Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, good luck funding those elective surgeries in the future if we keep on doing lockdowns and paying people to sit at home. At some point, you need to accept short term losses in order to protect yourself long term too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You seem to be missing the point of his proposal also, we will have finished vaccinating people soon, how is it an experiment after that? What's the alternative to opening when we have nobody left to vaccinate? We can't have indefinite restrictions, this is utterly nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At the time of the 3rd lockdown, we had 491 in hospital and 42 in ICU.

More important than raw numbers is the growth rate. At that date, hospital numbers were growing by 10-15% per day and ICU numbers about 15-20%, per day. ICU numbers had doubled in a week.

Right now, hospital numbers are growing by 3% per day and ICU numbers growing about 2% per day. It's growth, but it's not getting away from us.

That's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

For the life of me I cant remember the 3rd lockdown date line !! I get me lockdowns mixed up at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was all pretty chaotic. We went at the start of December from "Things are open now, be safe", to, "OK, things are getting bad, be sensible please", to "OK, we're fucked, but you can all stay open until Xmas Day is over" then to, "OK, it's 27th December, Xmas is over and we're shutting everything down for at least two weeks".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget donegal was locked down from 24th sept 2020 (level 3) 15th october 2020 (level 4 +) .then swamped for 2 weeks before christmas. how did that work out ??

as far as i can see the lockdowns made sweet fa of difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Looking at the data there's three times the daily cases there was around a month ago, hospital and ICU numbers are creeping up. It is too early to determine if numbers will continue to increase or whether we have reached a steady state.

Our healthcare system is best placed to identify the effect current rates of admission and discharge will have on their capacity taking all factors into account.

Similarly epidemiologists can factor infectivity of the different strains,% people vaccinated, rate of vaccination, effect of vaccination on hospitalisation rates and ICU rates, etc. to model the number of mild, moderate, severe cases etc.

It's not just hospitals that need to be considered. Third level, secondary, primary schools and pre schools are all opening . If there's an outbreak in a school that can effect parents ability to work.

I'd prefer to do something once and do it right than take one step forward and two steps backward, yo-yoing out and in of restrictions which would be more disruptive on society and business.

We've seen the effect a few weeks either way can have on the progress of the epidemic. If the experts advise a cautious approach I'd accept their advice. I wouldn't let my impatience overrule common sense for the sake of a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This looking back does nothing. We need to look at right now and going forward. Learn from the past obviously.

We'll eventually get past this but I certainly don't want to be responsible for somebody dying from covid and I don't want to be the one that gets seriously ill from it either.

We are all fed up of lockdowns, masks etc. but we've done pretty well here despite the many mistakes by our government like the skiers, Italian rugby fans, Cheltenham and last Christmas.

I look at people going to pubs now as lacking intelligence. I've partook in outdoor dining and enjoyed it but I see no need to go into a restaurant or pub with people who I don't know that could have been anywhere the day before and picked up a random variant.

I spent a couple of hours within five metres of a person who tested positive a few weeks ago, we were both wearing masks and didn't speak or contact each other. I had to get tested and was told I was a close contact but because I was vaccinated that I didn't have to self-isolate, just restrict my movements. I checked out other countries and their rules on this and they varied greatly.

We need a uniformed approach to these things throughout the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That’s the beauty of making one’s decision based on your own risk assessment, I’d love nothing more going to a packed pub for a match, I’m currently away in Spain typing this by the pool, completely unvaccinated.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospital numbers have risen 9 to 217, but still 31 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You say you would rather do something once and do it right . So what way is that ? Please expand .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I dont think you understand . Things are as good as they are going to get now . You have to get on with things . Nothing is going away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

"I look at people going to pubs now as lacking intelligence."

Disgraceful comment.

Hopefully the irony isn't lost on you 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you are so anxious as to be afraid of going into pubs or restaurants, then dont!

But just because you feel uncomfortable about it doesnt mean the whole country should bend over backwards and stop living their lives just to make you feel better - if you're at risk get vaccinated. After that just live your life - or stay indoors forever. But dont tell the rest of us how to live ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't understand you, why did you spend a couple of hours with someone yet you didn't talk or make contact with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And yet with your obvious abundance of intelligence, you still managed to end up as a close contact.

Well done you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

More and more people that I know are asking why we all got vaccinated if we still can't live our lives fully. This better be a damn good plan that the Government intends to produce. It's almost playing into the hands of anti-vaxxers, the way they are going on at present.

Where did I say indefinite restrictions?

I talked about responsiveness and flexibility and opening up.

Seems some people on this thread read whatever it is they want to see, rather than what is written on the screen.

If you want to respond to a perhaps read it first, rather than just soap boxing.

• Advertisement

In my post which you quoted I have said I'm vaccinated.

I'm not afraid if anything. I read from the best sources, the honest ones without agendas. They are telling me that it's not safe in bars and restaurants with strangers.

I'm just remaining careful. I walk down the street without a mask. I converse with friends unmasked outside at a social distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

They have a plan, and it doesn't involve you getting your normal life back.

This "playing into the hands of the anti-vaxxers" is an interesting phrase. You seem to imagine that anti-vaxxers are scheming oligarchs who are waiting to implement some dire form of social control if they get their way. It's a testament to the power of the actual oligarchs that they have managed to make you think this way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No, I simply think they are people who are interpreting science in their own manner to suit their needs/thought processes. I can actually think for myself, surprisingly. I am more than fully aware of the nuances of the many, many, many arguments around Covid, and it's impact on society and all the rest. In fact I am exhausted by the many sides to every argument and frankly, I no longer give a ****.

My comment was simply referring to the fact that if people start asking why were we vaccinated, the anti-vaxxers agenda gains more steam. In addition there simply ARE quite a number of adults that I know who have passed the remark of "why were we vaccinated" lately. (late 30s, mainly). Today's comments were made after a slightly farcical situation where a local club ran an outdoor camp...because that's all that kids are allowed. The drop-offs were staggered to prevent crowding....so we all stood in a crowd in the pouring rain for 40 minutes, waiting while the staff running the camp ticked off names throughout the 30 minute drop off period. The kids were then separated out into groups (kids who will all be sitting in a classroom together all day in 2 and a half weeks time) and parents were told it's for "Covid Regulations".

Logic appears to have long ago left the building and people are fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They are telling me that it's not safe

What is safe? You know its not "safe" to drive a car because someone could cross into your lane and end you

Its not "safe" to fly in a plane because it could crash or get shot down

Its not "safe" to eat takeaway because you could get food poisoning

Nothing in this world is truly "safe" or without risk. However we rational people acknowledge that yes there is risk, but its minimal and the benefits outweigh the risk. You as a vaccinated individual are at minimal risk from covid. Even unvaccinated you would probably be at minimal risk.* Vaccinated you are 90% lower than the unvaccinated risk too. So to say that it's not "safe" in bars and restaurants with strangers is genuinely deranged. You have no concept of risk if you believe that but still drive a car or eat takeaway or walk down the street.

*Unless you have a serious underlying condition, your unvaccinated risk from covid is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭techdiver

So true. There many claims here and on the relaxation thread that we are "pretty much back to normal". It's laughable. The argument always seems to be around pubs, but people ignore so many other areas of our lives and the economy that are under ridiculous restrictions that make no sense like above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think we'd all like to some flexibility in our approach. Unfortunately we have been following a strict regiment of lockdowns followed by very slow relaxing of restrictions. Right now, even with the incredible effort in the vaccination program, we are still stuck in a very slow releasing of restrictions with poor communication from the government. This leads to frustrations growing. Take MM recently proclamation of a new timeline to give clarity and confidence. Sounds great until you realise it's still 4 weeks away.

Why is this?

Why isn't that plan announced already?

What is the reasoning for delaying this much needed clarity?

And these are only recents examples of the terrible comms coming from Leinster House.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I suppose its because the government is in recess, they pick the stupidest times to take their holidays when serious decisions need to be made.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It's when you get to the finer details that you start to seriously question what we are gaining by continuing with some of these rules.

Like another camp done earlier in the summer where the kids could all be together outside but the minute they were brought in (to a large sports hall with 3 sets of open double doors) they all had to stand on spots marked on the ground 2metres apart. They had all been in a classroom together the week prior to that.

Or how the gymnastics sessions, can go ahead but, for example, indoor dance classes (once more, standing on the 2m apart spots) cannot.

Things might seem to be fairly normal for many adults now, depending on their daily lives and routines, but for many of the rest of us, "normal" is still a long way off. And it's nothing to do with pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I would say the reason for the delay is so that they can get everything in order but we all know this will be another sh!tshow. Its looks to me like the government do no actual planning that everything is reactive, it has been like this from the start, go into lockdown and do nothing to plan for coming out of lockdown and then they realise that they need to come out of lockdown and it is a big panic to get some sort of plan in place which then as we have seen over and over again during this pandemic it is a pile of crap.

Advertisement