Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Thanks - that confirms it has everything it ought to inc alarm and sound insulating windscreen

You have to be careful on d model years with these. Eg my2021 Tech doesn't have dual zone climate (an odd omission) or area view...

Anyhoo, we can live with that...

Will be happy once the HUD works, and then look into the latest software update, vharging away from home.

Its the OHs car- in trying to get the spec info it was prompting me to change primary user from the app over to me. Now I realise I dont have access to it on we connect for charging etc.. but I'll figure it out)

It's been a bit of a ordeal tbh to get to this point (dealer issues - don't ask. Otherwise we really don't mind the learning curve involved simply because its an electric car) but we love the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You are spot on on both of those counts.

You cant calculate battery capacity from the kWh/100km figure or the figures reported on a rapid charger (charge losses) or from the SoC (as its not linear) or from the GOM (as its temp dependent and driver profile dependent).

And generally speaking I wouldnt rely on mpg/kWh figures from the car. The best method is to measure what energy you put into the car when charging it from 0-100% and what range you get from that 100%. Then calculate your own figures for battery capacity and range (at various speeds/conditions).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

Hi All,

Has anyone insight on battery warranty yet? I asked the dealer but the sales guy I deal with said that he's not actually sure on specifics yet because is new and I'm curious about how it operates.

Previously I'd been told that some form of system would be introduced that would be rendered void if you did something like 'x' number of rapid charges in a row, i.e. anything that could be considered as undue battery care.

But is this stated plainly anywhere? I can't seem to find it anywhere online; all the VW seems to state is the mileage / for how many years.

And by what metric is rapid charging designated? Is it simply if charging above a certain value? Anything above home charging flat?

Cheers,

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any of you PCP folks got confirmation on the extra mileage charge?

As I understand it, it only really matters if you hand the car back after the 3 years (why??) but I'd still like to know. I think I read online that it was 6c per km but the finance agreement just said 6 in the box and it looked more like €6 than 6c lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

At €6 per km, I'll be handing my dealer €106,000 with the car in three years 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Does the car come with a charge cable? If not, how much is it as an extra?

Car comes with a granny cable and a 32a type 2.

I have not seen anything about limiting the number of rapid charges. The car has a battery management system and active cooling so it will not allow you to damage it by repeatedly rapid charging it.

The only warranty I've seen in the documentation is the one you reference.... "8 year battery warranty or 160,000km, which ever comes first".

NOTE: That warranty covers the battery down to 70%. So, if the battery is at 80% original capacity after 8 years you have no claim.

14.3 Kwh/100 km is an average over xx Kms it doesn't tell you in Kwh exactly what was taken from the battery, it's stupid but the German car manufacturers don't think we could handle consumption in Kwh or regen in Kwh or even telling us how many Kw are going to the battery when charging. The car knows it but we're not allowed see all this info.

What you need is one of those apps and bluetooth dongle to track the Kwh taken from the battery.

I've done a few additional long motorway trips in the 58kWh ID.3 over the last few weeks. Most recently a repeat of the Cork-Dublin run detailed above where I did a return trip in the one day (500km+). Much better conditions this time since its summer and it was also dry.

Conditions:

Temp: 17°C

HVAC at 20°C

Weather: Dry

Speed: 125km/h (Dash readout)

ACC all the way

Stopped at Ionity Kill North with 27% left, 105km range left (vs 14% in winter with 45km left).

That gives about 310km motorway range in summer at full motorway speed and hence no need for stops. We stopped for coffee rather than charging.

Consumption figure on the way up was 18.1kWh/100km. Traffic on the way home was moving a good bit faster and I did get stuck in traffic on the way out of Dublin but the figure going home was 19.3kWh/100km.

I was fortunate this time that I was able to get destination charging in Dublin and so I got back to a 100% charged car for the journey home. It was put to a vote and the decision was not to stop and just get home.... the car duly obliged, no stops and range to spare.

Just some additional stats I collected on the way home.

As a running total starting at 100% from Finglas, I used

10% to get to Ionity Kill South

20% to J14 Mayfield

30% to J17 Midway

38% to J3 Manor Stone

59% to Ionity Cashel

80% to Fermoy

That should give prospective buyers some insight into what the car can do along the Cork-Dublin route and the amount of charging options you have, if required. It significantly reduces your reliance on the public charging network when you dont have to stop for charging... thats a good thing!

The car has really exceeded my expectations in terms of range and usability. I've been in the depths of West Cork, up to Clare, the midlands, Dublin.... all flawless and little need for rapid charging. Its a great car to drive, imo.

Cons:

• The charging timers still dont work. VW need to get the finger out there fast.
    • Would have really liked the reversing camera. Its not in our 1st edition. Im considering retrofitting it.
    • The Bridgestone tyres have worn off it much too quick (15k km's now and they are done)... not really the cars fault based on other owners with different tyre brand.

All the other cons are really subjective in nature like plastics, touchscreens etc. I dont mind any of that to be honest. The car gives me a smile on my face every time I drive it.... as it should since its a new car!

TL;DR... The 58kWh ID.3 is a 260km-310km range EV at full motorway speed depending on temp/weather. You could get more if you simply slow to, say 110km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

I decided to bite the bullet and orderd the ID3 Tech. Dealer said would be Jan before I would get it. Are you getting the status updates from the dealer or is there any way for the customer to track the progress?

I hope that I still qualify for the 5K grant and the grant for the home charger

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

You would only really do the 0-100% once just as a research project. I can’t do it on a daily basis. What I know is that with consumption of 14.3 over last 4 days I drove 208 km with reported soc drop of 64%. This theoretically would give range of max of 325km. In reality probably less. I don’t have any other figures to use for daily driving. Below you talk ab the motorway range of 310km, not a chance it’ll happen in my car.

Put your comm number into the MY Volkswagen section of the website for some info.

But the majority has to come from the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I don’t think I’ll get much info from dongle either as f.e. Tronity app is free for ID.3 as only charging info is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

Thanks, How many days after you placed the order did you get the comm number from the dealer? I wish cars could be purchased directly from manufacturers and you only had to go to the dealers for servicing 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Thanks @KCross that's an excellent case study, hopefully will get winter range reports soon. Can I ask do you use the centre console for maps/chargers locations? How good is it without needing to piggy your phones data, does it have a good up to date map of charge locations ?

I think you should get the Comm number as soon as its ordered, but it won't tell you much. Only the colour and the model year.

The dealer should also be able to tell you the build week it's scheduled for.

Somewhere around the build week, maybe a bit before or after, the page will update to show the spec. It won't actually say the name, Tech, Tour etc. My ill fated Tour 5 did, but they seem to have cha ged it for MY22 cars.

But if you go through it with a fine tooth comb (yes, I did...) you should be able to identify all the kit that's due on your specific model.

Then once your car is done and ready to ship, the VIN number will appear along with the option to activate the car in the app, although you can't do that fully until you've actually physically received it.

This is basically what you'll get now if you enter your comm number.

My winter range report is quoted in the same post above. Expand it and you’ll see the details.

I do use the sat nav. The charge points are on it. I haven’t checked how up to date it is across the country. The ones I used were all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Agree, great car to drive. My figures are fairly similar when I manage to get a bit of motorway driving in. But it's too easy for the speed to creep up over 130km/h if the cruise isn't on.

BTW another thing I have noticed since the first part of the OTA update is that it seems much easier to adjust speed for ACC with the wheel buttons than before. 1km/h increments don't seem to turn into 10km/h anymore..Still waiting on part 2 of update, only 11 days now..😊

If you get a good hard rubber tyre next, you will probably get another 20km on a full tank..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

and much less grip with longer stopping distances, but hey.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

That's why I said "good". But it was a tongue in cheek comment. My Goodyears seem to be lasting well and I am not too easy on them..

Yes I think there's an app that can tell you the charging in KW and the amount taken from the battery in Kwh which is far more useful than some poxy Kwh/100 km reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

I just checked the equipment list online for my Tech model on My Volkswagen and note the following line:

Tool kit and Tire Mobility Set: 12-volt compressor and tire sealant

I have not located this in my 2-month old Car. Can any current owners confirm if this was delivered with their id.3 and, if so, where was it located?

Thanks…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Underneath the false floor in the boot in a black zip bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Cheers, Just checked, all present and correct! Hadn’t noticed that little flap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

its shocking that a dealer will let you out on the road without explaining something as important as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

RTFM?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

The one that’s in the infotainment system? Owners don’t get a hard copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Whyyy are we wayyyting. Still anticipayyyting.

one more week and I should be picking it up I think.

Advertisement