Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"It's about common sense" say people who side with those that refuse vaccinations or mask-wearing because muh freedoms or think the RNLI should let migrants drown in the channel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is quite possibly the most "disconnected from reality" post that you've made in this thread and that is really saying something.

Other posters have already made the points quite eloquently , but there is absolutely nowhere on the planet where "Conservatives" have a popular majority on foot of free, fair and open Elections.

In the US & UK , the "Conservative" parties haven't been close to a popular majority in 25 years plus and only manage to squeak through elections as a result of deeply undemocratic electoral systems.

Any other "conservative" governments are there only because their elections are rigged out of all recognition.

I put "Conservative" in quotes here because none of those currently claiming to be "conservative" actually are.

Without exception they are kleptocrats and/or authoritarian thugs who hold no political ideals of any kind . Their only interest is self-interest , how much can they steal for themselves and their cronies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm wondering if this is the same "common sense conservatism" that gave us climate change denial, vaccine cynicism, covid denialism, anti-maskers, a cult around the untrammeled right to gun down children, the greatest chasm of inequality we've ever seen, the worst nadir in race relations for decades, Brexit, injecting bleach to cure covid, never questioning bigots if they're the "right people", sleaze, corruption and now, Nazis again somehow.

I tried to think of a leading Conservative thinker there and the best I could do was feckin' cow-devouring, lobster-obsessed Jordan Peterson who was being treated for painkiller addiction last time I checked.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, you could claim the right are "winning" if you count the broadly right-of-centre makeup of many of the ruling parties across Europe; but then you can be fiscally right of centre while espousing broadly liberal social agendas - as we have arguably seen with our own Fine Gael government: a cabinet that stood over the introduction of same-sex marriage & abortion services ... but you'd have to be either naive or a Bad Faith actor to claim Varadkar's leanings were fiscally or structurally liberal.

And that's before you even factor in the plain reality that what counts as "liberal" in the US - is broadly centrist to left-leaning in the EU - and nowhere near as outrageous.

Common Sense Conservatism doesn't care for cultural hills to die on - claiming otherwise is daft, and "common sense" by its nature would be pragmatic on these issues anyway - as said, see Fine Gael. What GB News is trying to do is adopt the position of American politics in its tribalisation of every possible social issue - including what should be a unifying item in a bleedin' pandemic. And as the statistics clearly show, this isn't working - even in a country whose own political culture was already more aligned with the US to begin with.

Lets not forget we had our own resident bootlicker who was lionising people who think gay folks should be electrocuted, even though they themselves are gay. Cognitive dissonance just doesn't do that kind of mindframe any justice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think that you could count right-of-centre entities like Fine Gael though.

You might remember years ago much talk about the alt-right which suddenly stopped because it devoured the GOP in the US. Ethnocultural nationalism is the order of today for conservatives and anyone to the left of this mark is derided as being either of the establishment, far left or both.

As I get older, I become more and more convinced that fiscal conservatism is a myth used to justify gutting the state while giving massive handouts to friends of the governing elite. In both the UK and the US, national debts have ballooned while the alleged parties of fiscal responsibility have been at the helm.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I didn't lionise anyone.

I merely made the argument that I don't care if someone holds that view. It's not legal, and I don't support it. If an old person wants to believe in electrocution as a gay cure, that's fine by me. Opinions shouldn't stress out anyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I was being a little facetious, with the intent on highlighting that as broad trends go, we already have fairly right-wing power structures - the point then to also highlight just how disingenuous the claims of "common sense conservatism" are, when we already have that common sense to a degree. It's just when the mask slips it's really about adding a facade of legitimacy to brazen 'phobias and prejudice.

I didn't think I'd hit my 40s and still be the raging liberal, left-wing type that I was in my youth; but trends across recent years, our increased indulgence of corporations has hardened my resolve, not weakened it. As you say, a lot of conservatism now acts as a mask to gut the Social Democratic norms we took for granted, all in the false narrative of "cutting waste", or the myth of privatised efficiency (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the UK's train service has been a disaster because of privatisation?). The latest poison of course being the obscene idea that our own ability to make a stable wage has become commodified - gamified really - through the obnoxiously titled "gig economy". And with a globalised workforce, the ability to unionise as a response has now evaporated too; 'cos a corporation only then needs to move its department to Malaysia or wherever.

Sorry, that's getting way off topic but, argh. Eat the rich TBH.

I think the worn out quote from Winston Churchill had an unspoken caveat, ie that the catalyst of starting to vote conservatively as one ages was being linked into the system by purchasing a home, having children and making a comfortable living. If those avenues are blocked off then the change does not happen for many people as there's no incentive to vote to conserve a broken system designed to funnel wealth into the hands of ever fewer people so they can embark on ever more absurd phallus-measuring competitions.

Train privatisation has been a national disaster alright. Some of the highest fares in Europe and bugger all to show for it. Every year, they add a few percent to the prices of season tickets so any gains one might make from living outside the city are negated and then some by increased commuting time and loss of cash. East Coast was public for a while and did quite well as it happens. That's some time ago now. I don't know what the state of it is now.

I read in Tim Shipman's second book (Fall Out) that in 2015, the median age at which one becomes more likely to vote Conservative than Labour was 33. In 2017, it was 49. If I were CEO of a massive tech firm, I couldn't be happier that this culture war BS was and is distracting people from asking why so much wealth is hoarded unjustifiably. The problem with ripping up the social contract is that people no longer have an incentive to care about the system. A few decades ago, I think a group like Black Lives Matter would have been condemned but conservatives helpfully did more to boost their support by their narrow venality than the most eloquent activist ever could.

• Advertisement

Left-wing politics is the politics of envy; taking money from those who work far harder, and better, than themselves.

Easier to take the money through government action than to actually work hard in life.

I used to lean to the left, when I didn't have much money. Then I worked hard and realized how lazy I was; and laziness and being on the left are hand in glove.

This isn't true though. You have people just doing nothing while their money makes money. Landlords are a prime example. Nothing more than economic parasites who make several times the living wage without lifting a finger.

I have my own business and don't have to lift a finger; perhaps an hour a day if I really want to. I earn a substantial 6-figure sum.

Whilst I may not work hard now, I certainly worked hard to get to where I am. Many landlords do not wake up with houses in possession. Many actually have worked hard for many years, perhaps decades, to get to where they are.

Ah, thus the truth reveals itself. Fúck you, I got mine eh? At least you're open about it. I live quite comfortably TBH; to an extent that I won't go into, 'cos it'll just sound like humblebragging about my good fortune to work in a high-paying field. But I would happily pay a higher tax rate if it meant it went into more social services for both myself and others. Left Wing politics are not about being lazy, or envious and TBH if that's your starting position, the well for discussion is already truly poisoned by your own bias. It's about everyone having fair and equitable treatment, without encouraging "laziness".

And plenty of people work hard and have nothing to show for it - that's literally the problem with the wealth inequality issue we have today. And my own problem with corporations today, the system is inherently rigged against the hard working. Do you think people working in the Amazon storehouses are lazy, or not hard working? Or anyone in the services industry in general?

Like I said, if you dismiss those who don't have your own personal good fortune, there's unlikely to be any commonality found. Not with such obvious Fúck you, I got mine. It just sounds bitter really.

What about those who don't though? Even if what you're saying here is true, there are no shortage of people who've never had to lift a finger for what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

This is such horse manure. I work hard but I want to live in a society that protects my rights as a worker and one that gives me a safety blanket to protect if I happen to fall on hard times. I want to live in a society that tries to raise the standard of living for everyone and not treat poverty as a moral failing. I'm not going to stop working hard because the society I live in tries to help the most vulnerable among us.

I find it morally repugnant that Jeff Bezos makes the median annual salary of an Amazon employee every 9 seconds and gets to have a space race with his other billionaire friends while close to 40 million people in America live in poverty.

• Advertisement

I take exception to the oft repeated phrase, "I'm a hard working person" etc.

I'm sorry to say that most people are not hard working at all. Most working people are lazy. They don't admit it, so instead they all agree with each other that they "work hard" each week. Most people who work in offices have a very casual relationship with work. Mundane mediocrity at best. Those in the service industry may work, but it's certainly not hard work.

There are some exceptions, of course. Junior doctors who work all hours of the day and night are hard workers, in my view.

But most people are casual with their work. So many breaks, then a lunch; then lazying around at home in the evening or getting pissed at the weekend.

So yes, this idea of the hard working average person is a myth. It's absolutely not true. Most people are ridiculously lazy.

It's worse than that. This edgy libertarian drivel is a direct insult to those on the frontline who've suffered disproportionately due to covid. They get paid the bare minimum for taking a disproportionate share of the risk only for people who've never done a proper day's work in their lives to denigrate them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nothing more to conservatism than bigotry and hoarding wealth. Nothing.

"There are some exceptions, of course. Junior doctors ...". And you, apparently. Right? You among this resting horde of layabouts and lazy-bones eh? You who works tirelessly while the rest idle? I'm amazed you managed to pull yourself (by the bootstraps no doubt) away from such infectious work-shy demographics as those you seem confident to dismiss en masse. No statistics needed apparently, only resignation the world isn't to your personal standard.

The hubris is almost impressive; while your comment that "... those in the service industry may work, but it's certainly not hard work" speaks for itself. I'd speculate if you have even worked a service job but sure who could prove otherwise? And my instinct to assume projection on your part would make me as reductive.

That you would deny or dismiss basic decent worker rights, because the prickling of your thumbs suggests others around you don't work as hard? Impressive levels of hubris. To say again, your attitude amounts to Fúck you, I've got mine.

Nothing hubristic about it.

Very few people are honest with themselves to admit they're actually not a hard worker. Working a 9-5 job doesn't make you a hard worker. Just because you do something doesn't make you a hard worker. Sitting at a desk the entire day with a gigantic 1-hour lunch break and 4 tea breaks does not make you a hard worker: irrespective of whether you are a secretary, accountant, architect, or lawyer. If you are all honest with yourselves, you'll probably admit that you actually could work harder. That most people you know have a casual relationship with work; it's just a mundane activity that they get through the day with. Nothing hard about it; it's just an inconvenience that keeps you from doing nothing (their preferred default position, just look at what they do at weekends).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The nonsensical, 'American Dream' type rantings of a middle class libertarian who thinks they're wealthy; petrified of the impoverished bloke taking a euro/dollar/pound off them so much that they ignore those who are actually wealthy going straight for the notes in their wallet.

I've never worked particularly hard in my life and done pretty well for myself through a mixture of luck, natural aptitude and geography. My father worked much harder than I ever did and didn't get a fraction of what I did....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The issue really is the disconnect between the politicians and those that follow them.

What can clearly be seen is that the politicians are almost exclusively charlatans who don't actually believe anything of what they are saying , but they have identified a cohort of easily manipulated , low information voters that are willing to buy into all of the above as part of some "rage against the machine" mentality.

Not one of these so called "conservative" leaders actually believes any of the tripe they spout but it gets them attention and it secures them a rabid support base.

It is a power grab, nothing more nothing less but thankfully it really only works in places with completely broken electoral systems like the US and the UK.

Lazy, baseless generalisations and the usual casuistry.

Perhaps you should divulge what sector of the economy you work / have worked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Easier to take money from Govt action? Sort of like how the Tories have been lining the pockets of their mates during the pandemic and Brexit.

Left wing/right wing bullshít aside...greed is part of human nature.

Unfortunately, some of us live in the UK but I do take your point. Adversarial politics, fomented by a broken electoral system has brought us here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Always chuckle when I hear that phrase the left being the "politics of envy." Way to casually dismiss compassion, empathy, the simple desire for fairness. My other favourite is one you see continually wheeled out, "the left, they just don't get business." LOL. Bankers bonuses up 50%, billionaires driving profits up on the back of misery and death, energy bills being hiked up 13%, nhs workers being offered a 3% wage increase while inflation is set to go up 4% and privateers continue to make bigger profits off it. Why would anybody actually "get" this? It makes not a frickin iota of sense, practically or morally.

Are you a hard worker? You feel confident enough to dismiss and condemn the working demographics of Ireland for having the temerity to work in an office. You sound like that Monty Python Yorkshireman sketch TBH. And you're also moved on to dismissing people's recreational time too? Yes dear eskimo, it's hubris to presume to know the minds and activities of whole peoples for the purposes of your personal political motivations and biases.

It also feels curious to be this reductive while posting on Boards, during the daytime. I guess you're not busy? I mean, I'm not. I'll pay for this idle chatter by crunching later in the day but that's my poor time management, not an issue of workload or workshy'ness.

Or maybe it is just projection. You should get back to work though, wouldn't want people to think you're lazy.

Haven't I already admitted, perhaps ten posts ago, that I'm not currently a hard worker at all.

The difference is that I'm willing to admit it, yet most others in the workforce have too much pride to admit the same; instead, they all agree with each other they're hard working people. And I haven't even begun to mention standards and discipline. Low standards permeate the general workforce.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I must tell my left leaning father, who has worked since 16, once worked 96 hours straight, always make sure his bills are paid and scraped everything to pay off a mortgage, who in his 60s is back working nights, and worked all through every lockdown excepting maybe 4 weeks, because of how the system treats certain types of works be the skilled or not, educated or not.

Him, I must tell, that he does not work hard enough.

You've absolutely no concept of reality

• Advertisement

I would say that, at a guess, perhaps 10-15% of the population would fall into my definition of hard working.

The rest of the population are mild to moderate workers.

4% of the population are permanently non-workers who are parasitically married to the social welfare system.

I'm not referring to your father or his equivalent. I'm referring to certain types of position - an example of which is a black skirt / white blouse-wearing human resource manager (most of whom are called Linda).

I don't follow your posts religiously but thank you for confirming then; so because you have a bad work ethic you presume the rest of us do? You can't even perceive the logical fallacy at play here? It's fairly cut and dry. Maybe fix your own problem instead of condemning a nations workforce to paper your own inadequacies. People work hard, and the wealth inequality gap is real.

Any evidence for this at all? Any reason whatsoever to take this sneering derision or working people seriously?

You were happy to pretend that a poster had a go at Brexit voters so that you could pretend he was a racist and now you're peddling this guff? The hypocrisy. Funny how conservatives inevitably turn on working people when they run out of "others" to demonise.

Not at all.

I have worked very hard in the past, all hours of the week and night, to grow my company. I know and recognize hard work when I see it. Whilst I am not hard working now, I was in the past.

And I know that most workers are lazy and try to do the bare minimum, often with very low standards, motivation, and discipline. They don't even want to be doing the work, let alone work hard at doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of course you did.

How much of a dig out did Mammy and Daddy give you while you "worked hard"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I still find it astounding that no matter what direction the topic takes , sexual orientation, entrepreneurship, religion, home ownership yada yada. Some posters seem to have literal direct experience of any of the topic at hand. Immediately. And offer a swift counterpoint to construct their own new arguments.

Forgive me if I'm a little more than cynical that any of it is more than a immediate mental construct made out of nothing more than baseless imagination.

Perhaps a career in fiction to the page would be wise

That you can't even perceive the obvious flaws of your heavy generalisations, TBH is bewildering. Your word is not gospel, your experience not an absolute. Here's one back at you, though I doubt you'd entertain it; maybe you had poor workers because you're a bad manager, or you paid poor wages. Maybe the rest of the world wasn't the problem.

Nothing at all.

In fact, if anything, they would fall into the laziest possible category.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

So which of the mouthpieces on GB News are, in your opinion, hard workers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Congratulations on working hard and building up your company and now, it seems, sitting back and enjoying the spoils of your success. Shame it does sound like you don't have a very high opinion of those who contributed to your current comfortable lifestyle. I hope you treat them well anyway, offer them some incentives to keep them motivated and happy to maintain your current luxury filled lifestyle which appears to involve a considerable amount of time posting random figures on a discussion board.

Not at all.

Most people are lazy is always the default position for me. Those who work / have worked for me were originally lazy and I helped mould them into a much more efficient, disciplined system that delivered the kind of results I wanted. Some would say I am / have been extremely harsh in my approach, but it worked in the end, and it helped improve them as workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That'd be a first for someone with your rhetoric.

95% of them get the family business/wealth handed to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yep, sorry. With each new post I don't buy any of it . It's just baseless hubris .

I feel like anyone with that kind of wealth would have much better things to do than convince random people on a message board that people are lazy. They'd probably be able to construct more specific and reasoned arguments instead of regurgitating the back of Britannia Unchained.

• Advertisement

You clearly don't know how the tax system works here. At a certain level, even if a company generates 6-figures annually, up to 48 percent is collectively siphoned off in tax should those funds be taken out of the company. That's a total scam, in my opinion. All in the name of a "progressive" tax system. And I don't see why I shouldn't use boards? I'm quite young, not some retired old man.

GB News now at 206,000 YouTube subscribers. Growing nicely; at this rate, it may reach 500,000 by October/November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Sorry, I don't know much about TV but how do YouTube subscriptions help a TV channel? Surely the TV channel would make money from selling its TV advertising and people watching clips of it's 'best bits' on YouTube would not encourage those same people to tune into that TV channel would it? Why do people keep mentioning YouTube numbers on this thread like it's a huge benefit to the FTA station, is there a known link between the two?

Also, if it joined YouTube on February 2021 and has 206,000 subscribers since then what metric is there to suggest that will more than double in the next 3 or 4 months? I would have thought that the rapid growth would happen early on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'The Left is lazy and just wants to take money from someone else.'

Says the lad bragging about not lifting a finger and earning a six figure sum. (if we can believe that, this is the internet, you can be whatever you want to be on it)

We see some characters on here, but you're right up there with the best of them. Every time I log on you've something posted that makes what you posted before seem intelligent by comparison.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement