Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Col. Blackbeard

It's more evidence than you've provided, . Is every account where an opinion that makes you uncomfortable is expressed a "WUM account"?

I've been attending inter county hurling games since the 1990s and the first set of fans i encountered jeering, whistling and booing free takers were Limerick fans. I then provided examples of those fans doing that very thing.

All you've done is insult, accuse me of lying and of being a WUM account. It's all a bit classless really, a bit like consistently booing a free taker in fact

Post edited by seligehgit on

Cork are improving game on game, they have the fitness to deal with Limerick's fitness. they have the momentum behind them too, with Cork also winning a lot underage. It's just shaping up to suit Cork tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

There's enough weeks in the year, regardless of Covid, not to have teams out 4 weeks in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Also it's impossible to prove who is the first group of fans ever to boo or who does it most and you know that.

Post edited by seligehgit on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Just looking at Limerick's cross field balls on the Sunday Game, and success from same. It makes KK's continued lobbing of route 1 high ball into the forward line seem senseless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think there's some people getting carried away about Cork's "winning a lot" underage. They have won one under 20 title since 1998 and no minor since 2001.

They won today against a fading Kilkenny team and, yeah, there's some people who have decided to react with excitement rather than scepticism about the fact that they needed extra time to do it. But let's not invent imaginary underage titles to help the story along.

It's very strange going into an All Ireland final not liking Limerick because they win too much and being happy for Cork cause they haven't won in years.

I can understand a neutral wanting to cheer for Cork, especially younger fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

To be fair I don’t think people are giving Limerick the respect they deserve, and I don’t particularly like them but I have to concede they are awesome.

Exactly where cork best Limerick I don’t know, they may match the stamina but certainly not the physicality

Horgan had 5 points inside 20 minutes today, can’t see Limerick been as loose as Kilkenny were today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

KK have been at this really since 2016, boring and predictable at this stage when hurling evolved. They need fresh ideas. New managment. Cody is the GOAT manager but his time is done. Most of kk defeats on recent times have followed a similar pattern, rudderless and overran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Stand out of the weekend for me, along with the performances of the two O'Ds in the middle, think Cork going to have their work cut out for them trying to curtail their influence.

Also thought cork sprayed in some nice ball for Horgan. Both kilkenny and Tipp persisted with dropping bombs this summer, no future in it.

When a player is sent off, why do pundits need to state " he is not that type of player"

Dowling and chin would bore you to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Including this year Cork have been in the last 4 AI U-20 finals being Munster champions in 3 of the last 4 years and are the current AI U 20 champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think that would be a risky strategy. A repeat of the first half performance today when v Limerick where Horgan almost kept them going on his own might see the game gone beyond them by half time. Thought KK were better team for most of normal time, but didn't really have the quality to create the lead that this should have resulted in.

I think Cork will have to start as strong as they can.

Its fairly superfluous crap alright. No inter-county hurler is that type of player or they wouldn't be playing inter-county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Do you want them to do a bit of stand up or a dance maybe?

• Advertisement

I wasn't at match yesterday so it can be hard to see from TV, but Waterford seemed to be playing a sweeper most of the time. I was wondering why the lads marking Flanagan and Gillane didn't mark their men from the outside rather than the traditional goal side, like a sweeper is kind of redundant against good diagonal ball unless the marking backs play from the outside of their men and trust the protection of the sweeper on the goal side - Obviously serious communication and concentration needed to swap markers when they are switching sides etc, but I think teams should be able to better than Waterford did yesterday when they have 3 backs v 2.

Yeah, like I said, one underage All Ireland title in 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think some people are getting carried away with Limerick. How many times do you beat the same team twice in a year? What's the most Limerick have beaten Cork in a row in championship hurling? I'd be surprised if they'd ever beaten them 3 encounters on the trot, seeing as they've won their last 2 championship outings against Cork.

It's all well and good beating weaker counties in All-Ireland finals, another ball game beating one of the big 3, Cork will be a huge test for Limerick to prove their supposed greatness. History can leave a big shadow, Cork are a hurling giant, Limerick a minnow by contrast. This will play a part from a psychological perspective

Cork stuttered and let that game go to extra time, but should of won comfortably at the first time of asking. They got over that psychological hurdle in the end anyway.

Cork are a skillfull team, and therefore a confidence team. The confidence was down the first time against Limerick, but they are very much on the crest of a wave now. Once Corks game clicks, they can blitz you off the field as KK found from the 45 minute mark. This Cork team will be a very different prospect from the one Limerick beat first day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Some people might also get carried away by Cork today. Kk had no bench, reverted to win your own ball style of hurling that worked when other teams could not match their physicality.

It should be a great final especially when JP buys the CCCC and caseys red gets overturned🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Thought Waterford got too carried away with matching Limerick physically yesterday and forgot about smart hurling. Hit awful wides in the first half and their decision making was poor with Austin Gleeson especially culpable. They had fire in the heart but lacking ice in the mind.

Cork were superior to Kilkenny today but nearly butchered it. They have pace everywhere and the running game is perfect for them, but their execution of it was poor at times today, with passes going astray and poor touch and handling.

If they execute that running game perfectly against limerick they will cause them all kinds of bother. If the execute it like today Limerick will have it wrapped up by half time.

• Advertisement

Or one in the last few weeks...and possibly another two to come in a fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are dreadful.

Donal Og isnt much better.

RTE ruined their soccer coverage by bringing in bland young pundits and they seem intent on doing the same with GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I remember the Cork 21s getting done by tipp in the 2018 all Ireland and it was pretty clear they were an outstanding crop, even if they didn't win. People get obsessed about winning under age titles but the primary goal is bringing quality players through. Any team can be leaving likes of Kingston and Dalton on the bench certainly got a few options anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I never said anything to the contrary.

'The better team lost' implies Cork got lucky. They didn't. They forced three saves from our goalkeeper when they were putting pressure on us. We should be thankful to Eoin Murphy that we got to extra time because he was outstanding. He also needed to make a big save in extra time before Cork eventually scored.

The poster also said that Kilkenny were the better team because of the 'goal chances' they had. Why does that only apply to Kilkenny and not Cork?

Let's take what you said and flip it, if 'the better team lost', why was their shooting so sh*te? So many wasted opportunities. How can you look at a game where one team lost by 5 points, had double-digit wides, needed their goalkeeper to prevent it from being a lot more, and say the better team lost?

You could also flip it by asking if Eoin Murphy was really outstanding when you factor in his puckouts which were often picked straight to a Cork defender.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah you probably could, or you could put that on management who had no plan B for when it wasn't working.

Either way, I'm not the one that's trying to argue that Kilkenny were the better team.

Nobody likes to see Cork getting above their station again but the mental gymnastics at play here is so tedious and stupid.

Cork won. Cork were the better team. End of. You're literally arguing with me for the sake of it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Was that the game in Limerick when the Cork defence allowed the Tip player through on goal? Everyone around me could not believe he was not taken down further out.

Yes and it's more relevant as its the most recent.

You were quiet for a while after Tipp lost last week in the senior and in the u20 and minor..good to have you back.

If there's only one then "the most recent" isn't relevant. I have no idea who you are so the "good to have you back" reference is as baffling to me as the Tipperary match one. You may be confusing me with someone else.

• Advertisement

Cork were the better team today, even in the first half they showed glimpses of what they could do. They ran kk ragged in the second half, and in ET.

Final will be interesting, a young fresh Cork team with a shot to nothing. There dangerous in a final given their history. They have some exceptional hurlers primed for greatness.

But they are playing a young limerick team who are vastly experienced, their strenght and conditioning is the best going. Limerick won't go route 1 time and time again, they'll mix and match.

In all honesty, limerick need to stamp their authority on it, if its tight with ten to go, corks legs and history could swing it to the rebels

How does the history thing work in the last ten minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

What a match, only got home very late. Crazy stat I saw in the programme, we've only beaten KK 11 times now in C'ship - and I've been at 4 of those!

We now have a free throw in the Final. Suits us that we're rank outsiders. Last time we were this written off was probably '90.

We might win an AI very soon, if its not too late for Hoggie is another story.

Very satisfying to win dirty balls and defend well for most of the match, which Cork haven't done since the early 00's. Onwards and upwards, hopefully we'll secure the U20 back to back next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think that about sums it up.

The game sunday was a classic, two well matched teams with massive amounts of skill on display.

Cork deserved to come out on top, and they put in their best performance of the season so far.

But Limerick are another level to Cork, in terms of physicality and size they are much further down the road than Cork and we know that from their meeting in the Munster semi-final.

Cork have given themselves the chance of beating limerick by winning the semi final, but i think that its only a very very slim chance that they have.

Agreed, a slim chance on the basis that they have still scope for some improvement and the fact that they do have an impact from the bench even assuming Kingston starts the next day.

But its a bigger chance than anyone else would have. Had KK got through yesterday, I wouldnt have given them a prayer v Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Very little is made recently of the physicality of Limerick, they are streets ahead of everyone in size while still maintaining their mobility and speed

Take the two wing backs. Kyle Hayes and Tim OMahony.

Both excellent hurlers tall and fit who can make long threatening runs upfield all day. Brilliant under the high ball and have the ability to get the head up and pick a pass or take on a scoring chance.

But physically Hayes is far stronger, if you put them side by side you would wonder if one was a high jumper and one a rugby second row, the difference on the pitch is that Where Tim lost the ball at the end of normal time Hayes would have broken the tackle or kept it and drawn a free.

Any team can get away with having one or two smaller players who rely on speed, but overall very few if any of the matchups in a Cork Vs Limerick game have the Cork player with the upper hand physically and over 70 minutes that decides a lot.

Yeah, I think Cork are really pretty much still in the general pack. They got enough to do to beat Clare and Kilkenny. They are nowhere near Limerick’s level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I fear we could be in for a Dublin football style domination of hurling by Limerick for the next few years. This is different from the Clare team of 2013 or the Tipp team of 2016 where people thought they would dominate for a few years. This Limerick team will dominate for a few years and Donal Og Cusack said it on the Sunday Game last night but he left out the most important reason as to why they’ll dominate.

Limerick are literally years ahead of any other team in terms of physicality. I said it last year when Waterford were beaten in the All Ireland final. You can’t put 2 stone of muscle on Jamie Barron or Dessie Hutchinson, it just can’t happen and it wouldn’t work. Limerick have a freak of a team put together in terms of their physical makeup. No team in my lifetime have had a collection of 6 foot plus lads in the one team. It just hasn’t happened. The bigger you are, the bigger you can get and these Limerick lads are like monsters. We were sitting in the Lower Cusack Saturday evening and their warmup was going on in front of us. There’s not a team in the country that can get to their standards and even if they could, it would take 3 or 4 years to do so.

If Limerick are being outhurled, they’ll take the physicality up a notch or two and they’ll ware teams down with massive hits and pure power. You can be the best hurler in the world but when you are running in to players that are 2 or 3 stone and 6 inches taller than you then there’s very little you can do. They might be matched hurling wise, but there’s no way they will be matched with hurling and physicality.

The common theme with this Limerick team is “legacy”. I’ve seen it been mentioned in interviews I don’t know how many times over the last 2 years by different players. They want to leave their mark on the game so they’re not going to get caught sleeping. They’re totally focused on one thing and that’s winning. All the above being said, they’re a horrible team to watch and they aren’t a patch on the great Kilkenny team of the 2000s. They could end up with a pile of all Ireland’s and I’d still class that Kilkenny team as the best ever. Kilkenny changed the game for the better, Limerick are changing it too but I’m not a fan of the way they’re doing it.

I don't think the Kilkenny team you mentioned changed the game. If anything Kilkenny made a virtue out of old fashioned values. I think Limerick are far more ground breaking. I don't think they are horrible to watch, just different.

As for "best ever", who cares? Limerick’s time is now and good luck to them.

Whatever about dominance in the future there is no doubt that Limerick should have won 2019 too. Would be four in a row this year with still a young team. Could have been worse than it'll become!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Lads there is alot of hype about this Limerick team in my opinion just like what was being said about Galway after winning 2017 All Ireland final. Tipperary destroyed Linerick in the first half of the All Ireland Quarter final. The Tipp team were too old and too many miles on the clock to sustain the intensity for the remainder of that game but its a sign that Limerick aren't invincible and have faults. Cork won't run out of steam like Tipp did. Waterford physiologically can't beat Limerick they fall apart eventhough they are much better than the result at the weekend. Yesterdays game will bring Cork on and give them loads of confidence like Clare got in 2013. They matched Kilkenny physically and also beat them for pace.

Once Cian Lynch is curtailed and Gillane is kept quiet, Everything is possible. Cork are always a different animal in an All Ireland final. We don't have 30 All Irelands for nothing. They won't be a puck of ball in this. Pressure is on Limerick to deliver back to back All Irelands and beat Cork again in championship will be tough. Watch out. Hoggie last attempt for All Ireland medal. They won't go down without a big fight. All games v Limerick bar 2021 have been very close between the two sides. I actually fancy Cork to win very like a 1990 style moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I would be shocked if Cork are within 10 points of limerick.

Yesterdays game was like a different sport compared to Saturday.

This was as much waterfords fault as limericks retreating so many back and congesting the play.

Will cork go 15 on 15 ?

Only difference between Limerick and Galway is that that was Galway's first win

And they struggled over Tipperary in the semi final. Limerick are using Tipperary as toilet paper.

Yes, there was hype about Galway's size at the time but there's where they comparison ends. It's hard to say that a team going for a third All Ireland in four years in in the realm of 'hype' if we take the word in its true meaning of exaggeration. If there's any 'hype' about the All Ireland finalists it's not to do with Limerick.

They won't be a puck of a ball in this. Sometimes when a team is being overhyped it can go against them. Cork won't be as bad as munster semi final. Yes Limerick may win but some people here saying Cork will be beaten by 10 points or more. When was the last time a Cork team in an All Ireland final was beaten by 10 points? That's not going to happen I be sure of it.

When was the last time Cork was in an All Ireland final ?

Some of this team have only played in one and some none at all. What Cork done in the All Ireland final in 19dickedy2 has no bearing on this year. I do agree they have improved a lot since the start of the year though

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

First of all, I would love to see Cork win. I’m a waterford man but I’m living in Cork 12 years, I’m married to a local woman and I’m involved in the club here for the last 7 years. Wanting Cork to win and expecting them to are very different things obviously. Yes Cork will come on for yesterday’s game but so will Limerick. Limerick are yet to turn in a full 70 minute performance this year but are still brushing teams away. Cork were excellent yesterday and their full back line completely dominated the game for 70 minutes yet Kilkenny still put up a huge score and on another day could have had a free to win it with the last puck of the ball.

Limerick won’t do what Kilkenny did yesterday, raining ball after ball down on a dominant full back line was suicidal by Eoin Murphy and the Kilkenny backs. Limerick play the ball through the lines and just blow teams away. Can Cork live with that? I don’t think they can. For years teams tried to match Kilkenny and were beaten every time they did it. It was only when Liam Sheedy decided Tipperary were going to play the game on their terms in 2010 that the tide changed.

Waterford abandoned the game plan that has served them well over the last year or so and tried a different approach on Saturday evening. Limerick took 15 or 20 minutes to come to terms with it and then just swatted Waterford aside. This Limerick team are very adaptable and it will be interesting to see how Kingston approaches the All Ireland final. I fully expect Limerick to win, I hope Cork do win it but it would be a huge upset let’s be honest here.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Limerick are 2/7 and have a 5 points handicap with the bookies. Even that seems kind to Cork in my opinion

History can have some impact. Just ask those teams that always come so close but yet so far

How many of them matter in regards to this Cork team.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Waterford scored 4-28 in their previous match against Tipp, could have made all the same arguments about them as you are about Cork. You are also a dreamer if you are calling Cork one of the "big 3", Cork havent been a presence in the game since Donal Og was playing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement