Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I find his articles very good ..he just made the point if your profitable and you want to pay less tax you incorporate.nothing outrageous about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Maybe you should try to look at the bigger picture sometimes. All this talk about highly profitable dairy farming is a lie that he and others keep spreading. You have people getting into massive debt in pursuit of these huge profits. Beef farmers are calling for dairy farmers to be excluded from future grants seeing as they are so highly profitable. It also seeps into government decision making, etc. Just my opinion. At the end of the day I'd be happy enough to fold up the operation here in the morning and go back to the 39 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Its basically a copy and paste job year in year out with their articles and "advice" the radio silence by the likes of Brady and Teagasc on the financial implications next year for a large % of glanbia suppliers with peak quota is dumdfonding to be honest, bar the drivel wrote by aidan brennan saying lads should just take the hit sure spring calving is the only show in town and following the party line to the letter re still aiming to have 90% calved in 6 weeks grass grass and more grass and youll be producing milk that cheaply the penalties will manageable is financial suicide for some cases i know where they will have a 100 plus cows milking at peak then they have quota for

An taisce is to blame for that,that cheese plant would have being up and running only for their objections.thats not bradys fault.

I dont agree,dairying done right is Miles ahead of beef sheep and tillage.miles ahead.

That's not in dispute at this stage

If you've that big a tax bill that u need to incorporate your doing pretty well and more power to the lads and lassies that are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I'd say a few more are wishing they've took it up since

Teagasc calculating that a cow doing over 6500 litres will be calculated at 106kgs/n ha is mind boggling as the reference figure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am only 47 but I think is the last straw for me surely easier ways to make a living .It is going to drive up the rented land again not to mind this foolery of covering all tanks .I would say let them at it but I am out .I would say the more improvements dairy lads make the more they will have to do!! Just bought a rental house in local town 140k and 1k a month rent ..What kind of return would I get putting money into my yard and a newer tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'd agree with moving chemical fertilliser back to end of February, weather is so unpredictable in early months. Soiled water is interpreted very differently mainly as we all interpret as much to soil water as possible...

Unless milk stays at 35 cent, lads will just scale back numbers, especially if your a glanbia supplier, the slurry storage the department are taking about is conservatively going to cost a 1000 euro a cow, extra land if even available will be another 100 odd euro plus a cow yearly cost, and you have no guarantee in a few years time another set of rules will be brought-in that leave lads having to drop another few 100k, youll see lads just selling their entitlements and take their chances going forward, our mortgage the farm to keep the civil servants and enviro crowd happy

• Advertisement

Same story here. Gave up good job to take over the farm 5 years ago. 6 to 700k spent and working 7 days a week. Highly profitable my hole. Big stop on the farm spending from here on for me. All my ex colleagues are on holidays all over the country every second weekend and not a care in the world. 2 nights I managed to get away with my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Anyone here read Matt Ryans management notes interesting read every month man has a wealth of knowledge it seems. Technical and pushy but take what you want from the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Do you ever get sick of crying the poor mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's very unfair.

He's a poster that posts from the heart with what most of us think just don't put it to post.

If you're a dairy farmer the regs are getting tougher every year and every year demands more spending on farm. Costs that are not included in teagasc or Brady literature. If you don't keep up the expenditure you'll be left behind with too much to make up and there's only one road then.

His experience pre farm off farm gives him an insight most of us wouldn't even think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'd be thinking very similar to him and more. I'm sure we're not the only ones. Why put in all the effort?

Nope. But I do get sick of being taken for a fool. Plenty more lads seem to love the punishment.

Whats the options though Jay?

Summer calving or go calving year round to milk more cows?

Autumn calving will do nothing for pushing milk out of April - June if you want to milk more cows

The one man band is enough of a slave to the thing with out adding another calving season into it. National av for milk solids is just on 450 kg, lads going autumn calving and summer calving aren't going to gain anything out of it with that volume

Be better off stay as is

How much work are you doing yourself straight?

Are you doing alot of machinery work and rearing young stock?

Delayed breeding by 6 weeks here so will be calving middle of april into the summer, only reason for the above is took on a considerable amount of debt last year for a new cubicle shed/slurry storage, if i hadnt i would of just dropped back numbers but thats not a a runner for a few years now till i get loans payed down

Is it unfair? What will be the narrative when base price is 30c or 26 c or 24c?

Straight has said here that he hasn't taken a wage since he started five years ago but in the same breath is saying "big stop on farm spending", those two statements aren't compatible in my book.

I'm a new entrant, business plans were based around three scenarios, 28/30/32 cpl (not base price), last month the milk cheque was 43.5c, thats 45% above the middle business plan. Thats not because I'm the best farmer in Ireland, I'm not, if I was making every mistake I could I'd still be running at 30% above that. And maybe Straight is closer to the base price, if he is he'd laugh at the volume I'm putting out.

If you can't take a wage from your farm this year then there is something wrong, massively wrong.

This is a good milk year, we're on the upside cycle, there'll be plenty of years we're on the downside cycle, the constant pity party is tiresome.

You're saying that regs are getting tougher but we know this. We know that we'll have a longer winter window for slurry storage, we know that washings are probably going to have to included. I've an open slurry pit, I know that by 2027 I'll have to have it covered. We can't say we're responsible for the environment and then be surprised when we're held accountable for it. And yes there will be something beyond that and like any business we'll have to make decisions based on that information. But lads don't want to hear that the answer for some will be to cut back and cut their cloth to measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

His take is his own take though.

His take is he's coming from off farm employment. A life where your income was your income and you were free to spend it on your house and family.

Now he's in a business where income is published before expenditure on tractors, machinery, land rent, wages?, land purchase.

We're a laughing stock of an industry the way we're treated in this country by those supposed to have our interests.

I was reading a report of organic dairy farming in Germany and they've all the above included in costs before releasing it to the public to give the realistic farmer view.

And the view was they were loosing money at 60c/litre. Best not move over there either.

At a 5000 litre herd average, and say you get a milkflex loan to cover the draft new regulations published, your going to be 3-4 cent a litre for a 7-9 year period to just remain compliant if you haven't massive extra slurry capacity at the minute

If this is his take when milk price is where it is then it’s going to be great craic around here when prices tank

Ya, raise my own replacements and do my own slurry. I'd prefer to raise my own and do without the extra cows. I don't mind the work but I'm just a bit too tied to the whole thing. I have a good relief milker now but I still need to be nearby for grass allocation.

So obviously costs are different farm to farm but taking your scenario - if that 3-4c/litre puts your wages in danger then you need to look at a longer term loan. Or if you go for that term and things take a turn for the worse then you restructure your loan

If you can't understand the difference between farm spending and wages then that says it all for me really. I spent all that money from savings and cashflow because that was my choice. If others prefer to borrow and spread over a number of years, then that's their choice. I have the farm fully set up now after 5 years and I'll be taking a wage from now on. My accountant says I need to incorporate also but I'm not sure yet.

Ya, my milk price is closer to the base price but I have high litres. My milk cheque is probably similar to yours but I don't go telling everybody about how happy I am to be getting paid the same price as 30 years ago.

Money is the last reason anyone should use to decide to go farming in my opinion.

Wages are part of farm spending

IMO money should be at the top or close to the top of anyone’s decision to go farming. Otherwise you just end up crying about money all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

so which is going to precedence when deciding your nitrates level, stocking rate or volume per cow. the ifa should be fighting tooth and nail against nitrate rate based on cows performance. It doesn't make any sense, should they not be targeting more milk off less cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

i hope you have the same enthusiasm in 10 years because all the posters on here are a seasoned diary farmers have all mentioned that the new regs will stifle any profit margin for small to medium size farmers. With the rate of inflation on all goods purchased and now this on top of it will squeeze allot of lads and that's the reality. For example if you have to cut back say 5 cows yielding 6500l at a price of 35 cent your down 11,000 euro straight away and then your down the price of the calves aswell, and you won't cut back on the fertilzer cause its still the same ground, you will more than likely up the nuts in the rest of the cows trying to make up for the cows you've lost.

• Advertisement

They'll have everyone back to 300kgms yet and a 4 cow/ha stocking rate.

Advertisement