Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nobody wants to control the planet’s temperature, we want to stop humanity from fundamentally altering the composition of the atmosphere thereby causing temperatures to go out of control

The planet was in radiative balance, not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not sure the data is robust enough to make such statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

If humanity can't control or limit temperatures within a certain range by doing or not doing something, then say goodbye to the rationale for 'climate change' emergencies, action, justice, whatever. If you imagine carbon dioxide is some sort of dial on a planetary thermostat that you turn to increase or decrease the temperature, then you believe in the ridiculous notion of 'climate change' nee; 'global warming'.

The good news is that humanity can control pollution and hysteria for a cleaner and calmer world.

No they didn’t, it was 4.5c for the highest likely range. They narrowed the range to eliminate entirely anything below 2.5c and the best guess is now about 3c

the IPCC don’t rule out an ECS above 4c it’s just not in the likely confidence range,

what they have ruled out is anything even close to Bates or lindzens estimates, a fact you consistently avoid talking about even when asked about it directly

3c is very costly economically socially and ecologically and we will need to take immediate concerted action to keep warming to well below 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Well that’s what they’ve UN have been saying all day, myself I tend to believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

You don't even get when someone is agreeing with you.

You spoke of 'double think' there earlier.. Something is either true and accurate or it isn't. Sticking 'P-Values' on truth is just meaningless nonsense.

And there is an absolute zero chance that we both live in a AI computer simulation.

New Moon

I did talk about the Bates value earlier, saying it is less likely to be correct. Read again.

The fact remains that, after all the hooing and haaing of the past several decades, they still don't know the ECS value to any accuracy. All the billions being pumped into research and still we're only in a likely range of 1.5 degrees. And they still can't exclude 5 degrees. It's laughable. In any other scientific discipline that would be unsatisfactory.

• Advertisement

How difficult is it for you to understand the outcomes run from best case to worst and what happens depends on what we now do. Your just doubling down now because to start digging up now would be embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

make sure you source your avocados locally. It’s a rich persons problem. There are more direct problems facing 99% of the population.

It's like Starship Troopers… “I’m doing my bit”….. “Would you like to know more?” Prue propaganda

Doubling down? I haven't change my view one bit today. As I said, nothing's changed with this report. They're still nowhere near sure, as the term settled science would suggest, of what the future will bring. Yeah, a fair idea, but they won't go to the top of their five confidence levels. If I were tooting the alarm horn that you and others toot then I'd be looking for more certainty than that. I'm surprised that you're not surprised at the high uncertainty in the ECS, for example, the key metric of all this hype.

My question of how the European record temperature was able to occur back in 1977 when CO2 was only 330 ppm has been glossed over.

I saw today a station in Algeria (Ouargla) reached 49 °C, which I thought must be a record, but when I dug deeper I note that its record high was 53.4 °C way back in 1984. High 40s has been a daily occurrence in July and August there for over 100 years but in recent decades the record has not been beaten.

Now I'm interested in this region as it's not far from where I am now and is the source of the heat in Greece last week. Even today the soundings from southern Sardinia and Palermo had 29 °C 850 hPa temperatures, courtesy of Algeria and Tunisia, yet this is slightly higher than Greece had last week. Still, the dense network of agrimet stations in Sardinia only registered a high of 40.2 °C today, a long way short of the 47 in Greece. It does beg the question of what local effects caused those several extra degrees in Athens despite a similarly warm airmass. But still the record of 1977 wasn't broken.

I don't expect an answer to that question any time soon. I certainly don't have one.

Who do you mean by 'we'?

What exactly are you doing, right now, to stop climate change? Do tell and be an inspiration to us all!

New Moon

I wonder is increased humidity, due to the eastern Mediterranean being exceptionally warm at the moment, in the atmosphere keeping record max temps at bay?

New Moon

I didn’t see that comment, can’t find it now either but I’m on my phone on holiday in west cork with bad internet. My point was, and always will be, that you thought climate change was not a major issue when you thought ECS was 1c

you have changed your mind and seem to no longer accept Bates’ (ridiculously low ball) estimate but you have not changed your position that climate change is no big deal

how can you accept that climate change is likely 2c higher than you previously thought, but not reevaluate your attitude towards the central debate?

the IPCC say that if we don’t get to net zero by mid century, we’re likely to see serious, irreversible and catastrophic effects, and this report doesn’t even go into the tipping points elephant. The hotter we get, the more likely we are to cause runaway climate change

Post edited by Akrasia on

If you think you’re bored of hearing the word unprecedented. You ain’t seen nothing yet. And few of these unprecedented stories will be good news stories

‘unprecedented’ reporting goes along with extremes. There might be an unprecedented mild pleasant week of summery weather, but that doesn’t show itself in the statistics in real time. But the 2nd biggest wildfire ever recorded in California (burning right now) is newsworthy

They haven’t fundamentally changed because the scientific consensus has been established for decades already. We’re just consolidating our understanding by chipping away at uncertainty at the edges

the reason why ‘the science is settled’ became a phrase is because of science deniers (plus people completely ignorant of basic facts) keep trying to challenge points that are established unequivocally

you can see that nonsense on this thread and others on this site

If this is the barrier to your understanding, when this record is beaten in the next 5-10 years will you then accept climate change is a problem? Or do you want to place a 500 euro bet that this record will stand in 2031

i mean it’s mad, every decade for the past half century as been progressively the hottest decade on record, but all you seem to care about is one thermometer reading from one point on a map on a single day decades ago

The IPCC reported today that we are hotter than any time in at least 2k years, but one measurement in Kilkenny by one guy who might have been drunk or the thermometer might have been properly calibrated, that one reading is enough for you to discount the mountain of evidence that our climate is warming

• Advertisement

It was in my reply to your post with the IPCC link yesterday. Not sure how you could have missed it but I suppose it did have some pertinent questions in it which you may not have wanted to read. Maybe the dodgy internet selectively filtered out the post. In any case I gave my view in that so have a gander.

Akrasia, I've asked the same question over a d over but you've ignored it. How could the European record temperature of 48.0 have been set in a time when CO2 was only 330 ppm? Heat of that level would nowadays be tweeted til the cows come home but it has not been challenged, despite 25% more CO2 in the air now. Similarly many other records. People are selective in the evidence they use to claim CO2 is the main driver, yet so many of these records still stand after decades. You now suggest that the guy back in Kilkenny may have been drunk and the thermometer incorrectly exposed? Love to get that record quashed, wouldn't you?!

That's a chicken and egg situation. The sea is only warmer now due to the high air temperatures off Africa and the clear skies. Dewpoints were not overly high during the heatwave. Here in Sardinia there's a huge drop in dewpoint as you move inland, where the highest temperatures are measured, yet yesterday we still only managed to touch 40 with an 850 temp 1 degree higher than that in Athens last week. Today we may peak 43 or 44, which is common inland at this time of the year. The warmest agrimet station (Ottana) has a longterm average daily max of 36.1 °C for this week of the year.

These records that have stood for decades/centuries are tumbling now. When the European maximum temperature record is beaten in the next few years will you finally admit that we need to get carbon neutral as soon as possible? Or will you just point to something else to allow you to keep the same opinion regardless of the facts changing

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

The IPCC is and the vast majority of published science on this topic agrees, so maybe your uncertainty is due to your lack of education or understanding of the published data

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Surely then you are referring to yourself as a fool?

As you push your logic and predictions as certainties where as others in here are full of doubt?

With climate change there will still be cold spells but these cold spells will not be record breaking cold because the cold Arctic air is warmer than it was pre climate change

(still very cold)

Climate change is altering atmospheric currents, changing rainfall patterns, the jet stream, ocean circulation etc and can bring unusual weather. ‘Weather wierding’ happens when established weather patterns become disrupted.

you have never addressed what you think the likely consequences of adding extra energy equivalent of 5 Hiroshima bombs per second to our biosphere and cryosphere.

this is accumulating energy, it’s retained in our atmosphere and oceans

Lol. You’re calling me a fool because I’m certain about my uncertainties while others are dismissing the science because the scientists are not absolutely certain

thats Olympic level mental gymnastics there

ive literally just had to respond to someone who thinks a 5 sigma p value is not certain enough for him to take it seriously

while Gaoth Laidir thinks 99% certain should just be called 100% certain so that he can go and anomaly hunt to say ‘look this one element is slightly off, therefore they don’t know what they’re talking about’

• Advertisement

Tapping into philosophy. A step forward!

Yet it is you who expresses such certain disdain at those whom you think 'doubt'.

New Moon

Advertisement