Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

For me Stradbally is the home of EP, it simply wouldn't be the EP else where.

It's a good connected location reasonably central, i.e lots of motorway access. Traffic plan down to a tee now.

The mix of forest, terrain in b&S on mature ground is just magic, it blew me away and what hooked me from the first time I went. (Admittedly taking it for granted in recent years) I think Punchestown should be used to spook and show that it can happen elsewhere, but it would be soleless.

Hugely frustrating seeing the amateur hour unfold with the 19 Laois councillors, some didn't and still don't really understand why or what exactly their voting on it seems. 10k or 70k does that really make a difference in the grand scheme, I mean if you take the average 22 year old now, they're out in the pub mixing all over the place currently, work mates, school/college mates, so if only x1 instead of x7 attend from a wider mixing pod attends is it really much difference in risk to the locals?

How would you scale back.... lots of issues.

Meanwhile in the UK 😪😪

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

I think anywhere else would be so different that they could risk damaging the brand.

There are so many things that are unique to that site. A lot of it could be moved, but would it really be the same without things like The Salty Dog and Body & Soul?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

And therein lies the issue. Politicians who don't bother with research, be it local TDs or councillors. EP 2004 was a one-day event with a capacity of 15k. 2005 was 22k, 2006 30k, etc, etc.

Anyway it defies any sort of logic that a business planning for a event with 70k people could alter it for a seventh or fourteenth of that without making catastrophic losses. Festival Republic should be putting adverts in the local Laois papers reminding people of the €26m brought into the county every year, €16m for Stradbally alone.

Luke O'Neill comments nor reported in the Mirror. Independent and Business Post behind a paywall.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/electric-picnic-should-allowed-go-24715921

• Advertisement

I can understand why the licence was refused. I also sympathise with any worried locals.

What is frustrating is the stream of ignorant comments from local politicians. They're making the decisions so surely they can do a little research. One councillor stating that she'd oppose the licence due to EP being a mainly indoor event was staggeringly stupid.

The locals have been great over the years and I'd hate to see the festival move elsewhere but maybe it's not a bad idea for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭fafy

Its time to move on, it would be ultra non sensical, to move EP to another venue location.

I will hold my tickets which i bought in 2019, and look forard to EP 2022, and for the revised late September weekend dates of EP, as a way of tempering my dissapointment of no EP for 2 years running, have booked a few nights away in Santiago, in North West Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I feel the same, Stradbally is EP's home, even doing the festival build the town is a lifesaver, a well stocked Super Valu and that little green shop just above the festival production entrance which made the best breakfast rolls. Ramsbottom's for pints at night and a few decent takeaway places and Centras and Gala shops. I'd say the town is missing that build up for the festival, meeting worldly weary festival technicians, grifters, décor volunteers, all the different security firms and festival volunteers and workers in general. That's some nice income to build over the two to three months prep for the festival normally.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Mucker46

While i dont agree with the decision by LCC i understand it and think the wider government should be giving guidelines on such events. By September we will be fully vaccinated and Ireland has to reopen when fully vaccinated so cant see why we are pushing it out as nothing will change by waiting.

Would hate to see EP moved not least as i have accommodation in Portlaoise which gives me home comforts and the bus service allows me to experience the festival early into the morning. The setting is fantastic so hope it stays in Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The affection that most on here have for the site and the town have been obvious on this thread for years. I've been staying off site the last few years at one of the dozens of impromptu B and Bs that spring up in the village. I know the family well at this stage and I know how much they love EP weekend, not just for the hundreds of under the table euro they fleece from gullible Dubs like me for a couple of nights on the sofa bed in the front room 😉 but for the craic and the buzz and the life that the festival brings to the place. EP wouldn't be EP anywhere else. We all know it. Very 2021 to be making this argument into something between the locals and ourselves, the punters. That's not the truth of it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

That's a good point and I was thinking myself, it shouldn't just be up to LCC if EP can go ahead.

Who decided 25,000 could be in Croke Park today? I doubt it was Dublin City Council alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭endainoz

Well it's not really relative, you don't need a council license to stage a match a Croke Park.

I suppose the point is that the government need to step up and tell everyone that this **** is OK now and not leave it in the hands of some shower of local councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

So the GAA could have had big crowds at games before now, could they?

My point was that maybe the Government could have given some guidance rather than leave it to the council. It's the largest festival we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Mucker46

That was my point. The move out of the pandemic back to "normality" is a national decision and therefore our government should be providing the country with guidelines on how that will happen and not be leaving it up to individuals hat dont have the full picture. I have agreed with a lot of what they have done to date but starting to disagree with them now, not just because of EP. The sense all along has been when we are fully vaccinated we will move to fully reopen society yet we are not doing that which seems strange as if we cant open when fully vaccinated when can we? At some stage we have to take the plunge and recognise while there will be more cases the vaccination success makes it like the normal flu. While it is a big jump from where we are to 70k it is outside its vaccinated people only and would send a message of back to normal "new normal" but unfortunately cant see it happening. If enough tickets have been returned that reduces the numbers but is enough for Festival Republic to put on then maybe but dont think so. I would so love it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isnt solely up to LCC but Croke Park is completely different and not equal comparison. Permissions, licenses for events to go ahead are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

This isn't normal times, no mass gatherings above 200/500 allowed, so to NC6000's point, someone must have given the green light for the gaa to go ahead, otherwise they're in breach of covid guidelines and should face a fine.

Mirror that procedure to EP, could the same "body" be consulted in tandem with Laois CC.

So the Laois councillors should have been deciding on every other element of the EP licence apart from Covid, this should have come nationally.

I suspect the councillors minds were made up prior to the vote, so no appetite to drive the planning though unlike the gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It may not be normal times but even if it was the permissions for events to go ahead are slightly different when you compare the dozens of matches in Croke Park to EP in Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Trying to compare Ep and the GAA is a bit daft to be fair.

Not sure how people cannot see the difference. No matter what peoples views local councils are there to support the local area and its residents - as such their decision will be in line with the thoughts they hear from their electorate etc.

People will mention the 3k Jobs but then ignore that an events company in scotland takes half these jobs nowadays so not as big a boost to the local area as it was years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I assume ytou mean security, theres a hell of alot more than 1.5 k of irish jobs on the line here

• Advertisement

Specific statement was around the security/temp staff positions - being quoted in the media as 3k jobs for the local community when many are filled by people from elsewhere.

It mentioned nothing about jobs for the local community, just that it would be employment for 3,000 people. Which it is. The economic benefit to the local community is well documented. Of course Melvin and his gang are in it to make money but there are also huge benefits to the Irish music community in all it's forms and to Stradbally and it's surrounds. People talk like the two are mutually exclusive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

News piece on the radio I listened to was using the potential 3k local employees as a stick to beat the county council with (Today FM I think).

Reality vs what they said are not aligned - my point of mentioning the employment was only to add some rational to the decision not to grant a license. As disastrous as this pandemic is to the irish music scene, that will not have been a factor for a local authority when deciding, the interests of their voters however most certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,049 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lads County Councillors or any local Representatives have no role whatsoever in licencing events. Zero.

Its a Planning function and so completely a matter for the County Chief Exec and his permanent staff. Councillors can make submissions the same as they can if you were putting up an extension, but they have no power to compel anything.

If the County Planner is not happy that the application would meet current national health, or any other, guidelines, he will refuse it. Same goes for any County, any venue.

And in the context of 20% unemployment on the back of the pandemic that they are trying to reverse, 3,000 casual jobs for 3 days in Laois is an irrelevance.

There's the original interview. You have more faith in the Laois C.C. thsn I do. I get that there were constituents that have suffered dreadfully over the last year and I know some would have been genuinely anxious about a possible reoccurrence of infections. There's a difference between serving your constituents and being seen to serve them. I think those fears should have been addressed by seeking proper scientific advice and discussing it in a public way, then seeing if the festival could work in that context. What the majority did was have a quick look at what the optics were, see who was shouting loudest and go with that.

Should they have been left with that burden in the first place? Absolutely not. Should the government have given more leadership? Of course.

All planning/licensing is local Authority to grant - it is their job.

Sadly with these things the negative voice often shouts the loudest so I imagine the councilors will have more calls from concerned elderly asking for it not to go ahead than they would have heard support.

Definitely a case of better safe than sorry, then again EP were planning a 100% event before we had even really managed a few pilot events. Little bit of give on both sides may have helped but alas not to be.

Anyway, feels stupid still babbling on about the flipping Laois C.C. It's not happening. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

"Lads County Councillors or any local Representatives have no role whatsoever in licencing events. Zero."

This.. 100% this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement