Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That reminds me…….

Mrs G! excelled herself again and made some excellent Profiteroles at the weekend. Her first time making choux pastry…..

399-BDB5-C-2-E9-F-49-C9-AA42-7-D9-B9-E779165.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

I came across my old Odlums recipe for choc chip cookies so made some this morning. They're not nearly as sweet and the Big Fat Choc Chip Cookies and have a lovely texture because of the oatmeal. There were more than this, we just got stuck in :)

hmm I can smell them from here.. yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

this weekend didn't feel like summer other than in my kitchen: made this mango-coconut mousse cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm slowly finding my feet baking for a diabetic: last week, I made German Quarktaschen. They're little pasties filled with a quark-custard mixture. Traditionally, the pastry would be a sweet puff pastry, but that's a lot of work to make. The recipe I found used a quark and baking soda dough, which worked rather beautifully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Soda bread with a sprinkling of Sunflower Seeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Finally got a new oven so tested out macarons last night.

These are a practice run for a wedding cake in September, need to work on getting a more vibrant true pink colour but other than that they were good!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Been a while but made a few Banoffe"s for a neighbours party. I used to be a chef (but I'm OK now 😁)

Perfected a recipe many years ago when head chef at a well know Dublin Bar / Restaurant and no, not made by boiling ghastly condensed milk. The mix requires, Real butter, Golden Syrup, evaporated milk and sugar. The mix ideal for muffins, Cake fillers, ice cream dishes and if stored correctly will last for months.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

And using the mix, fabulous Baileys & Banoffe cheesecake 😊

So got some Rhubarb off a close friend, frozen some by cutting into short strips and layered in sealed containers. Always tricky, freezing Rhubarb so will see how it's works.

In the mean time, made a Glazed Rhubarb Pie last night. I made some short crust pastry, left in fridge for a few hours.

Rhubarb, cut into even pieces, generous sprinkle of sugar and left sit in bowl for a few hours, occasionally mixing. The sugar dissolves with natural juices from Rhubarb and you'll get a wonderful sweet syrup. Before making pie, I strain the Rhubarb and put syrup into pot and with heat, reduce it right down until it almost caramelises. Allow to cool.

Now I mix cornflour with the Rhubarb, about 2 tablespoons to a medium size bowl of chopped Rhubarb, I also add 2 tablespoons brown sugar. WHY CORNFLOUR? it essentially helps soak up juices, reducing the chances of a soggy Tart, Pie can be a problem with Rhubarb crumble & Pies.

Roll out pastry, place the Rhubarb evenly around base,

Cap it off, cut a small opening at top of pie, egg wash and pop into pre heated oven.

When cooked, back to the syrup, heat a little and pour gently over the pie after removing from baking tray, allow to cool and served with a large dollop of cream 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

i dislike rhubarb v much but they are big fans of it at home - Dad use to grow it - neighbours use to come looking for some - Mum use to stew it - served with custard.. its too tart for me.. mind you, I don't mind it in tarts or crumbles when mixed with apple - sweetens it up a bit making it more palatable for me..

• Advertisement

It is one of those things you either love or hate and getting the right level of sweetness can be tricky. It can be quite a versatile ingredient and I've made compotes out of Rhubarb and have used it in Muffins, Sponges and sauces. I recall being almost forced fed stewed Rhubarb and custard as a child and the trauma of it put me off it for years 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

It is hard to get the sugar right with rhubarb, I love a really tart filling in a tart so I'm ok :)

But for those who don't I make a pastry base, fill it with creme patisserie and then put a layer of stewed rhubarb thickened with cornflour on top, this way you can make sure the rhubarb is at the sweetness level you want plus the thicker layer of custard underneath offsets it. On top then I sprinkle cooked crumble mix which I just make from the offcuts of the pastry while baking the pastry. It's just a fancy rhubarb and custard dessert but delicious.

So, it's been a while but baked a cake for a friends birthday, made a Victoria sponge, equal quanties of flour (self raising), caster sugar, Eggs.

The filling is cream and fresh strawberries (I also use frozen berries, sweetened, use the syrup moisten the sponge. I generally do 3 layers, but 2 would suffice.

Advance Presentation everything, so I toast, almonds, walnits in advance and make chocolate trelis"s in advance, using quality milk chocolate, slowly melted in glass bowl over simmering water, avoiding any moisture. Piping tricky, but I use those triangular radish bags or small disposal plastic piping bags.

You can also use these bags to do writing on your cakes, name, happy birthday etc

These decorations can be frozen in sealed containers. Using firm leaves (bayleaf) and artists brush you can make chocolate leaves also, peel leaf away when set.

I agreed to make my brothers wedding cake next month so I needed to do a dry run this weekend to test my timings and how to see how many slices I’d get etc.

It turned out so well, I’m delighted! Next month it will have a second tier, the bottom will be chocolate biscuit cake and then I’ll do this one again. This is a light vanilla sponge with raspberry jam and Italian meringue buttercream. The macarons are vanilla shells and then some are filled with a dark chocolate ganache, others with a lemon curd and the rest with a whipped salted caramel.

I painted the top edge with a mix of various edible gold lustre dusts and then the decor or the sides is an edible gold foil. Just fresh flowers on top, with their stems wrapped to try keep them fresh and to stop any flower juices leeching in to the sponge of course!

I have no idea how to use boards anymore and can neither rotate these photos or delete them from my post unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

It looks lovely, if using flowers and sticking them into the case it's best to use posy picks (from cake decorating suppliers) even if the stems are wrapped.

Also the 'cake police' go mad on the cake pages if they see baby's breath on a cake, apparently it is highly toxic, to be honest I use it and just ensure it's not in contact with the cake, obviously it shouldn't be eaten! I have done my own research on it and while it can be an irritant to breathing it can't be very common considering how much of it there is in bouquets and table decorations plus the florists working with it! The highly toxic part seems to be if ingested and dogs for example would be at risk if they ate a load of it, hopefully wedding guests can be trusted not to chow down on a bunch of flowers!

Thanks! I have posy picks ordered just haven’t arrived in time.

Any other alternatives to baby’s breath that you’d recommend? It was just sat on top to fill out some space, I wasn’t sure about it so didnt want to insert it in to the sponge and buttercream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Wow 😍 if that the ‘practise cake’ it will be fab

Continuing my journey into sugar-free, diabetic friendly baking. We were watching re-runs of "Open All Hours" recently, and I took some inspiration from that and made a sugar-free Jamaican Ginger Cake.

What can I say? Mr Shen loved it - Arkwright might have been on to something there!

My absolute favourite, Jamaican Ginger Cake, looks lovely. I'm not diabetic but wonderful to see sugar free recipes look so good 😊

• Advertisement

Anyone for Cheesecake 🤔 I'm not a lover of the Baked varieties, a little to heavy, instead I prefer the attached unbaked type.

Fruit flavours a favourite, I use frozen & fresh type. I generally use fruit Jelly as a setting agent, mainly for additional flavor but Geletine leaves also good.

Made the attached for a (Small outdoor gathering) at the weekend. Also a Baileys and Banoffe one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

It's pretty much this : http://www.cakezero.co/refined-sugar-free-jamaican-ginger-cake/

I did leave out the nuts and the rice malt syrup, and added a tbsp of cacao powder for colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I do like the concept; but when I opened the page for cakes, there seemed to be just a few ... dare to ask, is this in general (based on your research from other sites) ? - cause I wonder if there is room for innovation in this space ... have you thought about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 figleaf25

I do bake fairly often because I'm vegan so obviously it's hard to find baked goods in store that are dairy free/egg free. I mostly stick to the basics (cupcakes/cookies/brownies) but I'd like to learn how to make cheesecake.

Sugar-free Victoria Sponge.

I'm actually quietly astonished how well this turned out. I was trying to go as healthy as possible, so I used fine wholemeal flour, home-made sugarless jam, sugarless quark cream filling... and the thing is bloody delicious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks delicious too Shenshen. When I used quark for the first time I was surprised by how good it is.

I have started using it whenever I make buttercream-type fillings. I really don't like buttercream, I usually find it cloying, fatty and oversweet. But by going half-buttercream half-quark, I get a nice firm consistency and a much lighter taste and feel.

Of course, there are tons of other quark-based recipes, and I love them all 😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Oat and yogurt bread with pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

White chocolate & cranberry cookies and some almond biscotti

Advertisement