Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I read a couple of weeks back we only have 200 ICU beds in Ireland, maths isn’t my forte but………..

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Surge capacity and use of private hospitals brought that to over 400 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The article said that 25% in hospital didn't have any symptoms of covid, the rest I obviously I made up as those figures are being kept secret for some reason, there is no reason why they should not be available,unless they are trying to hide something.

“They” are always up to no good. Sure don’t “they” love imposing restrictions on the population for know good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They had 350 -400 with private ICU beds and emergency beds in HDU at one stage .

Covid cases in ICU reached a high of just under 230 ( as far as I recall ) in January 21

Correction . I just found the figures and it was 216 Covid cases in ICU on January 31st 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Obviously there are good reasons for restrictions, just saying that there should be transparency with figures, tired of the scare tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Cases don't matter anywhere near as much as before.

People need to get that into their heads.

The constant hand wringing and hysteria over cases needs to stop.

Eh, no we have a totally dysfunctional health service in

spite of throwing millions at it.

Is Paul Reid the highest paid CEO of any health service regardless of size anywhere in the world.

This is the reason we are so slow removing restrictions, the same people now advising Government have spent decades in the health service.

So nothing whatsoever to do with culture etc, well maybe culture of making sure health service doesn’t work so people will pay health insurance and use private hospitals and consultants get rich(er).

I think you should ring the Scots, they are opening the gates to hell as we speak.

All restrictions being removed, are we weeks or months away from that.

And opening up as we head into the winter is insane, we should follow Boris lead and open up now,get as many young people as possible infected so they provide immunity for older people, it doesn’t matter who has dose one or two now, these are young people with strong immune systems, most don’t even know if they have had COVID or not.

Your conservatism and caution is unnecessary at this stage, the only thing we need to do is watch actual hospital admissions with COVID and not be counting people tested and diagnosed while in hospital with something else.

Liz how would you feel if half our population contracted Covid but a small percentage were hospitalised? Would that scare you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

At the rate we’re going we’ll have every willing adult in the country fully vaccinated by the end of this month, but we are only releasing a roadmap at the end of the month?

When was the 100% vaccinated approach chosen, and why weren’t the public made aware of this along with the advantages and disadvantages they thought there were compared to the approach everywhere else was taking? NPHET’s figures have proved comical thus far, I really want another laugh seeing their thought process behind this and the government actually agreeing to it, it’ll soon drive me to tears I presume.

I'm genuinely worried now about how quickly we’ll go from MM telling us COVID is history to “we’re completely fucked financially lads”.

The WHO, Mike Ryan and Gabriel Scally among others said the UKs numbers would go into orbit after Boris decided on freedom day.

Covid numbers in the UK have fallen dramatically so why can’t these “experts” admit they got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm curious - what are you envisioning as "a small percentage" here? As a number/approximate range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The UK's own advisers suggested cases would reach 100k and then 200k, they were wrong, unfortunately they were close to the predicted deaths of 100 a day.

I wouldn't say cases have fallen dramatically, they dropped by a half and appear to be creeping back up.

You read my posts and just interpreted entirely different words. I can't really defend something I didn't write. So, I think I'll just gloss over responding to those points, as I didn't suggest keeping the place locked down. I suggested not providing a false sense of security by giving political promises with fixed dates.

As for your proposal to, and if I paraphrase Johnson, 'let it wash through the population', I would suggest you might want to ask the population's consent first. I don't think many of us would appreciate being used as a mass infection experiment to see what happens. I would even suspect if that were done deliberately here i.e. a deliberate policy programme aimed at causing mass infection with COVID, it could well end up in tribunals and court cases.

There's been scant evidence, beyond a few theories, that naturally acquired herd immunity is even possible with this thing.

We are aiming for vaccinated herd immunity and we're very much on track for that.

Did they not predict 100,000 a day and the numbers have fallen to 25,000 a day now.

What is the equivalent of 100 deaths a day here.

We are going to have to accept a certain number of deaths unfortuneately, we do need to get normality back for young people and that’s the price to be paid, the herd must move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭brickster69

Vaccinated herd immunity, that's a new one 🤣🤣🤣

How can you have that if vaccinated people are giving it to vaccinated people.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's not a new one actually, it's been a concept for many, many years.

The concerning bit about this one is herd immunity either by vaccination or natural immunity may not be possible, certainly not in a matter of a 12-16 months of population exposure, due to the nature of the virus. We could be looking at quite a while with boosters and modified vaccines broadening and deepening immunity, and natural infections occurring in vaccinated people, before we achieve anything like herd immunity.

If the virus isn't stable, or if immunity isn't particularly good, it could be very much like our relationship with influenza. The only problem is that this one is much more infectious, which is creating a number of serious challenges that so far haven't been addressed.

Natural immunity through infection is absolutely not a silver bullet though and it's quite a high risk approach.

Flexibility and playing it by ear are essential at the moment it is impossible to accurately predict what's likely to happen, and a bunch of people on a forum theorising about idealised solutions isn't going to deliver them, nor will Tory or GOP political fantasies either.

We need to be opening, monitoring and opening some more and seeing how that goes and so on until we're out of this.

The vaccines should have made a huge difference, so fingers crossed the linkage between infections and hospitalisations is adequately broken by having some kind of large scale, vaccine induced immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What were hospital numbers before the last lockdown? Surely we're nearly there

I didn't see the models, but 100k was the estimate, I guess you could argue it's not 100k confirmed cases, but 100k infections a day, but I don't think their positivity rate went over 12%, so they wouldn't have missed that many cases.

100 deaths a day would be roughly 7 a day here.

It's not just about deaths, it's tying up the health service with covid patients. Last thing we need is more delays and more elective surgery cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Thanks for that Spiderman. Suppose I was just a bit concerned about medical underlying conditions, hence my caution. But it's good to know that caution isn't required. I have been concerned but who am I to argue with solid percentages like 95. That's a darn fine percentage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I’m sorry, but there’s some fooking horrible posters on this place! the same horrible posters that were saying a Vaccine wouldn’t be possible this time last year. I’m sure I’ll get a yellow card for my opinion… if the mods can actually navigate around the new site.

UK case numbers have been flat for a couple of weeks now, they're not "creeping back up". At all.

It may look level to you, to me it's creeping back up. I can't see how you can see it's been level for a couple of weeks. That's 14 days, right?

I think most would consider their last few weeks fairly steady.

Also I'm aware of how many days are in two weeks but thanks for the tip 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jaysus some people on here get real arsy passed midnight.

In January 21 hospital numbers were 1950 with 216 in Icu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

How many would be acceptable to you ? Is it too high at the moment ? Another lockdown ? Zero covid ? Its easy to tell a poster he is wrong and selfish etc without saying anything yourself .

The floor is yours .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, good luck funding those elective surgeries in the future if we keep on doing lockdowns and paying people to sit at home. At some point, you need to accept short term losses in order to protect yourself long term too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You seem to be missing the point of his proposal also, we will have finished vaccinating people soon, how is it an experiment after that? What's the alternative to opening when we have nobody left to vaccinate? We can't have indefinite restrictions, this is utterly nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At the time of the 3rd lockdown, we had 491 in hospital and 42 in ICU.

More important than raw numbers is the growth rate. At that date, hospital numbers were growing by 10-15% per day and ICU numbers about 15-20%, per day. ICU numbers had doubled in a week.

Right now, hospital numbers are growing by 3% per day and ICU numbers growing about 2% per day. It's growth, but it's not getting away from us.

That's the difference.

For the life of me I cant remember the 3rd lockdown date line !! I get me lockdowns mixed up at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was all pretty chaotic. We went at the start of December from "Things are open now, be safe", to, "OK, things are getting bad, be sensible please", to "OK, we're fucked, but you can all stay open until Xmas Day is over" then to, "OK, it's 27th December, Xmas is over and we're shutting everything down for at least two weeks".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget donegal was locked down from 24th sept 2020 (level 3) 15th october 2020 (level 4 +) .then swamped for 2 weeks before christmas. how did that work out ??

as far as i can see the lockdowns made sweet fa of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Looking at the data there's three times the daily cases there was around a month ago, hospital and ICU numbers are creeping up. It is too early to determine if numbers will continue to increase or whether we have reached a steady state.

Our healthcare system is best placed to identify the effect current rates of admission and discharge will have on their capacity taking all factors into account.

Similarly epidemiologists can factor infectivity of the different strains,% people vaccinated, rate of vaccination, effect of vaccination on hospitalisation rates and ICU rates, etc. to model the number of mild, moderate, severe cases etc.

It's not just hospitals that need to be considered. Third level, secondary, primary schools and pre schools are all opening . If there's an outbreak in a school that can effect parents ability to work.

I'd prefer to do something once and do it right than take one step forward and two steps backward, yo-yoing out and in of restrictions which would be more disruptive on society and business.

We've seen the effect a few weeks either way can have on the progress of the epidemic. If the experts advise a cautious approach I'd accept their advice. I wouldn't let my impatience overrule common sense for the sake of a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This looking back does nothing. We need to look at right now and going forward. Learn from the past obviously.

We'll eventually get past this but I certainly don't want to be responsible for somebody dying from covid and I don't want to be the one that gets seriously ill from it either.

We are all fed up of lockdowns, masks etc. but we've done pretty well here despite the many mistakes by our government like the skiers, Italian rugby fans, Cheltenham and last Christmas.

I look at people going to pubs now as lacking intelligence. I've partook in outdoor dining and enjoyed it but I see no need to go into a restaurant or pub with people who I don't know that could have been anywhere the day before and picked up a random variant.

I spent a couple of hours within five metres of a person who tested positive a few weeks ago, we were both wearing masks and didn't speak or contact each other. I had to get tested and was told I was a close contact but because I was vaccinated that I didn't have to self-isolate, just restrict my movements. I checked out other countries and their rules on this and they varied greatly.

We need a uniformed approach to these things throughout the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That’s the beauty of making one’s decision based on your own risk assessment, I’d love nothing more going to a packed pub for a match, I’m currently away in Spain typing this by the pool, completely unvaccinated.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospital numbers have risen 9 to 217, but still 31 in ICU.

You say you would rather do something once and do it right . So what way is that ? Please expand .

I dont think you understand . Things are as good as they are going to get now . You have to get on with things . Nothing is going away

"I look at people going to pubs now as lacking intelligence."

Disgraceful comment.

Hopefully the irony isn't lost on you 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you are so anxious as to be afraid of going into pubs or restaurants, then dont!

But just because you feel uncomfortable about it doesnt mean the whole country should bend over backwards and stop living their lives just to make you feel better - if you're at risk get vaccinated. After that just live your life - or stay indoors forever. But dont tell the rest of us how to live ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't understand you, why did you spend a couple of hours with someone yet you didn't talk or make contact with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And yet with your obvious abundance of intelligence, you still managed to end up as a close contact.

Well done you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

More and more people that I know are asking why we all got vaccinated if we still can't live our lives fully. This better be a damn good plan that the Government intends to produce. It's almost playing into the hands of anti-vaxxers, the way they are going on at present.

Where did I say indefinite restrictions?

I talked about responsiveness and flexibility and opening up.

Seems some people on this thread read whatever it is they want to see, rather than what is written on the screen.

If you want to respond to a perhaps read it first, rather than just soap boxing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement