Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC is fecked, troubleshooting help

Options
  • 10-08-2021 12:46am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, tried to turn on my PC today and the fans spun up and stayed spinning but nothing showed up on the screen and mouse and keyboard didn't light up. Tried turning it off and on a few times (you know it is serious when this doesn't work) and after a few goes, there was a blue LED on the motherboard that kept flashing after I turned it off. It flashed at least 40 times. I unplugged the power cable and it eventually stopped.

I tried removing various components to see if they were causing the issue. Started with RAM, no difference. Wireless card, no difference either. Tried the GPU then and same issue. After that I tried unplugging and plugging back in some cables on the motherboard in case they were responsible including the big long power connecter for the motherboard. Not when I try the power button, nothing happens. It's dead.

Motherboard is an MSI Z97-G43, CPU is an Intel 4670K and PSU is a Corsair CS650M

Any thoughts? I assume either the CPU, motherboard or PSU is bollocksed (possible 2 of them or even all 3). Don't really fancy building a new PC with the market the way it is right now so hoping to salvage it somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Does it have a debug 7 segment display if not there is usually debug LED's. Download the user guide booklet if you do not have the original that came in box and see what LED's say what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

It wont boot without ram so Id make sure that was definitely put back - in the correct sockets and seated correctly. Check all power cables to motherboard are back.

Then describe the flashing led if you can- the exact pattern can detail the issue.

you may be lucky and not be hardware at all - possibly corrupt bios settings?

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have the MSI manual downloaded and it is complete rubbish. It gives no troubleshooting info at all. Doesn't even mention the LEDs on it. I tried the little motherboard speaker as well when it was actually powering up and it didn't make a sound. The speaker is old and I have literally never even plugged it in before so it could be fecked as well for all I know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wouldn't it at least get to BIOS or show something on the screen though? Flashing LED was just a quick flashing, once every half second maybe. And it just kept flashing and flashing. There was no sequence or pattern to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, RAM problems could stop the POST, you wouldn't necessarily see any BIOS or video output depending on what aspect of the RAM it's objecting to.

• Advertisement

Good to know. I always thought it would at least get you to the BIOS before complaining about it for some reason. Once I figure out why it isn't even powering up I will pop the RAM in. I checked all the cables and everything looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Have you tried clearing CMOS ram?

I had board having similar issue about a year ago. Older board. Turned out to be known.

Had to short the CMOS with paperclip and not just remove it.

Think I tried removing it first, and that made a difference. But not enough. Trying to remember exactly what it was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's not responding to the power button, so the CMOS contents aren't relevant.

Tried messing about with it a bit more this morning and got nowhere with it. I even tried a new plug on the off chance it was that but it still isn't powering up. I might try removing everything from the case and trying that in case something is shorting it out. I don't think it will work but not much else I can do until I get my hands on a different power supply to test it with.

I had a read of the manual and did a bit of searching about. The manual is lazy and vague, and there's a distinct lack of solid info on the debug LED. At this point, a search for that board model and debug LED already produces this thread as the 7th result.

I did find one small hopeful entry, where the CMOS battery was dead, and simply needed replacing. Given the age of the board, that is quite possible by now. And it's cheap to try replacing.

If the board is dead, I'd say it's the end for that machine, unless you're happy to spend time and money searching for a second hand one.

• Advertisement

Yeah I wasn't expecting the manual to be great but it is way more rubbish than I expected. I actually bought a few of those small button batteries not too long ago. Of course I can't remember where I put them. :D

If the board is dead, I think I'll just do a new build. Second hand prices for motherboards that old aren't cheap so it's putting a lot of money into a dead platform that would be better spent on a new PC.

I agree it'd be hard to justify investing more money into a machine that old. You could easily get a cheap bundle today, or wait a few months until the DDR5 based systems start appearing, though they'll be expensive at the outset.

I need an mATX board and they seem to be 50-60+ on eBay with delivery. I don't know what the story is with VAT and customs with stuff coming from the UK but there is a chance it gets hit for that too. Just doesn't seem worth it for something so old. I'll probably just go with a Ryzen 3600 or Intel 10400/11400 build if I can get those at a decent price. I haven't been keeping an eye on them recently but they were coming into stock regularly enough and prices were ok when they were in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was having a similar issue. I went on to tomshardware forum and I got loads of help there. It came down to something to do with the BIOS - I can't remember what it was, if it was not being read properly or something.

Anyway, that helped and the board lasted until April when I bought new. Everything still working but slow. Mine was around 2010 tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some PSU have a self check test on them. See if yours has it. Then you could rule in or out the PSU

All Eyes On Rafah

So, I was able to clear the CMOS by shorting two pins on the motherboard. I replace the BIOS battery as well. Now it gets power and fans spin but nothing on screen and keyboard/mouse don't light up. At least it looks like the PSU is fine. Looks like motherboard is dead though.

Advertisement