Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

People could reverse and there was no difficulty, oncoming cars could drive around the reversing car as there was room. There was room for the reverser to go further across the road, straighten up and then reverse in.

Now you have half the space, you have cara coming both directions at you and could could have thirty seconds to drive across the road, straighten up, hope no one is walking behind you and then get the hell out of danger, all in all very stressful and im not surprised someone damaged their car.

Its no reflection on this persons driving ability, their lives have been made difficult and better a damaged car than being hit by oncoming traffic.

There are going to be so many accidents on this road once traffic volumes resume, such a shame as it was a perfectly safe road to cycle on and the parking that was removed was useful for the Athletics club, older people walking their dogs, families with children using the playground etc. We lost the bottle bank too, and for what, a 900 metre cycle lane running alongside a park, a cycle lane that ends at a busy junction and onto a very busy narrow local road.

The Carysfort cycling lane hasn’t improved cycling for anyone living on the East side of the road, it’s made what used to be a nice cycle from the village a pain in the ass.

Plans for improving cycling would be free and better public transport, cycling is a minority pursuit, mostly middle aged men who can’t afford golf club subscription. You won’t get most people out of cars if the alternative is cycling so get them out of cars and onto public transport equals less cars on the road.

The anti car agenda is being driven by some local authority officials, their latest plan is to turn Stillorgan Park into a traffic jam and all the while existing cycle lanes are left in a terrible condition, really unfit for purpose as can be seen when driving on the N11.At least there are bike signs painted on the paths on the N11, in many spots there is nowhere for pedestrians to walk at all and there are way more walkers than cyclists.

Does pedestrianising bring more business, I mean apart from more take out coffee. Blackrock village was made one way and from what I can see it’s people sitting outside eating unhealthy food on street furniture that doesn’t look very clean. The shops don’t look any busier to me.

Well, no, if you are turning wide into a park and into traffic exiting I don’t think that’s making anything safer.

I know these ideas probably look great on paper but actually bringing a kerb too far forward means cars are crossing the white line as they turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I said slower, are the tighter angles not making you turn slower? You say cars are crossing the white line, are you crossing the white line on these turns in your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

cycling is a minority pursuit, mostly middle aged men who can’t afford golf club subscription.

That's not the people I see on the road when I'm cycling.

• Advertisement

I don’t drive into this estate.

There isn’t room to turn because the kerb of the cycle lane is too far forward, cars can’t turn in safely the way they did since the houses were built, similar to the way I can’t cycle to my house the safe way I did for twenty five years and more.And cars can’t exit safely either as they have to come too far out beyond the cycle lane when exiting to get a clear view of oncoming traffic.

There will be so many accidents when traffic volumes return.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's also a great reason for providing safe cycling facilities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is a world of things being done wrong described in this post, oddly, you don't seem to realise who is the person doing things incorrectly. Are you sure you drive anywhere, and if you do, are you sure you should if you cannot correctly identify the issue in the scenarios you have described.

Sorry, it’s a bit late now to make sense of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

So you haven’t driven this corner yourself, but yet you know for sure that it’s not built correctly to allow a safe turn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Come further out? If there's no obstruction between the old stop lane and vehicular lanes blocking any view of the traffic. If anything it should be easier to see any traffic that may be coming, especially as the cycle lane is empty as you say?

So there are cyclists using it? And that's why cars can't see, or there are no cyclists using it as you keep claiming elsewhere and you're again making stuff up

This is a spectacular game of mental gymnastics going on here to come up with arguments against

On another thread you seem to be perfectly aware of plans that were announced for the area and surrounds, and you seem to have the ear of local councillors so I just don't buy your surprise here either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty much every single problem you have brought up is ultimately the fault of impatient and unsafe drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I honestly don’t believe that you do cycle. You haven’t given a hint of knowing about cycling the road you have been harping on about. A poster provided photos that contradict how you describe the cycle track. You have contradicted yourself at other times. Everything is from a motorists viewpoint. Even someone like me who cycles an odd time would present arguments very differently. I’d say you are just a disgruntled motorist who can’t drive as fast as you once could on that road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

We've already had one mod warning about the standard of debate on this thread. Any more insults and sanctions will be issued.

Thanks

I can see the turn in had been made dangerous because cars have to come around a kerb, i dont need to drive in to see it, the pedantry here is unreal and its just all an attempt to dismiss negativity caused by this cycle lane.

This is a busy junction and in a line of moving traffic you indicate and you turn, you have traffic exiting, you have oncoming traffic, you have residents ipposite the park indicating to pull in and out, you have cars turning into Avondale and exiting out of it, you have cyclists coming both ways including three year olds on scooters whose minders have let them scoot on ahead, utter stupidity.

And then you have pedestrians and schoolchildren on bikes crossing from a path inside the park gate while you have huge jeeps with not enough room to turn in.

You can moan about SUVs and landrovers all you like, people can spend their money on whatever they like and making turns into a park more difficult for them puts other road users in harms way.

There is so much going on and I dont know what normal traffic and winter is going to bring.

Can you point out where I contradicted myself, I dont believe I have.

Are you teferring to Andrews photos of an empty road on a wet sunday morning.

or his photos of junctions which isnt dealing with the issue if your house isnt near a junction and you have to get out of a cycle lane and cross two lines of busy traffic to get to it.

Previously and for decades you simply cycled up the road and into your garden

And please dont accuse me of not being a cyclist, I know its difficult for you to accept other people point of view but not everyone who participates here is going to nod along with you.

Is 'cars having to come round the kerb' an unusual scenario for you? Cars come round kerbs pretty much all the time, pretty much at every junction. It's honestly not that difficult, as you well know.

Your main concern is clearly that this traffic calming measure has calmed traffic. Drivers have to slow down a bit, and take a bit more care on the road. And that has obviously got up your nose for some reason.

I did that test of cycling up Carysfort on the road yesterday. Seven overtakes, not one beep, not one road rage incident, no Mad Max style attacks from the good burghers of Blackrock surprisingly enough.

This next lady gave a slightly pointed look in my direction, but no beeping, no road rage attacks.

Best overtake of the stretch was by a taxi driver, ironically enough, giving me loads of room.

Silliest overtake of the stretch was from the dickhead in the Volvo, who overtook with about 5m of space ahead before hitting the queue of backed up cars, leading to my inevitable filtering past on the inside.

Do you think you might have over-egged the 'road rage' scenario of cyclists being driven off the road just a tad?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I also notice from those photos, car driving in opposing directions without issue. Funny that.

Its a wet sunday morning, he does it once, I do it at least four times a week and at all times of the day.

I could equally put a camera on my bike and show cars coming too close and beeping, they would clearly go around me if they could but cant because of oncoming traffic.

Some of the locals have replaced double glazed windows with triple glazing because of heavy traffic, its difficult sometimes to talk with the noise and then Andrew posts a pic of an empty road and you say I am making things up.

Andrew has no clue of what its like to live anywhere on Carysfort Avenue, not an inkling.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

So you want rid of the cycle lane because of your single scenario where you want to get out of the cycle lane in the middle of the stretch to cross the road into your house. Your cycle is over, get off the bike and walk it across the road.

And every other point is the fault of aggressive drivers.

• Advertisement

One of the seven vehicles that overtook me was a bit pushy, causing one oncoming vehicle to hold back a bit. Others timed their overtakes correctly.

Please do set up your camera. I'd really love to see those Carysfort Avenue road rage incidents you mention.

And lift the bike over the kerb into two lanes of fast oncoming traffic, hmmm, I dont fancy my chances so no thanks.

There are houses all along that route opposite that cycle lane and you want residents to get out of their cars and onto bikes.

Your solution is to tell them to stop in the middle of a two way cycle lane, climb over a kerb and run across a busy road with a bike.

Im laughing here at your logic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

If you've an issue with someone else's posts, use the Flag button to report them to the mods. Do not complain about them on thread.

Thanks

Again, you seem absolutely determined to over-complicate things. It wouldn't be hard to cycle along the road in either direction to the next junction and join the cycle lane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Contradiction: Schrondinger's cars. Both reversing and not reversing at the same time.

My beliefs can only be built on what you have said in this thread, and they have not changed since I made my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,162 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How do you normally stop your bike if you are dismounting?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some of the locals have replaced double glazed windows with triple glazing because of heavy traffic, its difficult sometimes to talk with the noise and then Andrew posts a pic of an empty road and you say I am making things up.

Andrew has no clue of what its like to live anywhere on Carysfort Avenue, not an inkling.

So presumably you would be in favour of closing Carysfort Ave to vehicular traffic given that yet again, you're telling us that they are the source of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

No different to crossing any busy road.

I don't get the drama here.

• Advertisement

The point is there would be no need to dismount if you could cycle with traffic towards your house, most people lucky enough not to have pointless two way cycle lanes opposite their houses can do this.

Im really hoping I will be able to cycle in peace again without cars blaring horns at me. The sooner the cycling lane is removed the better, hopefully before traffic increases in volume

Advertisement