Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

What a finish there, I was sure Almeida was goosed there a few times. First WT win for him I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yep. Fair play to him. Ulissi probably empty after the effort to catch him. Good chance he could take the win overall here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In case anyone missed it in the Vuelta thread. Velogames league created:

League Name: Belt of spanners 2021

League Code: 866227521

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Win for Gaviria today in Poland really happy for him. Another guy who has had his issues in the last few years. Can't believe he's only 26, feels like he's been around a lot longer.

• Advertisement

Evenepoel fairly animated today then goes and does a Brent van Moer down the wrong laneway.

Then gets back on and leaves them for dust!!!!

Morkov loving this, he's basically doing laps of honour after the Olympics waving and taking in the cheers on his own out the back.

Peloton has to pull over to leave Remco by he laps them.

• Advertisement

Impressive from Remco but is that the kind of race that tells us anything? Would have thought the Vuelta would have been a perfect test if he is in that kind of form. Anyway time to *cough* pop over to France to watch the climax of todays Tour of Poland stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Tour of Denmark mightn't tell us much but I think it would be a good win for Remco's morale. After the Lefevre brainfart of Evenepoels first race back after serious injury being the Giro, his confidence could probably do without risking another Grand Tour kicking while he gets his mojo back.

Wow the helicopter shots of the peloton riding the narrow road through the cut fields in Denmark are something else. Shots of the lads getting launched into the fields in a crash not so much.

10th place for Ben Healy at the Tour de l'Avenir prologue today. I was convinced this was listed as being on GCN and Eurosport but it's not there now????

EDIT: Actually this is what it said when I went checking the different countries content on GCN

"13 August 2021 - 22 August 2021: Tour de l'Avenir (Live broadcasts start from 21 August 2021) (Live & on demand)"

So they're going to show the last two stages?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Have half an eye on the race in Belgium at the moment, the lead car is playing this really annoying advertising jingle non stop. I'd hate to be the lads in the break stuck listening to that all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pinot finally back racing today in France, first time since April. Sprint stage today so he finished in the bunch but good to see him back racing.

Must be a covid thing and the fact that la Vuelta is early this year but there seems to be a big overlap in racing for what is normally a quiet enough time of year racing wise during August??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Finally coverage of Tour de l'Avenir on Eurosport/GCN. Forgot how spectacular Croix de Fer is.

EDIT: The finale was brilliant, track stands and everything on the final ascent !!!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Highlights of today's stage of l'Avenir https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/tour-de-l-avenir-stage-8-highlights-tobias-halland-johannessen-wins-again-and-holds-gc-lead_vid1529728/video.shtml featuring what could have been a much worse crash for the British rider on the descent.

Healy was nearly 15 minutes down today so well out of the top 10. Another tough day tomorrow so maybe we might see some Irish interest in a break.

I think if the rumours of Uno X wanting to go world tour are true the likes of Qhubeka and a couple of others need to be worried about there place in the top tier of racing. Uno X look to have serious talent coming up.

Strange scenes in Belgium, race halted due to a house fire from the looks of it, emergency services blocking the road. From what I can make out Remco will be given 35 seconds on the restart. No idea how much was left to go as I was dipping in and out of it and it's Flemish commentary.

EDIT: Actually it was a car on it's side on fire at the side of the road they were dealing with . Hopefully nobody badly hurt.

Some fun in the Brussels Cycling Classic. The breakaway split in two when most of them followed the motorbike and went the wrong way. Meanwhile Aime de Gendt and Remco Evenepoel got it right and are clear as Remco heads into his hometown. Nice wet cobbles too.

Watching the racing in Belgium, 7 man break with 2 minutes and 20km to go with Remco, Gilbert, Campenaerts, Hirschi and some others. T junction, Remco goes left with de Gendt the other 5 go right which was not the right way. Think they followed the moto.

Gotta love Belgium. Supporters cafes. Cycling mad. And Remco is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Remco, how many races do you think you'll win this week?"

"Yes"

Catching up on the other races from today. Bretagne Classic played perfectly by Cosnefroy in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Watched the last 60 odd km last night. Great racing on great roads. And people want these types of roads out of the grand tours!

Benelux Tour (Eneco/BinkBank of old) starting today. Decent looking start list, I see Dumoulin is starting with a number ending in 1 so might contest the overall but hard to see beyond Remco with the way he's been going in the last week. Pan flat stage today from the looks of things so time enough tuning in around 3:30 I think.

• Advertisement

Well that wasn't the flat boring stage I was expecting, should have remembered about the crosswinds. Handbags at the end with Remco giving Vermeersch an earfull on a couple of occasions after the stage ended. The neutral service wheel change was a shocker. Not sure what went on with Sagan and his crashed but he was pissed.

Another cracker of a race in France today too for the womens race.

Advertisement