weren't over, and I was able to wean myself off them (you see a lot more of the Games at home than when you are actually there).

Anyone else feeling the same as me?

Even just typing this is therapeutic. I was actually supposed to go to Tokyo in the media, but I made a late call to skip it, and it was the best decision I've ever made. This has been one of the best holidays of my life, and I never left my living room.

Yep, the suddenness of its ending hurts..

Greatest moment? Warholm 45.9x for me..

Kellie and the rowers, of course!

I definitely get where you're coming from Chivito, but at the same time I'm kind of burnt out as well, the eight hour time difference made the going tough at times. I'd say a third week of it would tip me over the edge to be honest!

I think part of the come down is that it finished on such a high for Ireland - a gold medal with our very last competitor was a great way to finish in one way, but a bit of a cliff edge in another - straight from euphoria into a bit of a void.

That it's only three years to the next games is definitely a help though. I hadn't planned to take the time off for these games but life, in the form of an earlier than expected paternity leave, had other ideas. So I suppose I'd have been up early either way. I think I'll just take the two weeks off for Paris though. No interest in actually going there mind you, a one month Discovery+ subscription will do the job again, you really do see more on the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Am sure i said this 5 years ago but another sterling job from Peter Collins. Really like his straight up style of presenting and always asks the right, pertinent questions. Eric Donvan is definitely my favourite analyst, very infectious enthusiasm and great knowledge. Most of the analysis was good tbf. Missed Jerry, of course.

Just in terms of results, because everything else gets lost in the chase for medals and golds, we had a really solid Olympics overall with 18 top ten placings across all events - or 19 even if you were to include Diver in the marathon. And that doesn't include a few others who were closer to success than their final position suggests - like Shane Lowry and Natalya Coyle. I doubt we've achieved that level of consistent performance too often if at all in previous Olympics.

O'Donovan/McCarthy - Rowing         🥇

Kellie Harrington - Boxing             🥇

Women's Fours - Rowing 🥉

Aidan Walsh - Boxing                      🥉

Rory McIlroy - Golf                  T4️⃣

Stephanie Meadow - Golf          7️⃣

Rhys McClenaghan - Gymnastics     7️⃣

Cian O'Connor - Showjumping       T7️⃣

Kurt Walker - Boxing             ®️8️⃣

Mona McSharry - Swimming         8️⃣ 

4x400m Mixed Relay - Athletics   8️⃣

Casey/Cremen - Rowing                8️⃣

Eventing Team - Equestrian         8️⃣

Tom Barr - Athletics              9️⃣

Brendan Boyce - Athletics      🔟

Byrne/Doyle - Rowing                 🔟

Women's Hockey Team                🔟

Men's Sevens Rugby Team          🔟

Sinead Diver - Athletics (rep. 🇦🇺)   🔟

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I am relieved that we got to the end without any huge disruptions from Covid (to the athletes, anyway)

Things could have gone downhill very quickly if there were outbreaks among athletes which some events being decimated by forced withdrawals

It would have been better with audiences but Tokyo 2020 felt like the real deal, and credit to all involved in the unique circumstances

Some great Irish performances and some heartbreak as always, but the two golds will be remembered forever

There is nothing like The Olympics, there never will be.

Could at least have tried to make it even minutely credible by not trying to claim R2!

Exactly.

Rds 1 and 3 I scored Kellie, but I can see an argument either way..although rd 1 for me was clearer than rd 3..

Yes, agree all the way. There's something really beautiful and pure about the Olympic Games and it's completely unlike any other sporting event (perhaps the fact that every country in the world competes in it and all in the same two week window). Rory McIlroy says he was almost shocked to realise that he was not competing in 'just another golfing tournament' and that it was something very special which meant a huge deal to everyone. Even he has caught the Olympic bug and says he can't wait for Paris.

A big plus for me was the way that competitors from multiple disciplines were constantly supporting each other on the Irish team. Some of the rowers and hockey players were at the boxing matches and Natalya Coyle showed up at Kellie's fight today. There was a real sense of it all being one team, lovely to see.

Funny, i thought R3 was clearer for Kellie than R1 but I have yet to watch it fully on repeat and was a bit bleary eyed at 6am this morning so I'm open minded on it for now. Pretty sure I'd agree with Eric Donovans suggestion that it was probably our greatest single Olympic performance. In the boxing ring anyway. I remember John Joe Nevin giving a masterclass against a cuban in London that was up there. But I don't think it was better than what Kellie delivered this morning, that was phenomenal.

The Olympics are great for those team moments, one that sticks out is the Italian high jump fella waiting at the end of the 100m.

In the smaller sports too you usually have a core group of competitors who follow each other around the world all year and would get on really well

Yes and social media and technology has helped in this in a huge way. Athletes can follow what is happening with other members of their country's team almost as soon as it happens (across the disciplines). This would barely have been even possible in the Olympic Village 20 or 30 years ago. The whole thing is much more interconnected and leads to a great team spirit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Got eurosport relatively late for the climbing so will start watching bits and pieces back for the rest of the month that interests me like the Karate and the surfing. I care less about the results and more about seeing what they are like as sports so knowing the result does little.

On the boxing it was a great fight. Obviously I agree with the result but I am biased and am no boxing judge. The dad has a little bit of sour grapes but it did seem like a tough fight and a parent will always be biased.

Really enjoyed the games. Worrying for the covid hit to Japan from it. There did seem to be a few hiccups with organising things (starting a triathalon into a motor boat, placing relay runners in the wrong place) but overall an incredible watch and great to see what humans are capable of and see a bit more life in the world. Certainly there is a bigger and bigger corporate element to the games which is frustrating but seeing the athletes take incredible joy in competing and winning after their hard work for the last number of years has been incredible and well the corporate nature of events is everywhere in the world now and won't be solved/avoided by the games.

Advertisement