Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glounthaune Carrigtwohill cycle path not fit for purpose

Options
  • 10-08-2021 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

The new cycle path has made it more dangerous for quicker cyclists. Sometimes I cycle from Cork city to Carrigtwohill or other times I get the train to Glounthaune and cycle the rest of the way to Carrigtwohill.

Before the path, a cyclist did not have to worry about vehicles coming from side roads or out of the petrol station as vehicles had to stop at the junction. I can cycle along at a decent enough pace (30-40km on the flat), now if I use the cycle path, I have to constantly look out for vehicles which might not see me, and maybe slow down at each junction, this actually makes the path slower and more dangerous to use than cycling on the road, defeating the purpose of active transport.

It's grand for a leisure cyclist or someone with kids but due to the ambiguity of who has priority at junctions, regular cyclists will continue to use the road, or might even give up cycling due to the hostility they receive due to not using the path, wasted opportunity really.

Post edited by timmyjimmy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is fit for a purpose, slow moving bikes and kids. Not you.

Speed merchants and wobbly kids can't co-exist on one path.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

There is no issue with mixing with slow moving bikes and kids on greenways like the Waterford one, everybody gets on just fine most of the time. My sister uses it everyday to get in and out of work from Clonea to Dungarvan. What's great about the Waterford one is that you don't have to worry about vehicles popping out at random junctions.

I used the Glounthaune-Carrigtwohill one yesterday and today and didn't see one kid, people will use it get to work too, not just recreationally, doubt there'll ever be too many kids on it at 7:30 in the morning. The real problem here is the ambiguity at junctions, what's the point of greenway if you have to stop at every junction, even for slow moving bikes and kids?

Anyways, quicker cyclists will most likely continue to use the road due to the junctions, not great if it only works for some cyclists.

Post edited by timmyjimmy on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've used it a couple of times and have found the same issue with having to slow for some of the junctions. TBH, there isn't really that many, so I think it's just a case of living with it. I think anyone who holds up traffic and creates a hazard by cycling on the now narrower road is being quite the bleep....

Most of the junctions have good visibility and low traffic volumes, so it's easy to adjust your speed and not be slowed down much. That new estate by Harper's Island is a nightmare though, and will only get worse. Even if they gave cyclists/pedestrians priority, I wouldn't trust drivers to adhere to it. Hopefully they'll engineer better visibility or some other solution in the future.

Advertisement