Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Thread well off topic as seen before, €4:30 akg base price in liffey meats cavan this week for in spec heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

And I think your begrudging analysis is pretty ludicrous.

The Journal does not push an agenda; it presents the facts, the research results from home and abroad, and it's up to the reader to take from it and act on the information presented as he/she wishes. Only the weak minded could regard that as pushing an agenda. For quite a while now there has been a two page spread each week on farm buildings from all around the country; these articles have been thorough and well researched and, I would have thought, been an excellent guide to anyone interested in that line.

The editorials in the last year have been uniformly informative and on the money; only the Journal, it seems to me, has highlighted the fact that €330 million has been siphoned away from the CAP annual budget for nebulous greening measures.

Phelim O Neill is an outstanding journalist on the topic of beef, on top of all the details/nuances at play in the sector.

Matt Dempsey's articles are intelligent, wide ranging and uniformly interesting.

While your contributions on the coalface of the beef trade are 'on the money' I see the other stuff through the prism of your beliefs in the conspiracy theories re the meat factories cartel. Weak minded and very, very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Beef price tracker never tied itself to price only. It was always as much a Beef chit chat thread as a price thread

Slava Ukrainii

Not all land is heavy midland type. The rain over the last week has driven grass on dry farms( gone from famine to feast again this year) cattle are thriving again. Ya it could go pear shaped in 2-3 weeks but we are not there yet.

You are acting like a lad that needs stores and the price is too high.

Not only that they are on fire. Lads are paying for them as if they are going to AA/ HE bonuses for over 40 month cattle as well as getting normal QA on them. A combination of events not a great summer for thrive on dryer land. Ration is gone very expensive and quality is poor if buying on price. Beef nuts are 8+/ bag. Barley normally helps fill the gap but it's expensive this year. Lads that changed from suckler's may not be up to speed yet on managing them. Only way you will get weight on bullocks is paddocks or low stocking rate if set stocked. Looking at a lads cattle last week's that are set stocked on a large are. This time last year they were flying this year they seem back a good bit

As an aside we are only 6 weeks from the 20th of September by that stage any glut of U30 month cattle will be gone. TBH the next 2-3 weeks could be tricky but numbers will dwingle fast after that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I was watching heifers in Birr for a while online today and I have done for the past few weeks. Mart prices definitely seem to be easing off a bit. Any of the traditional breeds struggled to get above €2 - €2.10/kg. Like you said it’s baffling the amount of 27-30 month old “store” cattle out there. And a lot of them under 500kgs, you’d wonder what lads do be at with them.

There was also plenty of 600kg plus factory fit stock selling for €2/kg and less, about €80 - €120 less than their factory value.

• Advertisement

The Journal always pushes an agenda. What is its obsession with suckler's and the necessity that they are required within the beef system.

2-3 years ago it set up that Suckler demo farm that was going to show the great unwashed that mixed drystock of suckler's and sheep could turn a profit. They have gone through 2-3 slaves( farm managers) and are looseing money before labour and rental costs.

I predicted after the last CAP much of what has came to pass this time. Money was always going to be redirected at greening. If rather than being sidetracked on upward only convergence had agri journalists and Farm bodies dealt with the reality on the ground things might be a bit different.

The upward only convergence saga promoted by the IFA and not challenged by the FJ was nothing short of the most disgraceful bit of journalistic cowardice that I have ever seen in any publication that want to be seen as serious

Slava Ukrainii

There is a definite gap appearing on prices. Cattle that can be fattened and killed pre Christmas are holding or strengthing, cattle that will go out into next year are softening.

Processor's have probably started to pull back from the ringside how long it will last will be interesting

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yes that’s definitely what I was seeing. Any plain cattle up to about 450kgs were flying up to €1.80/€1.90/kg and then come to a sudden stop and a struggle for the auctioneer to get them any bit more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sorry haven’t figured out how to cut out the parts I don’t need yet!!

I don’t buy any stores. My point is literally that the wet weather will effect cattle price as it does every year. This year it seems to be particularly heavy rain and anywhere cattle are standing near a gap or a tree is already messed up around here.

I wouldn’t have thought that there are many parts of the country that has escaped it or is not effected by it and if it continues for a couple of weeks like this then farmers will panic and go with cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thank God someone else can see in your posts what I see, conspiracy theories left right and centre.

It wasn't the Journals place to challenge the candidates, it'd be another opportunity for conspiracy theorists to say the supported one candidate over another. they asked the questions and published the answers.

Tullamore farm was set up, not to show farmers, but to see was there any way they could make money, your begrudgery has blinded you to that fact. It was for research. They're on their second manager, the first was going to be shortterm any way, present one mightn't stay that long, he's too good to be farming or working for farmers

There are people on here that will vouch for that fact that, during the last CAP reform, I told posters to contact the IFJ for information and they were on EMAIL most of the day ....and night to answer questions

As I say IFJ are a successful business doing a good job.

• Advertisement

Once again you are on about begrudgery, you some how could not find a reason to mention Beef plan it seems. I am not the begrudging one. You should look into the mirror because you attitude to general run of the ml famers is appalling. For someone who worked and represented farmers you have an absolutely awful attitude about them

I do not have conspiracy theories rather I question why an agricultural publication during the last CAP negotiation never challenged any of the narrative from IFA.

The rag never accepted the opinion from the ground of how unprofitable suckler's were even on better type land. They always have the habit of showing how good this top 10% are. They were going to show the great unwashed in there opinion how it was done. Look again at Adam Woods piece spouting that all research by Teagasc showing output and stocking levels are what counts for profitability. It's interesting that a young farmer Kieran O Sullivan in the last week's journal question that narrative. He asks it is better to have less hours at a higher rate than being overall more profitable but working for 10/hour. This is the nub of the IFA farm. It's interesting that they have lost 2-3 slaves sorry farm managers. The reason for this is IMO the workload was unsustainable.

During the last CAP were they up answer emails or was it a propaganda machine at work.

Slava Ukrainii

Can't delete my post, feck it, lovely weather...🤣

Post edited by wrangler on

There is an interesting piece in the FI today on CAP. They put 5-6 questions to the difference farm organisation's and have printed the answers. They give figure as well as to the amount of farmers that will win and lose in different scenarios re CRISS and Convergence. As well it seems the EU commission is putting pressure on Ireland be side of our emissions that our greening targets will have to try to correct some of that.

Nice article by John Heney a bit tongue in cheek about finishing Friesian cattle

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I must buy it before I go home, I have great respect for Heney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

Between the journal,agriland and the independent I think he’s the best to read,talks a lot of common sense and I enjoy reading his articles

Potterton is a gifted writer, I heard his son is working in IFA but haven't seen it reported anywhere

I agree Re his beef system and the article today is very accurate. From his prospective he was more than right about the protests because we got a grid system which disadvantages friesian cattle even more than before and not much else was achieved.

While I agree to an extent, grading has improved on plainer cattle IMO. Before the protests a fair few AA and HE were slipping into O- grade. Also it was very hard to get any Friesians into O=. While at present grading is slightly harder on better quality cattle plainer AA/HE are no longer grading O- and more Friesians are getting into O= at lower weights (under age). No where near the amount of P grade cattle either. It my understanding that some of the machines were changed last year. I sometimes wonder was there a fear that some sort of certification of the machines was on the cards or that an outside body might take over there authentication

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I honestly believe that some senior DAFM personnel are more than aware of F&F and keep track on threads. I have been saying for the last 5 or 6 years that we need NSAI (ISO/National Standards Authority of Ireland) to independently inspect, certify and oversee the operation of VIA's (Video Imaging Analysis) machines. Most if not all beef plants have achieved various ISO/NSAI certifications to enhance the operation of their business to their customers. It's sort of puzzling that they don't have similar indpendent certification for what I consider to be an seriously important component between them and their suppliers 😕

• Advertisement

Do you not thing that the grading is monitored as part of the certification process, it'd be like giving you a DOE cert for your jeep despite not checking the brakes.

If we have a proper concientious public service we don't have to worry about correct labelling and correct grading. That's their job, if they don't want to do it right, you could have 100 AOs in a factory and all the certifications might as well be on a roll in the loo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you are conscientious worker in the Dept of Agriculture with regard to the factories you can get yourself in to a dead end in the eyes of the top.

Thing is Wrangler, many people know people who work in or have worked in factories, in the Dept etc.

Nevermind what we know about from legal investigations.

It's an industry where standards and regulations, often legality is not a given.

Given the track record of the industry, compliance and grading should not be in their hands.

Thing is, no matter who you put in to inspect you have to accept them until you can prove they're not doing their job.

Conspiracy theories don't work

It's nothing about conspiracy theories. We only have to look at what happened to the SIU officer that got into trouble after he was too diligent in checking a couple of semi coporate vets practices, large finishers and the horsy crowd. Even though any complaint against him was never held up in court he was moved sideways. It probably cost him a fortune. He lost milage and day/night allowances.

Machines would not have been tweaked overnight. It would have been s slight tweak over a year or more you would train an inspector's eye to see different you do not see the hedges grow I er a day or a week but suddenly after a year they are earthing the wire everywhere. The difference's can be very minor at first but suddenly like the ditches those plain AA&HE are grading O-, good Friesians are now O- and middling ones are P+. Slightly more cattle fail to make 3- and a few more slip into over fat.

Slava Ukrainii

It'll only ever be as good as the civil servants on site and you know my thoughts on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I only kill a handfull of cattle but I know for a fact my cattle will grade fatter in a certain factory .This factory will nail anyone with suckler bred cattle as a result bur easier for fr .Other farmers have this noted as well .But my question is why should this be if all grading machines are callibtrated the same

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Overnight tweaking my bolox, have seen a machine been 'adjusted' during the 10 o'clock tea break. They have a lock on the door to the slaughter hall since.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They know who is calling the shots.

I find it hard to understand why, given all we know about the factories from investigation and tribunals, exposes, etc that anyone could view the industry as having anything but deep moral flaws, to put it mildly.

Ultimately we need a beef regulator . That's to protect the industry but also the wider economy from corrupting influence.

I was fighting with factories for 20 years,

While I'm an athiest, I think the serenity prayer is good advice

“Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

• Advertisement

I was Co chairman in 2013 protest , branch meetings every night, straight over to Kilbeggan after meetings, organised sandwiches for the day at the local service station at 6 am and a few breakfasts for the few that were at teh factory, Then meet the press and radio staions at 10am . Could go look after my sheep when the IFA REP arrived. I was glad they only did three day stints at a time,

Yea I stopped in 2001 alright only difference was I thought there was hope in 2001 but knew I was wasting my time in 2013, very soul destroying

Advertisement