Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Croke park should be full for the all Ireland’s at this stage with nearly 80% jabbed.it’s total nonsense and shows how a small cabel in nphet have taken over this country.

This attitude is beyond comprehension - "everything is not all open today therefore the entire vaccination programme was pointless"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No it isn't.

I am vaccinated.Fully.So are many I know.Not bothered about needing a vaccine either, it wasn't something I got in a knot about.However the question is not the vaccination programme, the question being raised was the continuing restrictions and the validity of them and the doubt that they might be lifted, in a country which has an excellent take-up of said vaccinations.

That is all.

Post edited by shesty on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is a country that stopped women attending their husbands funeral, stopped husbands supporting their wives during miscarriages, stopped children from playing games in parks and brought in multiple contradictory rules and regulations that never actually addressed the problem they were supposed to be solved.

Don't look for logic in Irelands covid response, you won't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Whataboutery. The failings of other countries' governance does not excuse our own.

Also Spain are allowing 40% capacity in all stadiums - the blanket rule in Ireland is still 200 at events (including sports games). The gaa games are exceptions to this - all other sports events are capped at 200. So your link just proves how backward we really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Some load of crap those NPHET projections were looking back at them. By the end of the July the optimistic projection was 195 in icu, 1530 in hospital. We're currently at 34/217. Its like they didn't even take into account we would have most of the adult population vaccinated.

Even more ridiculous now that those weren't checked independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Exactly right. MM seemed perplexed that people weren't "clear" on the path forward and as far as he was concerned the guidelines were clear. Yet, he felt the need to announce yet another roadmap off the Merrion Hotel debacle. Turns out the guidelines are not clear and people have no idea when we are getting out of these restrictions.

My own take is that have always had a plan in the background but realized people would find it so unpalatable that they decided the best course of action was to drip feed information instead.

I would be surprised if we see all restrictions lifted this year. They will leave children's indoor activities closed to the very last. Sure, they've given zero thought to children to date and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Social distancing isn't going anywhere either and concerts and large events won't be tolerated unless stupid SD measures can be maintained, even for fully vaxxed people or young children.

His new "roadmap" will provide details for the next round of easing with 6 week gaps between measures to ensure it'll be after Christmas before they are all gone.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Children have been let down big time during this entire thing and no more so than the summer just gone. Camps not sure what the "guidelines" were and needed clarification in the Dial. Schools to reopen with those ridiculous pods again, despite all adults vaccinated. No effort to help children catch up during the summer on all the schooling they missed, especially Primary school level children.

But, sure, the older vaccinated groups can sit indoors now and enjoy their few drinks and a meal (vaccine bonus BS). So what more do people want. The children will just have to suck it up until such a time as the older/vulnerable people are comfortable and then we can think about letting toddlers and young children have a bit of normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I children don't have anyone lobbying for them like the Hotel Federation or the vintners so as you say it is easy to leave them to last. Archbishop McQuaid would be whooping with joy at the social distancing measures and the restrictions on night life. I would say this area is were the pressure will come next.

All Covid deaths are sad for family. If you have poor underlying health it will affect you more. Almost everyone understands this.

They must have dug out his memoirs for a lot of these current measures. No mingling, must stay seated, cover your face when walking through an establishment, government pass to allow you in. He'd be creaming himself if he knew these were this was the "new normal" embraced and encouraged by a large majority of the country.

All deaths are terrible for the family involved. But, you know what's worse, restricting family from seeing terminally ill people in hospital with weeks to live in case they get the COVID. Or stopping partners from being with their wives after miscarriages/still births. That's not just sad it's fooking sadistic.

There are many things I disagreed with as far as the government ls approach but could understand why they thought it was necessary. The examples above were just State sponsored cruelty and nobody will ever be able to explain to me why they were necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I am certainly not an apologist for NPHET but those optimistic scenario projections were on the basis of indoor hospitality reopening on early July.

What we now know is that delaying by those 3 weeks or so and the intensive rate of vaccinations in that period has put us in far better stead.

Hopefully as we get even more vaccinated and we can review what happens in the UK there can be a more intensive reopening in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Couldn’t care less about other countries.Ireland is all I give a sh1t about and our overlords in Tony and his gang ruling with no question

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep and because of them the Government panicked and held back a few restrictions

Starting to become very tried and annoyed with these esp with so many of the adult population fully vaccinated

So we can't go back to normal because of a scary variant out there still to be discovered but is coming ?

Our health system is a shambles and lockdown is only way around it to protect from been overwhelmed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I absolutely do not understand that a spouse or partner or designated person cannot visit a patient in hospital .

A member of my family was in hospital and got bad news and no one could be with him. Its cruel and inhumane and downright ridiculous now . They could check vaccine status , do an antigen test and don PPE for heavens sake

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospital cases still nudging up but fairly slowly.

If you think delaying by those 3 weeks prevented 165 people from being admitted to ICU then I have a bridge to sell that you may be interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

They generally don't drop after a weekend til the Monday evening or even Tuesday. The Monday am numbers are generally some of the highest each week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You don't think nearly a million extra vaccinations would have effected the model?

Exactly right, they could do any of those measures or just apply some basic human decency. They hide behind "guidelines" and "regulations" and "procedures" when it suits them. The truth be known the just lack any sort of humanity to actually enforce this. It's barbaric, cruel, and should never ever be forgiven for it.

And you wont have nurses here either.

The young well educated are already leaving, why would they stay here when concerts , night clubs etc are open in neighbouring countries.

we are so far behind even Belfast at this stage, we need to be making decisions now about a roadmap out of this.

I personally dont think saving seven elderly lives a day is worth the damage being done to young people.

I would be in favour of providing palliative care options for the elderly rather than see them taking up beds in the ICU for months, no one wants anyone dying in distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought ICU cases jumped by 9 but it was just hospitalisations.

Cases still climbing but it's Monday numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm sure the wait was beneficial to some of those in their 60s waiting on second shot of az but not to the tume of 165 in icu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Don't forget these are summer figures were the virus doesn't spread as much. Wait until September or October and it will be mayhem. We need to act now and I don't mean another lockdown but it seems it's the only way our government knows how to fight the disease

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You see what you don't seem to understand is how long it takes for scientists to really get to know a virus. It's only through years of study, of data of research that they finally get to grips with a virus. We are like 20 months in on this thing, there's still new information coming out about it.

Do your comparison to something so simple as driving a car isn't even relevant.

As for driving a car, for years there was no limit about how much you could drink before driving, them there was a limit which allowed you drink plenty, then less and now almost zero. Same applies to speeding. This came about after years of study and data at the cost of many lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yes, you make it quite clear in all your posts that you're a Logan's Run advocate.

Advertisement