Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Fils wrote: »
    Yea chicken thigh is either love or hate relationship. I had a look in SuperValu this morning for chicken fillet burgers but nothing there. Was hoping Aldi would come up trumps. Bbq tomorrow and have one fussy eater.

I know it's too late to respond but I've been really enjoying the chicken Thigh fillets on the BBQ from Aldi recently. What I like about them is they are a fairly uniform thickness across the whole piece of meat if you unroll it, so it doesn't need to be malleted like you might need to do with a breast to ensure it cooks evenly.

I cover them with a rub a few hours before hand and they turn out lovely. We usually have it as a burger, but its nice on its own either.

The rub I use:
    • 1 Cup light brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons of chilli powder
    • 2 tablespoons of ground mustered seeds (original recipe just says mustart powder)
    • 2 Tablespoons of Onion Salt (original calls fo poweder, don't see that available here)
    • 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
    • 2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon of salt
    • 2 tablespoons of ground pepper
    • 1 tablespoon of paprika

It is a little spicy, I would probably rate medium spicy, so maybe half the cayenne and chilli if you prefer it milder

Cook on the indirect\cool side for a little bit and finish them off on the direct heat then.

I'm pretty sure they are fattier than they were the first time I got them, but I just trim some of the excess fat off them. I might try the boned ones next time as they are cheaper and if I am trimming stuff anyways maybe the bone isnt a big deal to extract.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

54and56 wrote: »
    Don't know if my taste buds are off due to not getting my annual fill of moules mariniere in France last year as our annual campsite type holiday was Covid cancelled but these mussels in a white wine sauce are absolutely delicious.

2 X packs into a covered pot on medium for 6 minutes stirring half way through produces lovely soft (not rubbery) mussels and the broth is equally delicious.

Paired with some nice sourdough bread and you have a top notch main course portion for €5 or so and ready in 6 minutes.

Couldn't be easier or better.

Not such a big fan of the garlic butter version. I do love garlic but for some reason I think their recipe is too buttery and too garlicky which may be anathema to some.

Hg0nG3O.jpg

Had a packet of these for lunch earlier, they are indeed very nice. They are small enough mussels but I wasnt expecting giant mussels for just 2.49 anyway. The white wine broth was nice mopped up with bread and butter. Id buy them again, I dont thnk Id try the garlic ones as I think garlic is too strong a flavour to match with delicate mussels, it tends to over power the seafood flavour. But the white wine broth ones were decent. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tried the new 6oz 5% fat Angus burgers - a lovely thick massive burger but a lack of seasoning for me.

A low fat burger is never going to compete with a higher fat one but the seasoning could have made it a winner imo. Good but could be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I spent far longer than advisable staring at the choc/sweet aisle display in Aldi this evening (the perils of shopping while hungry), and came away with a pack of Dominion jelly beans - and I have to say, they're absolutely gorgeous! Really intense flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

54and56 wrote: »
    Same. I think direct heat from below imparts a nice crust on the bottom of the pizza.

As an aside I think the 300g portion when only being stretched to fit in a pan results in a base which is a bit thicker / doughier than I typically like so will try making 3 X 200g thinner bases out of 2 packs and see if that works.

If it does it'll be a nicer base, lower calories and I'll save some €'s ;)

Quick update on this.

Tried splitting the 300g dough in two and made two very thin pizzas.

They were a little smaller than the "normal" version so no doughy crust all around the edge but just as tasty and nice and crispy.

I'd say 2 packs split into 3 X 200g bases would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The salt n vinegar stackers, they changed a few weeks, thought they were way nicer can only compare them to spar sour creme and onion Pringles but obviously s & v flavor but they have now changed them back and I think they are not as nice. The other ones were addictive. The old ones for a while had the lid pushed inside a bit but the ones now have the lid fully on top over whole tub. Hopefully I’ll come across some old tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I normally make all my curry from scratch, they're usually tomato based, with ginger, garlic, chilli etc.

However, the specially selected korma cooking sauce/spices are absolutely delicious. Easily prepared by simply frying your chicken with the spices, then cover with the jar of sauce and let it bubble away.

Very very good substitute for a takeaway, and extremely acceptable product to serve up for visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

McMurphy wrote: »
    I normally make all my curry from scratch, they're usually tomato based, with ginger, garlic, chilli etc.

However, the specially selected korma cooking sauce/spices are absolutely delicious. Easily prepared by simply frying your chicken with the spices, then cover with the jar of sauce and let it bubble away.

Very very good substitute for a takeaway, and extremely acceptable product to serve up for visitors.

Ya very tasty, I go even lazier and dump it all into the slow cooker. I did a lamb rogan josh last week, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

Q whats the best brand of Tea in ALDI? Something like Lyons (i'm talking about black tea here) - TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Best tea in Aldi is Barry's. None of your Lyons carp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

McGrath's tea in Aldi is good.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

Is Mrs Doyle's Tea still in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Are the Saturday pizzas gone? My store was revamped a few weeks ago and I haven't seen them since but I wasn't sure if that was just timing. I really liked them the odd time so it's a shame if they're gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

none at my nearest Aldi as well - asked - was told that they might come back again in winter, but I wasn't sure he was entirely convinced about that piece of information :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sweeno69

The FibreNow brownies seem to be gone aswell.

Has anyone seen these recently?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/fibre-now-chocolate-fudge-brownies/p/019478336871200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Their Red Thunder version of Red Bull has disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Gone from my local for about 2 weeks now 😭😭😭

Picked up a 3 pack of kiwis at the weekend, pretty sure they were specially selected range, but not 100%

Decided on a whim just to have one this evening after a run/shower as I wanted something sweet, and honestly lads, these things are absolutely savage. The flesh is soft, sweet and really, really juicy, without doubt the best kiwi fruit I've ever had.

Will definitely be dropping into an aldi tomorrow for a few more packs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Probably the golden kiwis. They are much nicer than the regular ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I always thought I didn't like kiwis until I ate one in New Zealand. It turns out properly ripened, locally grown kiwis are the business. I'll check out the Aldi ones and see what they're like.

Yeah, think you're on the money there, here's the last one, they're Sungold from New Zealand.

These are the biz!

Post edited by McMurphy on

Probably these kiwis in the current Super 6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saturday pizzas gone from my local too

get the strong feeling they didn’t sell great. Any time I passed that aisle there was always almost an overflow of sat pizza stock in the freezer :/

ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Shame if they are gone for good, they were nice but a bit pricey I guess when compared to the other frozen ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My Aldi has been generally really poorly stocked for weeks now. No flavoured sparking water, no free-range chicken, no chicken wings, none of the specially selected tortilla chips (which we are addicted to!), loads of cheeses missing. Is it just my store? I've gone in on different days and times so I'm not coming in right before a delivery or something. Everytime I go in, I end up having to go to another shop on the way home to pick up things that I couldn't get, it's getting annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

The coconut icecream mochi are expensive but delicious!

• Advertisement

Celebrations/Quality street tubs landed in my local Aldi!

Advertisement