Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

On top of that, there are numerous loopholes for reducing the tax burden on such sums... It does seem like a person is just making stuff up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Those loopholes only work for actual earnings not fictitious earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have no doubt eskimohunt earns as much as he says he does. His posts elsewhere on Boards confirm this. However to keep the discussion civil I've decided not to take posts he's made elsewhere and use them in discussion here because then the thread could turn into a real clusterf*ck (more so than it often has). I suggest we all do similar.

But just to make this point, not only do his posts confirm his earnings, they also confirm he knows nothing about taxes (as do his posts on this thread), so let's not go too far down this rabbithole. It's not worth it, and not relevant to GB News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There's nothing to talk about with GBnews. The only half decent ratings they get are at 7pm to 8pm, posters will spring to action, tell us how wonderful that one hour segment was and how rating are sky rocketing and you tube views are astronomical. And then that's it for another twenty four hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

We shouldn't forget, EH is a very successful business owner, indeed a whizz kid leading a life of considerable luxury, so he's most likely the beneficiary of annual dividends or some other form of fat cat remuneration and wouldn't have a very good grasp of stuff like income tax that only really applies to the hoi polloi and little people. I imagine once you've made your first million that it's very easy to lose touch with things, misplace a decimal point here and there. Wouldn't hang a man for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Given how he counts viewers as cumulative over the course of a month I wonder if he actually earns as much as he thinks he does or was just adding up the bank account balance each day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The first sentence is it in a nutshell. GB News was supposed to tigger the libtards with a tsunami of edgy commentary and memes to the point where they'd be barely coherent. Instead, it's just been a big "meh" and the one person who barely resembles a respected journalist jumped ship when this floater just languished on the surface.

It's different in the US where the repeal of the fairness doctrine under the Reagan administration gave the commentariat time to grow and entrench themselves prior to the invention of the internet. The result is that you have what is effectively a propaganda network with the featured of a trolling YouTube account laden with all of the expenses of the former and none of the benefits of the latter.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I certainly wasn't anticipating this thread turning into a diatribe on my personal life / income, but there you go! 🙃

To briefly answer some of the posts above; let's not forget that those calculators are limited in detail, there are many other tax-related factors to consider in my conclusion of the 48pc mark. Furthermore, the example I referred to earlier was 44pc, too - sufficient for this discussion to establish that I deem these kinds of figures too high. That was my whole point. Indeed, I believe 40pc is too high and stifles individuals/businesses. Third, it's absolutely true that - as Penn says - even quite recently, I didn't have quite a good grasp of certain business concepts, as well as tax etc., but that's true of anyone with any sort of learning curve. There's no shame in that whatsoever. In terms of the sarcastic and borderline aggressive posts, I won't expend the energy needed to reply to them. I'll put those comments down to some sort of envy / jealousy.

But that's enough of my personal life / finances; it's gone too far now.

On the GB News front, it appears that Farage will also be discussing Johnson's remarks on Thatcher and the miners:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not clear what Farage's objective is here unless it's just base pandering. He's cut from the same neoliberal cloth that had Thatcher and the Tories devastate these communities in the first place. Since they voted for the same party again, they should have known what to expect from Eton & Oxbridge-educated Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, ie indifference at best.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I'm not sure why anyone would find Johnson's comments offensive.

It was clearly tongue in cheek and, on some level, correct in terms of the relationship between closing the mines and improving the environment.

I think the problem is that he's whitewashing the closure of the mines and the ensuing economic devastation to make it out to be some sort of Thatcherite environmental stand when it's clearly correlation.

I'm not saying it's offensive and any miners complaining about it probably voted his party in so my sympathy is limited.

Leaving aside the fact that Thatchers policies were in no way driven by even the remotest concern about the environment, you can also argue that the benefits of closing fossil fuel sites were somewhat cancelled out by leaving entire communities to rot that then forced thousands of people out to add to the choke holds in the bigger towns and cities. Filletting their manufacturing sector has pretty much had the same consequence while also ensuring the uks carbon footprint could simply be exported to Asia.

Farages concern for the miners is very touching, though. I know the fishermen really appreciated it when it was their turn.

That's where I'd disagree with both you and Farage, who are on the same page here it seems.

Ultimately, we cannot live in the past and society must move on. We are witnessing the same phenomenon these days with technology transforming roles / and taking roles away from people. Just like we cannot stop the advance of technology, we shouldn't hark back to the days when technology was not around to do these roles.

It's an inevitable consequence of progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just struck me that almost 2 months in to the GB News adventure, and there hasn't been a single topic they introduced, uncovered, or gave significant time to which has generated a response from any political figure or has been taken up by another station or paper to delve deeper in to it or to giver an alternative view.

They've been in the news for 3 things since they launched. Disciplining a guy for taking the knee in support of footballers who experience racist abuse, Andrew Neil going on sabbatical after just a couple of weeks and the hiring of Farage.

That's it, no calling truth to power, no uncovering topics that business or industry would like to keep hidden, just the above as their supporters bleat on about being anti-woke. I think they could end up being hoisted by their own petard in that they went to such efforts to sell themselves as something, that that's all people see them as and the appetite for people who can offer nothing more than simply complaining about others is gonna be quite small long term.

It would be like hiring a contractor for a renovation who can do nothing more than blame the last person who worked on the house.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's just affirmation of an existing viewpoint - They aren't trying to speak "truth to power" , they just repeat the thing that they believe their audience want to hear , get the response they want (albeit an extremely small and quiet response) and then move on to say the next thing.

The GB News audience are the crowds in "The Life of Brian" , waiting to be told how to f*ck off (oh Lord) - If of course by "crowds" you mean the Popular front of Judea.

None of this was inevitable. You're excusing successive, mainly conservative governments for abandoning these communities. They could have invested in these areas to retain people and create new jobs but they were too focused on deregulation and handouts for the wealthy.

It's frankly silly to frame it as trying to stop technological progress. Germany shows that a strong manufacturing sector can be both viable and a boon in economic terms. The only time conservatives have shown interest in these areas is when they can get a migrant-blaming vox pop for the cameras so they can take pot shots at Labour.

The inevitable consequence of progress, in the neoliberal sense of the word, is the ever quickening gradual destruction of the planet. Whatever Farages motives for buttering up mining communities, i can assure you they have no correlation with anything I feel about it. Another right wing zealot stoking up long held grievances among working class communities earns nothing but derision from me. The thing about Johnson's quip is that, as with almost every tricky subject, it betrays the fact that he really has no policies or sincerity when it comes to tackling the major issues. Easier to just deflect with a dumb joke. No way these clowns are serious about anything while they continue to be beholden to fat cat billionaires. Farage is a mere sideshow.

From the little bits I've seen, their whole schtick seems to be about "you.... the ordinary people....", thereby trying to drive home to their audience that they are the ordinary people, and everyone else is an "other".

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where you get this impression. It's almost as if you're feeding off a stereotype about the channel, without actually watching it. If you do enter the channel, it's probably for 10 seconds. You presumably have no real idea about the channel and what it offers. It's pure stereotype.

From what I've seen, the conversations and debates are far more vigorous. Last night, for instance, Dan Wootton had a panel of guests - all of whom were making their case from their own perspective. Often, the views contrasted to the point of being polar opposite.

I see the same with the Farage show. At the beginning when he introduces a topic, he invited someone pro and someone against - as you would want and expect. Last night, it was two opposing views on the climate report that was issued.

This idea that they only talk from one angle, with no opposing views, is false. There is a far wider range of discussion than you find on many other channels.

Talking Pints; though unsure who today's guest will be.

Jim Davidson was replaced by Senator Ted Cruz the other week, I presume that Davidson will be invited back on at some stage in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I believe I did?

He is perfectly entitled to hold the view that GB News will be deceased in a couple of weeks time.

But there are alternative facts that suggest that GB News is here to stay, not least their recent expansion etc.

As I said, I could be entirely wrong! Let's wait and see. Nobody can predict the future, so you should be more cautious about that kind of certainty. I'd question your own interpretation and bias if I were you. Something else could be at play.

Whereas I'm being as objective as possible, and open to the possibility I could be wrong. And that's the way most people tend to be.

All I know is that I'm watching Farage tonight at 7pm and Dan Wootton's show from 9-12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Good to see it being highlighted.

Grade inflation is out of control both in Ireland and the Uk.

Almost half of all A-level results awarded A or A* as grade inflation reaches record high

A total of 44.8 per cent of grades in the UK were awarded either an A or A*, up from 38.5 per cent in 2020 and 25.5 per cent in 2019.

Courses have been continually dumbed down in schools and colleges over the last 15 years, its almost impossible to fail a college course these days.

Precisely.

Not to mention that too many students are in college (often doing useless degrees) and not enough is done to promote and invest in technical colleges / apprenticeships.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well I guess by having them both he is kinda being balanced by giving us both sides of the "how to treat your wife" spectrum.

Davidson who cheats on his multiple wives and physically assaults them and Cruz who not only allows Trump to repeatedly call his wife ugly and accuse his father of being involved in the Kennedy assassination he then fawns over him and helps him try to overthrow his countries Government.

Nigel Farage , bring balance by having an "Old School Alpha" and a solid gold "Beta Cuck" on his show.

Awesome.

It's obvious the spike in the last two years is attributable to the pandemic and the necessary move to continuous assessment rather than end-of-year exams. The grades were pretty static prior to that (based on a chart posted earlier today regarding UK grades on BBC News).

The pandemic necessitated a different form of assessment, which has resulted in a different grading system, which has produced different results. However, college/university courses will most likely adjust their entry requirements based on same which will balance it out. Even in the future, people who got their results in pandemic years basically have an asterix next to their name.

Grade inflation is not "out of control", there's simply been monumental changes made in the last two years due to the pandemic, one of the consequences of such was higher grades compared to non-pandemic years.

• Advertisement

Was there ever any doubt given the contribution so far?

Just the type of people their intended audience look up to.

Jesus Christ - Alternative facts!!!!!! - Surely someone has to have Bingo now lads??

No , there are not Alternative facts - There are facts and then there are your opinions and hopes/dreams/wishes.

The facts are that GB News is circling the drain - No one is watching outside of a what is in the grand scheme of things a really small number tuning in for 4 hours a week to watch Nigel Farage gurn at the camera and pretend to be a "common man" suppin' his pint of ale.

From a low number to start with , less people are now watching GB News now than did in the 1st week or two of it launching , there have been less viewers each and every week since it launched . That data is not open to debate , because they are facts.

You hope/wish that it's successful which is all fine and dandy - I mean I hope and wish to win the Euromillions tonight which probably won't happen as it is a 1 in many millions chance , but I probably have a better chance of doing that than GB News has of turning a profit.

You are not being objective in any way shape or form , objective would be - "Things aren't looking great right now , hopefully they can just hold what they've got for now and build an audience in the autumn when TV viewing numbers tend to increase , I really want them to be successful."

That's an optimistic and objective statement.

You quoting meaningless YouTube data and out of context cheer leading tweets from Guido Fawkes is the absolute opposite of that - It is fact free cheer-leading , no more no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Barb figures are not facts.

BARB relies on a sample of 5,300 households – about 12,000 people in total – to represent the viewing habits of the entire UK, selecting them on factors like age, number of children, ethnicity, house size and many others to help ensure they give a realistic cross-section of the country.

This means each of these 12,000 people – the so-called ‘BARB panel’ – have a lot of viewing power. If one of them tunes into Strictly Come Dancing on Saturday night, to BARB 5,000 people have just done the same.

There are about 5200 BARB-monitored households from a total of around 27 million TV-equipped homes.

Youtube views on the other hand are in fact measurable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Tuned in about 15 minutes ago. One of the guest mics is not working and they are only faintly picked up by the other guest/presenter mics.

Now a guest on a Zoom type call with lots of glitches and noise.

They are coming up to two months on-air this week and they are still suffering basic production errors like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Come off it, BARB is universally accepted as the defacto measurement of broadcast TV viewership in the UK for decades now.

It is the basis on which advertisers base their ad spend - low BARB ratings, low ad sales.

Youtube clicks (subscriptions, views, comments) can be bought online for about €5 to the 1,000.

Youtube income is derived solely from a combination of number of views and the average view duration, the later being the most important factor and one which is known only to GB News themselves. Wonder why they aren't shouting it from the rooftops? Besides the point, you don't rely on Youtube monetisation to fund a broadcast TV channel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure we're close to the point where BARB is merely a tool for the liberal elite, woke SJWs or whatnot. When it reports bad numbers for preferred politics, then clearly it's the facts that are the problem. Certainly. 🙄

BARB was also the bees knees when the numbers looked like they were increasing at the start.

Unless someone can put forward a more accurate account of the viewing figures, then we should probably stick with them.

Farage is spot on; grade inflation on this scale is outrageous and pathetic.

It's also an insult to those who are genuinely exceptional students.

• Advertisement

Sounds like more "young people are terrible" tosh for people who think young people are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not really a case of something that isn't being covered elsewhere either, so not "alternative" in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. Inflate grades are definitely a problem.

Could end up with people who dont know what taxes are and with no idea how to run a business.

For sure. I'm the stupidest person in Ireland - haven't a clue what I'm doing. 😉 That said, I'd like to think that earning a substantial 6-figure sum - which is currently growing at a rate of 8% each quarter - means I'm doing at least something right. I expect personal attacks from poor, left-wing people who are too lazy to do the same and are jealous of others who have managed to do it.

Now back to GB News.

Excellent show from Farage tonight, particularly his Talking Pints segment and discussion with the miners of the north.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sure what use are school grades anyway considering, as we established, everyone is a poor worker and lazy? Sorry, not junior doctors, I believe they were ok. The rest of us need the firm guiding hand of Very Successful Men.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to say that I do believe that most - not all - workers are lazy. Particularly office workers and many in the service sector.

I've explained elsewhere that perhaps 10-15% of workers would fall into my definition of "hard worker".

Middle class men and women are among the laziest people in the country.

Well, you can use them to belittle people you despise, in this case the young. If they don't do well enough, you get to call them lazy. If they do, you can invent grade inflation. They can't win either way but GB News needs to please its miniscule viewership so it's going to pander to them.

I've no interest in anyone's alleged salary and business acumen, particularly the latter if they insist on shill for a TV news channel in 2021.

Well put it this way a smart person wouldn't post claims about their salary online where there are people who can find out if the claim is true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jeez didnt mean to touch a nerve esky, didnt think you boys would get triggered that quickly.

I highly doubt anyone is jealous of you. Your fantasy faux superiority is showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats not how statistics and market research works. You dont need to ask all 27 million households what they are watching to get an accurate picture of it. Instead they take a sample size that is representative of the population and statistically significant to extrapolate across the entire population. Opinion polling is the same, you dont need to poll everyone in the country to get an accurate picture. In fact doing so would be a complete waste of time and money because there are finite political parties to vote for, just as there are finite tv channels to watch.

In any case BARB is a not for profit that has been going for 40 years and is funded by the big British tv channels themselves, I think they know what they're doing at this stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement