Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping young daughter turning off Track my phone

• 09-08-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

we have family sharing set up for all of us and my youngest son daughters phone has screen time restrictions set up.

I have followed al the online guides to lock the changing of “share my location” within privacy settings. It has a passcode set , yet she can simply go into the app “find my phone” and stop my wife or I from seeing her location .

anyone overcome this?

iphone 11 and ios 14.7.1

thanks

redman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

Give her privacy you narcissistic creep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Why are you tracking her? Do you not trust her? Sounds like an episode of Black Mirror. You wearnt tracked as a child, why do you think its acceptable to do it to your own kids. Controlling parents make sneaky children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OP you might try disabling access to the app according to the instructions here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What happens when kids vanish as its a bad society out there and trying to keep an eye on loved ones to try and keep them safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Simple rule. All phones in the house belong to the parents until the designated user reaches 16. Parents set the rules, and if the child chooses not to follow them, the lose the use of the phone till they change their mind. Doesn’t have to be a big deal. Same as when they start driving. Work away there and get your practise and a bit of independence, but if you’re caught hooring around, driving can wait till you’ve copped on a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

if my daughter turned off the find my feature - she knows the phone would be taken off her and some of the independence she has earned would be stripped back. Trust is earned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Some of those replies don’t even deserve a response and I didn’t give any background . Accusations with out understanding a situation, this is a tech forum and I’m asking a tech question . Don’t need to justify myself to any keyboard warrior trolls jumping on presumptions. Some of you are sick in your own heads imho

Thanks one eyed jack , i tried that but not working and to the others appreciate the supportive answers! I have the query in with apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No matter what you do to stop her disabling the app she can easily stop you from tracking her. So what use is your tracking app if its easy to defeat tracking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

It's not a tracking App ... the find my app is based on consent of the devices owner to share its location.

there might be some third party apps available but I've not used them

im assuming the reason you can stop who can see your location even in a family group is that allowing a single family member control it could lead to more complications than it is worth ... think about spouses etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Found this link which might help but as it says it's not foolproof. I'd also encourage real world solutions over technology ones, mainly as they will always seek out ways to get past restrictions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have to agree there's no real technical solutions for this as young adults will always get around them.

Your are better off realising the value of the phone with her. Ala phone is permanently removed for X days with any offence such as this. And yes I say offence.A phone comes with responsibilities as well as rights.

If there is no real consequences then frankly what's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks all for the helpful comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Like the Apple version of Tile is so that people can't stalk others. The person in possession of the device should have full control of what it's sending to who.

Again easily defeated.

If you don't trust your child enough that you need to track them should you be letting them out at all?

Advertisement