Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why do you want it to stop at 80 percent? Honestly I wouldn't bother with that unless you are charging daily

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

It's a good question. The view seems to be it's a good idea to charge 20-80% in order to max battery life unless you plan on using additional charge quickly. Very happy to be contradicted on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its what the manufacturers recommend and generally accepted as good practice and its shown directly to you in the charging screens so not just some BS on the internet.... its front and centre in the VW screens.

If you need the range then you can/should, of course, charge to 100%. The 80% recommendation is there to prolong the life of the battery knowing that most people do not drive beyond the range of modern EV's on a daily basis.

e.g. If you have a 60kWh EV that can do 400km's on a charge and you do less than 100km's per day then its no inconvenience to only charge it to 80%. The battery will last longer as a result. Charge it to 100% on the day when you actually need the 400km range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Vw audi put enough buffer in the battery imo

Unless you plan to hold it for 10 years I'd not bother.

Then again maybe if the Etron had more range I might :D

• Advertisement

The eTron is an exception. There is a "massive" buffer in the eTron which is why it charges so fast for so long. The majority of EV's dont have that big a buffer so different "rules" apply.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Does that apply to PHEV's?

I'd always charge mine to 100% , but then I'd also run it down to zero or very close most days as well - Charge to 100% overnight , but plug it back in the next night at sub 10% pretty much all the time.

technically yes. But it’s less of an issue there since you have the engine as backup and as a % PHEVs tend to have a larger buffer to allow full charge/discharge each day.

i.e. It’s designed to be used the way you are using it

presumably the manufacturer doesn’t recommend you charge to 80% so I’d say you’re good with the PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

I don't believe a home charger can know the state of charge on the car it's connected to. I believe it's a limitation on the communication between the car and the charger and it only communicates speed/power and not car battery %. That's the answer I got from zappi/ my energi. The charger can tell the amount of power it has given the car and charging rate, bit not how full car is. This somewhat limits the ability of any home charger app to limit the charging of a car to 80%. Note you should charge your car to 100% at least once a month and run car down to below 20% now and then as this helps balance cells and give a most accurate range on the guess o meter, as car learns real battery capacity only when cells go low and it knows they have reached a point where they won't give any more power. The battery management system learns the capacity of every cell, and protects them from going too low and overcharging and balances them at 100%

This somewhat limits the ability of any home charger app to limit the charging of a car to 80%.

You are right, the charge point doesnt know.

However, the question arose because the VW's have the ability to stop the charge at a percentage of your choosing. Not sure if he set it correctly or not, in the car, but that feature works fine for me on the ID.3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's no general charging rule anymore, years on and Leaf batteries DC charged for years versus home AC charged and little difference, MIC Tesla Model 3s advised to be plugged in to 100% every night

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

MIC Model 3 has different chemistry where 100% charging doesnt matter to it.

The batteries in the VW's do have a general rule. Its laid out in their documentation and on the charging screens where they recommend 80% charging as much as possible.

So, car/battery dependent I guess.

Post edited by KCross on

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Can someone tell me the esb meter requirements to be able to connect EV charger directly with the meter and not via the fuseboard.

The installer mentioned something about tail leads of the existing meter being short and a requirement to have a separate switch with newer meters which we don't have ...

I had electric Ireland come in for an installation but we decided not to go ahead as the cable would have been visible both inside and outside the house in any connection via the fuseboard .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Does anyone know anyone who got a management company to install them as a group scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

Tesla MIC SR+ uses LFP battery, which has a significantly longer battery life than the traditional NCA or NMC batteries.

Typically the LFP battery retains 80% of capacity after 4000-6000 full charges & discharges, while NCA/NMC battery only allows 1000-2000 charges.

Therefore, even if you use up and then full charge an LFP battery every single day for 10 years, it would still have a very good max capacity. In reality, average users won't do that kind of charges anyway, so the degradation on an LFP battery is virtually non-existent.

In addition, LFP batteries don't contain Cobalt. Extracting Cobalt is usually considered to have a bigger environmental impact than others in the process of manufacturing electric cars.

For the traditional NCA/NMC batteries, you need to pay a bit more attention to how often you charge it and how much you charge it to, as it may present visible degradation over the life of your car if you charge it too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

And for me with the VW ID.4, when using the Zappi. I set the charge limit on the ID.4 to 80%, or whatever the desired Charge level, and the Zappi works away until that limit is reached. It has been happily doing that since I got the ID.4 in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I'm trying to get an EO Mini Pro 2 installed. There seem to be a couple of problems with my house, namely:

1) Mains tails are not sufficiently thick

2) Meter is very old and only 40 amp.

I rang the ESB to be put on the priority list for a Smart Meter, which would solve problem 2. They can give me no sense of when I can expect the installation of the smart meter: could be a month, could be a year... Anyone have any experience with this?

The person at ESB did have one suggestion if I was pressed for time: apparently if you request a service change and want to have your meter moved to a different location on the property, they will do this and replace the old meter with a smart meter. But it costs €400+. Anyone done this?

I'm a bit pressed since the car is due to arrive in October. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Comer1

Would you be better off getting a day night meter which will have better night rate. Rather than contacting ESB directly, I contacted my current provider (Energia) regarding a day night meter install and they got me a date less than a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

Zappi installed today. I’m getting nervous now about the load balancing with the air source heat pump that does our home heating. If the heat pump is running on a cold night do I have potential to wake up to an uncharged car?

No, thats the whole point of the load sensing/balancing. It will ramp up/down as the heat pump comes on. It doesnt just turn on/off.

At night, its unlikely that your heat pump and car charger are max'ing out your house fuse anyway.

Do you know what rating your heat pump is and what size your main fuse is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nope I can’t recall but you have reassured me.

You're a legend, Comer1. This was great advice. Got on to Energia. Not only are they putting the new meter in next week, I can keep my 40% discount when they swap me over to day/night. The day rate is about 1 cent more per kWh than I'm paying now, but the night rate is about half that. So not only will I be getting the meter installed, I'll be saving money on the electricity itself especially once we get the car in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Eire885

Hi, Sorry if this has been answered already.

I've just bought a BMW 330e (PHEV). I've applied for SEAI grant for the charger.

I'm thinking of getting the EO Mini Pro 2 from Electric Ireland. Seems to be worth the difference over the basic one. I'm not an electric Ireland customer but that doesn't seem to make any difference. [Also don't have a night meter. Given it's not full electric I'm not too sure if night rate would make huge difference but I'd be happy to look into that].

My main concern is that they said they couldn't give a timeframe for install and I've heard could be a while. Does anyone know current delays?

My other concern is that they were the first place I seen when I googled and can't see much better options I might be missing something?

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

If your contract with Energia is finishing before the end of December, my advice would be to first cancel the meter install and new contract with Energia in the cooling off period. Call them again within a week of the end of your contract to request the day/night meter but without renewing your contract. They may tell you have to enter a new contract, you don't. This means you will be paying around 29c day and 15c night😲. Contact your dealer to pass your details onto Airtricity. They will contact you as a new customer with similar rates to Energia but with €675 credit to your account provided the car is registered between July and December.

Have a look here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058203066/switching-energy-supplier-and-to-a-day-night-meter#latest

Unfortunately, my contract ends in May of next year. But thanks.

It only costs €50 to break your contract. Certainly worth considering, it's a very good offer. I find switcher.ie very good to help with seeing if it's worth the hassle as long as you know what your usage in units is.

Hmm. That is definitely worth considering... I suppose the only question now is: will Airtricity install my day/night meter in a reasonable timeframe. I could, of course, let Energia install it and then break the contract, but that seems less than honourable.

• Advertisement

No honor among thieves or energy supply companies 😁.

I am getting the meter installed through my current provider (Energia). Be aware that Energia will tell that the only way they can get you the meter installed is to setup a new contract, this is absolutely not true. I am getting the meter installed next Monday and I'll be out of contract and paying their exorbitant rates while I wait to switch to Airtricity. My dealer has already passed my details onto Airtricity so I expect to hear from them by the end of the week and start the process of switching to them. It's a bit of a pain I know but while I was tempted to just stick with Energia for less hassle, €675 is not to be sneezed at either.

You can choose from any of the switch offers below, in addition to the €675. I will go for the 30% as we are a high usage household. 30% of Airtricity standard rates is barely more expensive than 40% off Energia's standard rates.

https://sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/switch-to-sse-airtricity/?utm_source=Paid_Search&utm_medium=Google_PPC&utm_campaign=Conversion&utm_content=Pure_Brand&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_KIBhA2EiwAaAAlij6hCR-Ab9h3eMMHW5gijwGsp6xso6yyWEaa7lwdtnojWLIsLlyEaxoCpUUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Advertisement