Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

You requested evidence, and evidence I produced.

Now, you reject the evidence because the evidence doesn't align with your perspective.

No evidence I produce will therefore ever be sufficient to meet your expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're back to the "I don't believe anyone who is rich actually has morals" argument again I see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope. Opinion, particularly that of the American right and evidence are not the same thing. I'd have happily accepted police or ONS figures for the 92% claim but you had to go with some Daily Mail link. As I thought, it's false.

It still baffles me that people with money actually thought something like GB News was a good idea when peddling this culture war nonsense can be done much more easily (and cheaply) over social media and Youtube.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why would I engage with a proven hypocrite who consistently tells lies? 🤷‍♂️

You are clearly totally and blissfully unaware of the problems posed by Romanian and Polish gang crime in the UK - particularly London. On a pro rata basis, Polish and Romanian gangs pose the most significant threats to the UK in this kind of crime.

Don't take my word for it, then.

Conduct a cursory research for yourself, with sources you identify with, and you will be unable to reject what is happening on the ground.

• Advertisement

Says the man who wrongly labeled me a racist, as I said, you're a hypocrite.

If I made the claim that a majority of Nigerians were so low IQ that they fell for a charismatic political leader, you'd rightly call me racist.

I'm simply mirroring that logic back to the comments you made re: Brexit, low IQ, and Nigel Farage.

Replace Nigerians with English, and the logic stands.

The unusual thing is that you focussed on the English voting for Brexit, despite the fact that Wales was just as high opting to Brexit.

Even if racist didn't technically apply, xenophobic certainly would.

And again he lies lies and lies some more, you're unbelievable 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I live in London. Have done for years. All you're doing is spouting xenophobic drivel. It's pathetic.

I've no interest in doing you research for you.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I've already done the research, thanks.

The problem is that you are closing your mind to the problem of Romanian gang crime. Almost as if you're pretending it doesn't exist.

I could mention Italian gang crime, of course, as they are the largest contributors to gang crime in the European Union. But on a pro rata basis in the UK, Romanian gangs have posed the greatest threat with minor crime - such as ATM crime - and that is totally undeniable, no matter how much you hope it goes away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Here's the thing - I don't think that Farage is an actual racist , just as I don't think that Trump is an actual racist.

Neither of them are racist in the "Blood purity" race war horsesh!t sense but they, like a lot of other current right-wing high profile Political/Media types have recognised that stoke fearing of "the other" and pandering to the inate fear of change and difference from a substantial minority in their respective countries is a major money spinner.

So , because what they actually are grubby little charlatans interested only in lining their own pockets they happily trot along a very fine line that allows the racists listening to hear things they agree with , but is just opaque enough that they can boldly claim to be "the least racist person you've ever met" etc.

Neither men would cross the road to save one of their voters lives if their wasn't something in them . Trump wouldn't let 95%+ of his voters cross the door of his Golf clubs as they wouldn't "fit in" in his mind.

For Farage to be an actual racist he'd have to have a firmly held belief or opinion (as abhorrent as that belief would be) but he doesn't - not a single one outside of lining his own pockets and peddling influence.

Again, nothing.

Show me a statement from the police showing that these gangs are an existential threat to the UK as you say.

The problem is that you expect a plebian such as myself to just take what my elite conservative overlords say as gospel. When I ask questions, you seem unable to do anything but double down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Research" is not looking for the things you want to hear.

Here is a balanced analysis conducted by that titan of conservative orthodoxy, Channel 4.

Claim: 28,000 Romanians were arrested in the last five years in the Metropolitan Police area alone

This number is accurate (it’s 27,725, to be precise) and comes from another Met Police Freedom of Information release. This is based on the nationalities people use to describe themselves when arrested, hence the inclusion of a number of “countries” that no longer exist (the Irish Free State, British Central Africa) or indeed have never existed (Yanam).

The data has been very widely misreported and indeed Mr Farage got it slightly wrong again in today’s Telegraph ad.

The figure of 28,000 is for the number of arrests made over five years from 2008 to 2012, not the number of people. One shoplifter can be arrested and re-arrested dozens of times and each one of those arrests counts towards this total.

But of course this applies to all countries, and compared to others, Romania does not come out of these arrest figures covered in glory.

Only Poland saw more arrests of its citizens over those five years (nearly 35,000) and there are likely to be many more Poles living in the Met Police area.

We can’t be precise about this because the next population survey doesn’t come out until August next year (recent estimates from the Labour Force Survey suggest there are in the region of 180,000 working age Romanians in the whole of England, but there are big margins of error here).

The latest census data showed there were 579,000 Poles and 73,000 Romanians in England and Wales in 2011.

While the number and rate has dropped slightly, Romanians remain the fourth most numerous foreign group in the prison system, behind Poland (898 inmates) , Ireland (778) and Jamaica (711)."

Clearly, this analysis is out of date. It could be worse, it could be better.

But 28,000 arrests from Romanians despite the fact that there were only 73,000 Romanians in England and Wales at the time. The fourth most numerous nationality in UK prisons, too.

It's quite obvious there is a pro rata problem with crime from Romanians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Any mention of today's IPCC report on the tv channel? Can't bring myself to watch it on YouTube. Can't find any reference, positive or negative, on their website.

Not newsworthy enough?

It was featured at the beginning of tonight's Farage show (also discussed at the beginning of Wootton's show).

Farage argued that the climate should be taken seriously, but that the current report is "alarmist". He went on to argue about the predictions made by the UN in 1989, and how they turned out to be exaggerated and wrong, too.

Here is the feature:

What percentage of Romanians engage in ATM fraud? 92% of cases is a big number but I doubt the UK is going to collapse under the weight of these crimes as you insinuated.

From your link, there were 73,000 Romanians in England but less than 1,000 behind bars in 2011. Therefore, this is just hysterics as usual.

Surprised you have nothing more recent given how serious you stress this is. I wonder why the Tories slashed police numbers by over 20,000 or was that common sense conservatism?

• Advertisement

Just more nonsense then. Like the "I'm not against all vaccines" trope.

That was a massive mistake to cut police numbers.

Just because I'm a conservative doesn't mean I agree with everything a so-called "conservative government" does.

I would regard Boris Johnson's government as a mutated form of neo-Blairism, and not the kind of conservatism I would like to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Uggh. You asked for evidence and when you got it you dismissed it as you did when it was given via a daily mail link.

Personally I think it's a better idea not to have to deal with them at all than to recruit 20,000 police officers to manage them.

And now a little something on BLM

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So - Back to GB News and it's stats..

BARB data updates through August 1st now , and frankly - it's ugly..

Their rolling 4 week "reach" number has been dropping steadily each week since a peak of 3.6M in the 1st week of July (which would have been the 1st week when they actually had 4 weeks of data). They are now down about 32% from that level.

There's only 2 weeks of Farage numbers in the number so far , but it certainly doesn't look like he's done much of anything to help the top line numbers.

2.5M reach for the 4 weeks of July giving an average of about 625k total viewers (or viewing sessions) per week. Also , they average only 23 seconds per view!

For reference , for that same final week of July up to the 1st of August , BBC News had a 4 week Reach of 12.6M averaging 2 minutes 17 seconds per day

Or - 5 times as many viewers, each of whom watch 6 times longer than a GB News viewer.

Sobering reading for the Finance team I'd say.

The police officers weren't recruited to deal with a few hundred Romanians. Not sure where you got that from.

I'll pass on the wailing about BLM.

If their peak was in July, and not in the initial launch, that suggests to me that things are moving in the right direction.

I expect peaks and troughs, and in this initial period - the many millions of viewers is quite respectable.

I expect these figures to grow. I could be wrong. We'll see.

Let's assume the worst and GB News fails. That doesn't mean conservatism has failed, it means that a TV station has failed.

Conservatism will always triumph. That's why the Labour Party in the UK are struggling, and will continue to struggle, against the Conservatives.

The only major time since 1945 that the Labour Party triumphed was under Tony Blair, when he moved to the far right of the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You didn't seem to expect peaks and troughs when previously claiming their numbers would continue to rise. Instead what we're clearly seeing is that fewer viewers are tuning in to the station, and more importantly, on average they're only staying for a few seconds. Hell the few times I've switched over to it to see what they're at I barely have to watch close to 23 seconds before thinking "Why would anyone want to watch Dan Wootton interview Frenchy from Grease about the pandemic?"

The numbers aren't going through peaks and troughs. We can clearly see that even with Farage's numbers being included in those last two weeks, the channels overall numbers are falling pretty hard.

But now you've bizarrely switched to "Even if GB News fails, Conservatism will win!"

What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying the reason you supported GB News was because you felt it would push and propagate conservative views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its pretty clear that no matter what you will claim things are moving in the right direction.

If their peak was in July, and not in the initial launch, that suggests to me that things are moving in the right direction.

Dear me - Maths just really isn't your thing is it??

The figure shows the rolling 4 week TOTAL - the 1st week in July was their 4th week of broadcasting and included the first few weeks of "launch interest" traffic , which is why it's the highest week . The trajectory of the numbers has been catastrophically downward since week 2.

Things are absolutely categorically NOT moving in the right direction

So , now that you are beginning to accept the economic reality that everyone here has been patiently explaining to you and recognise that GB News is a dead TV channel walking you are now shifting to "Well , the TV channel may be a complete waste of money, but "conservatism" is winning"???

The conversation has never been about "Conservatism" , it's been about how pointless and stupid it is to launch a TV station aimed at a very small subset of the available audience and actively working to drive away anyone other than that narrow market.

This has always been a conversation about the financial folly of launching such a pointless unnecessary TV channel.

But on the whole "conservatism is winning" schtick - Show me a conservative led government in a country that doesn't use a FPTP Electoral system?

Hell - Show me one where the sitting government managed more than 50% of the vote??

Anywhere will do..

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You claimed they were responsible for 92% of ATM crime but that article said 92% of ATM fraud. There is much more ATM crime than simply fraud and I know this because I worked in retail banking in London for nearly a decade and never had an instance of fraud on our ATMs but did have a fair amount of crime.

It was a bait and switch and you have yet to actually back up your claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean if someone is going to copy nazi propoganda they can't be that surprised when people call them a racist. It is also a pretty exact copy.

Reads like a pretty crap parody of "if you only knew the power of the the dark side"

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It appears that Nigel Farage will be taking on A-level student grades on tonight's show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

€100k is taxed @20% for the first €35k minimum, and @40% thereafter, meaning €100k is taxed around €33k, i.e. less than 70% of the bullshit number you made up, you utter fraud.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/tax-relief-charts/index.aspx

Spinning the same old narrative that appears every year when A-level results are announced. How original.

No wonder you like Farage. His numbers are wrong too.

A-grades haven't doubled in number. Between 2015-2019 they were pretty steady around 26-28%. However, due to the pandemic, between more continual assessment of the year as a whole and not having a bad day at an exam or the pressure that comes with it, the numbers have been higher the last two years, 38% last year and almost 45% this year. So, not double.

But also, that number relates to getting one A-grade. "High achieving" students likely still got multiple A-grades, and still possibly did better than they would have through the same continuous assessment model. Regardless, isn't young people putting the work and doing well not exactly what you claimed you wanted? Do you oppose Farage on this point?

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is a marginal tax rate of 52%, made up of:

40% income tax

4% PRSI

8% USC

This applies to any income over roughly 70,000 euros.

The fact you are embarrassing yourself, over and over again on this issue, speaks volumes. You don't know the figures and casually exclude PRSI and USC as if they are insignificant.

Stop pretending you do, and focus on GB News perhaps.

Here's a sample calculation based on an income of 150,000 euros. Note how the combined tax obligation reaches 44% in this example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

And winning over much needed younger viewers in the process!

Cool. Pity the poster you quoted never mentioned €150k or anything near it. They said €100k is taxed at around 33% when you said it was 48%.

Why don't you input €100k in that revenue calculator and see what figure is payable, we can all see then if it's closer to your figure or his, instead of this intellectual dishonesty to try hammer home a point which you've failed and are continuing to fail to do?

I'll wait.

You're using a calculator for 150k to try argue against figures for 100k.

I've already stated that, in my own personal circumstances, I am effectively taxed at 48pc. It depends on other factors, too, but I won't go into those factors here.

That is the point I was making, and a simple calculation at 150,000 euros shows the breakdown and how it can quickly rise into the mid-40 percent range.

My central point was that, whether you're paying net 42pc, 45pc, or 48pc, that it's way too high - a total scam. That other poster disingenuously implied that a net combined tax in the mid-40s range was absurd. I have shown him that it's not absurd and is very much a reality for me!

But your original argument used 100k, on which you were entirely wrong claiming to be anywhere near 48%.

True, I should have stated at least 150,000 euros to be more precise in my language.

Again, I can only talk about my personal circumstances and that mid to late 40s range is a reality for me - and a disgusting reality, too, for that matter.

Ol' Bigger-Number-Eskimohunt strikes again!

Ya, it sounds suspiciously like Eskimo is typing in numbers until he gets the one he wants...

As I said, I should have clarified a higher number. I earn more than 100,000 euros and so I'm not even familiar with the net burden for someone with that income level. I rushed into that figure. My example should have stated a higher number, and the example I have - when you add PRSI and USC - which the other poster ignored, shows that it can become a substantial burden.

No, sorry, you challenged that other person and insulted their intelligence when they claimed you were talking rubbish (which you are). You

There is no figure above 100k I can enter into that calculator whereby the net liability is 48%.

No number.

Prove me wrong. Or admit you're talking sh1te.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement