Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

If the traffic increases in volume, does that mean the residents will need quadruple glazing? BOOM BOOM! 🤡

Dont be silly, I choose to live here because of its convenience, I have no problem with traffic, roads are designed and built to carry traffic and this road was safe to cycle on without any segregation.

Its not safe now for the reasons I have outlined and sticking a cycling lane that throws you onto busy narrow roads does nothing to encourage anybody to cycle rather than walk.

Use your thinking cap and think how much better it would have been to improve existing cycling infrastructure in the area.

That cycle lane is going to be covered in wet leaves and conkers shortly, just like it was last winter, I will be squashed up against the kerb on the opposite side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So the cycle track is pointless because it serves more than your personal driveway?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why would you be squashed up against the kerb? Why wouldn't you just take the lane. It's downhill that side after all, so you'll have no problem keeping up to speed?

Once more, it went to public consultation and upgrading the existing options was not a popular choice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The "cars blaring horns " are a figment of your imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dublin City Council officially appealing. Not sure anyone's mentioned it yet.

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1424726015344058379

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even with a public interest expedition, they'll be doing well to get a hearing in less than 12 to 18 months. And even then I think the chance of an appeal succeeding are about the same chance as the original JR failing.

It would be quicker and ultimately necessary in any case, for the Government to legislate for a subset of road development to cover cycleways of all types and provide for appropriate assessment and statutory consultation procedures. That could be achieved in a year.

Its uphill from the village and I am bored with this all now.

You have to cross a busy junction to get into the lane and then as suggested pick up your bike and run across the road to get to your house.

once again there is no room on the opposite side of the road to cycle unless like me you ignore horns blaring and cars practically touching you.

The cycle lane is empty most of the day, it goes nowhere and people choose the many off road alternatives rather than cycle on convent road or other narrow roads or Lower Carysfort Avenue.

And I am not even paid for my opinion on how not to waste public money snd how not to fix what isnt broken.

At least though we still have a two way road, Avoca legal types saw off the challenge to make their road one way, Deansgrange Road people might not succeed in not having their locality destroyed, its just desperate.

No horns blaring, and no cars nearly touching you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

once again there is no room on the opposite side of the road to cycle unless like me you ignore horns blaring and cars practically touching you.

This remains the fault of poor driving and not the cycle lane. You should be advocating for better driver awareness of the laws and better enforcement of them, not railing against cycle lanes.

As to the cycle lane being unused, it is almost impossible to know that unless you have counters etc set up. By the very nature of their greater efficiency cycle lanes will often seem empty when transporting as many, or more people then a "busy" road.

• Advertisement

Thats your opinion and not the reality, it doesnt matter how many times you belittle whats happening on that road, its a serious problem and someone is going to be badly injured or killed.

Take the Lane and they can’t almost touch you. Ignore beeping, as it’s only a noise. Problem sorted.

Maybe it’s your fault that your neighbours had to get triple glaze for the noise because I’ve never heard of a cyclist being responsible for so much alleged noise.

And it will remain 100% the fault of the driver. What do you not understand about this? A driver who will attempt a dangerous overtake and blare their horn at a vulnerable road user should not be on the road and you can remove all the cycle lanes you want, they will remain a menace.

Never had any issue cycling on this road for over twenty five years, cycled to the village with traffic and cycled back with traffic.

The drivers are stuck behind cyclists and are naturally frustrated when they see the empty cycling lane, I have sympathy for them and the fault isnt their driving, the fault is whoever installed this going nowhere cycling lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

If the driver carries out a dangerous manoeuvre then they are responsible for it not the cyclist or the designer of a bike lane.

The fault is 100% their driving and if they actually are acting as you describe they are a menace and a danger and absolutely deserve to be put off the road. If a moment's delay on the road results in you losing your temper, and risking causing death by dangerous driving then you should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car.

Seriously - listen to yourself. You have sympathy for drivers delayed by a few seconds on a 200m stretch of road who then try to kill people because of it?

It's the reality of my experience on that road. What days and times are you getting the horns blaring and cars nearly touching you?

Every single time I cycle on the road opposite the cycle lane, never happens anywhere else I cycle so its the fact that I choose not to cross the road to access the cycle lane that is the red rag here.

Its terrible driving and I wouldnt do it but i can understand the frustration of being stuck behind a bike with no way to overtake and then driver sees an empty cycle lane.

Some drivers believe cyclists shouldnt be on roads if there are cycle lanes installed and some will drive aggressively to show their annoyance.Its the cyclist who will come off worst so care should be taken that motorists lives are not made impossible as a result of providing cycling infrastructure.

Care should be taken to ensure those drivers are taken off the road permanently.

Easier said than done.

No more two way cycling lanes is the answer unless there is adequate room on the opposite side of the road for people whose destination is that side of the road.

Some of us do not want to be pedestrians, hopping off bikes to cross roads and then running across the same road again with our bikes, its a pain and so off putting.

• Advertisement

No more two way cycling lanes is the answer unless there is adequate room on the opposite side of the road for people whose destination is that side of the road.

There is adequate room. There just isn't adequate room for a driver to perform an unsafe overtaking manoeuvre while staying within their lane. No one should ever be overtaking a cyclist without crossing into the opposite lane.

There is not a single road in Dublin where you can safely overtake a cyclist without going into the opposite lane. Ergo it doesn't matter how narrow the road is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's kinda weird how a thread has managed to go on for page after page after page about a single cycle lane based on one person's misconceptions about it.

Didn't happen to me when I cycled up the road on Sunday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There's obviously something wrong with you then! 😀

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

There isnt room to cycle, there was enough room left for two cars to pass each other and thats it.

I have witnessed people being driven at in order to get them up onto the footpath, if you are local you expect this by now but if you exit and turn left as a person unfamiliar with the road you will get a fright, none of this was taken into consideration when this daft cycle lane was installed.

If people living on the road had been leafletted they might have had an input, too late for us now but hopefully locals will organise themselves in Deansgrange and Stillorgan Park before any other undemocratic measures are forced on residents.

we do have to live with the consequences unlike Andrew who drops by on a wet sunday morning en route to somewhere else.

On your bike Andrew, you havent a clue.

I live in this area, Andrew cycles through on a sunday morning, he agrees with you so he is right, typical of the cycling lobby.

And no cars cant overtake because of oncoming traffic, its a busy road,not according to Andrews idyllic little outing though😄😀, the nonsense of an outsider telling a local what their roads are like.

And again there arent too many two way cycle lanes that join up with nothing in Dublin, its the presence of this lane that causes what I am describing, it has never happened to me anywhere else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There isnt room to cycle, there was enough room left for two cars to pass each other and thats it.

How exactly can there not be room to cycle but there is room to fit two cars (one going in each direction)?

As for the rest of the above post, again your issues are directly derived from poor driving yet you continue to blame infrastructure. For what it's worth, that driver behaviour does also exist on roads without cycle lanes. It is the driver not the road that leads to agressive driving behaviours.

I would also question the rationale behind the "And no cars cant overtake because of oncoming traffic, its a busy road". If it is busy then the overtake will simply let the driver get to the next set of red lights quicker. Again the issue is with the driver. Poor driving behaviour against a vulnerable road user and you can be damn sure that they will not blare their horn at or agressively overtake the car ahead who is also blcoking their free movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

And now the conversation will reset and the same points as before will be repeated!

You're completely correct: drivers are responsible for their own behaviour.

This thread is a bit mad now, and certainly doesn’t have anything to do with cycling infrastructure anymore. It’s all to do with drivers in the Blackrock area. Surely a thread should be in the motors forum for these rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

whilst the last few pages are going nowhere, is there not a point that when barrier protected cycle lanes are provided kerbside there are accesses / breaks at every driveway, but when a two way cycle lane is built on one side of the road, the residents on the opposite side are not necessarily given direct access. I think this could be an issue if there are long sections with no breaks.

I live beside the CMR and have seen a few cyclists in the traffic lane being aggressively horned by cars behind them. It does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

I should add, I wouldn’t be surprised if the council would provide a break/ access if the problem was highlighted to them. There were a number of modifications made to the CMR including extra breaks after it went in.

has the council been contacted?

Advertisement