Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is it you're going for parts now? Not just GPU's, but everything.

Options
  • 10-08-2021 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm planning a new build with:

5800X

X570 Board

32 gigs of RAM

1TB SN850

3070TI

011 Dynamic

Seasonic 850 Gold PSU

I've tried MaxBurns in the past, don't like them

CustomPC/Torque, or whatever the shite they're called now I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Komplett doesn't have what I'm looking for and are overpriced anyway

MemoryC are alright, but they're a bit on the thievey side too.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Try amazon germany/france/italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JamieYFG

I forgot to mention Amazon. I've been looking at parts on the German site. Finding parts isn't an issue there, but finding parts that I can get prime delivery with is another thing. Prime might cover one or two things, and the rest I'm paying in or around 20e PER item. I'll look on .fr and .it.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

There's plenty of competitive non-Amazon shops in Europe, many of them in Germany. Just do a search on geizhals.de for your parts and they'll pop up.

If they don't ship to Ireland, there's always Mailbox.de.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Afaik an Irish resident can't avail of Amazon prime delivery from the German site anyway.

I've had several items in the basket on the .de site I haven't pulled the trigger on yet (due to issues getting a GPU), and I have several items selected: Motherboard, 2 RAM kits, SSD and CPU it if I go to checkout it shows standard delivery for the lot at about €11 and €13.30 for express option.

Are you planning on placing individual orders for each of the items instead of ordering most of them together?

Btw I didn't have a tower case in my basket (planning to get that via amazon uk site which gives me free delivery and cheaper price), but I tried adding it and the delivery costs shot up another €20 to over €30 overall. Obviously such a bulky high volume package incurs large shipping costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

This site compares all the amazon countries prices https://www.hagglezon.com/

Everything together yeah. Seems as though I'm still paying nearly 20 per component though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grumpy old man

Why limit to Amazon IT/DE/FR ?

Is Amazon UK charging more?

Amazon UK ships the product excluding UK VAT but including Irish VAT.

So; so only slightly more expensive that than the situation before brexit.

Computers and parts are all zero duty rated, so no issues there.

Generally I would buy from Amazon UK for all the reasons you listed. There are just certain times with some products (like graphics cards recently) where Amazon UK had no stock or prices so high the conveniences and better shipping don't compensate. It's worth checking them all for big purchases.

I was going to get a Ryzen 5600x from mindfactory in Germany. Price was €262 and with both mindfactory and mailboxde shipping costs would probably work out at about €290 total.

Then I seen they were on offer from Amazon UK for £249 which would be about €300 so was just going to get it from there to save the hassle of using mailboxde until I seen an 'import fees deposit' of €67.40 added on the checkout order summary details.

I bought a corsair PSU for about £78 the previous month from the UK Amazon and didn't get this charge added, so is it only specific items that incurs this charge. It seems to be 23% of the item value so is this effectively the customer paying both Irish and UK Vat (already included in price) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think they changed the legislation recently didnt they ?

Not sure, but the way it used to work was that the price would adjust to a slightly higher amount when you reached checkout as the VAT rate applied would switch from 20% to Irish 23%, but now, Irish VAT is just tacked onto the whole price via 'Import fees deposit'.

It seems to only affect items above a certain price from what I've seen too. I'm planning on buying the tower case from amazon uk and that costs about £70, no import fees are shown. I presume there's some lengthy process where you can claim the UK VAT against Irish VAT, but don't want to get into that so I've sent the order for the Ryzen through mindfactory just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

It's because you are not buying it from Amazon. It usually happens when the product is sold by another seller but fulfilled by Amazon. If it is sold and fulfilled by Amazon, you still see the import fee deposit but the base price has the UK VAT removed.

It's definitely an error on Amazon's side. Try putting some other PC parts in a basket like RAM. You won't see any import fees. You should see them removing UK VAT from the price and adding on Irish VAT (slightly higher than UK).

There are no import duties on PC parts.

You're right, Amazon getting sneaky. When you click to buy the 5600x, it looks as if Amazon is selling it to you. It's not from the "other sellers" list. But at the payment screen, in tiny letters at the bottom: "Sold by:Spring Distributors"

Ah just noticed that now, and I was just about to reply to Laphroaig that amazon itself were fulfilling the order.

Advertisement