Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

unkel wrote: »
    That certainly is not normal, something must have been wrong with that car. Unless you mean by light pressure that you barely touched it. It does need to be convinced you are holding the steering wheel, otherwise it will prompt you. Same in the system in use by Kia / Hyundai

If you really don't like having to touch the steering wheel regularly, there are ways to achieve that :p

To be honest I prefer to have both hands on the wheel in case of anything happening - not totally trusting of any system right now so I tried holding it the same way I'd hold the wheel in my e-Niro, lighter pressure, harder pressure - kept disengaging.

The Tesla rep said he couldn't find anything wrong with it but absolutely didn't feel up to scratch with Kia's implementation in my 45 minutes with the car.

Do we know if the GT line we're getting in Ireland is all wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Birka

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Do we know if the GT line we're getting in Ireland is all wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

its RWD

Its just an upgraded trim level - no performance difference worth mentioning

Birka wrote: »
    its RWD

Its just an upgraded trim level - no performance difference worth mentioning

Sweet. I saw that the AWD model would get a 5-10% hit on range most likely so that's great to hear. EVs are already quick enough for me tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

icom wrote: »

Definitely prefer the overall design of this over the Ioniq5.

Deposit down on a GT-line, wish me luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

What's the auto driving like in the Kia's do you know?
    I noticed you weren't that impressed with the Tesla system.

I have a Nissan Leaf with the propilot and find it great for motor way driving. It's limited of course to certain types of roads but it's such a relaxing way to get somewhere.

What's the auto driving like in the Kia's do you know?
    I noticed you weren't that impressed with the Tesla system.

I have a Nissan Leaf with the pro pilot and find it great for motorway driving. It's limited of course to certain types of roads but it's such a relaxing way to get somewhere.

I have a 2019 e-Niro and the auto-driving in it is great in my opinion.

- Smart Cruise Control works on basically any road and is so nice for stop-start traffic. It'll auto-hold you once you come to a stop and it's fairly easy to change your follow distance using the buttons on the steering wheel. It's not bulletproof, typically if I'm going from 60KMPH to a stop I'll disengage it and use the re-gen paddle or brakes to come to a halt because there have been odd vehicles it didn't recognise (like a truck carrying gas canisters). It is manual, it's not like Tesla where it'll read the speed limit signs using cameras but it's never felt like a hassle. Acceleration/deceleration is pretty smooth with it on too.

- Lane Follow/Keep assist typically kicks in when you're in SCC on a national/motorway road - anywhere it can reliably read the lines at speed. It's nice, it doesn't bounce me across the lanes and follows gradual curves of the road well. I'm not one to take my hands off the wheel but it certainly takes the stress out of driving long distances and makes it easier to maybe tap the screen to add a new destination or drink a coffee while you're driving and the roads clear.

I believe the Kia EV6 GT-line has 360 cameras and will allow the car to park itself while you're in it which is handy for someone like me who hates parking a big car like that. I would assume they've probably improved the reliability of the auto-drive features too but that's the only new feature like that I've heard of right now.

That's basically it. I don't have things like Summon, Auto-Lane change, auto-taking the off-ramp, etc but honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much given every single auto-drive system is driver assistance and not a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

...and you can upgrade the Kia's system to the much more advanced Open Pilot system from comma.ai. This costs about a grand for the hardware and it can easily be fitted DIY in a few minutes. Here's a guy somewhere in continental Europe driving his eNiro with this system for hundreds of km on a motorway only touching the steering wheel to change the speed on his cruise control or to indicate (the car will then do automatic lane changes)

This system is comparable to Tesla's AutoPilot and nothing else out there comes even close. But unlike the Tesla system, Open Pilot does not suffer from phantom braking and the lane keeping is better when there are no lane markings. Also, unlike the Tesla system, there is no nagging, you do not need to keep touching the steering wheel. Instead a driver facing camera monitors if the driver is paying attention.

• Advertisement

Thanks for both replies. Interesting times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭eagerv

Definitely prefer the overall design of this over the Ioniq5.

If I am allowed to change my mind :P I think I now prefer the design of the Ioniq 5. But both cars IMO are over fussy, personally I prefer the cleaner design and more more minimalist interiors of say Tesla or VW.

But both these Koreans will probably be great EVs and hard to beat..

eagerv wrote: »
    If I am allowed to change my mind :P I think I now prefer the design of the Ioniq 5. But both cars IMO are over fussy, personally I prefer the cleaner design and more more minimalist interiors of say Tesla or VW.

100%. They're being held up to the Model Y which if we're honest, similar range models are not gonna qualify for the SEAI grant post July so you'd be looking at €65k+ for a similar model putting it 10-15k above the EV6/Ionic 5 depending on trim before you even start looking at Enhanced Auto-pilot or Full Self Driving. I think Kia/Hyundai are onto a winner with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

Yeah both are fussy but the Kia is less fussy. I would rate the Kia though higher than the ID4 which is a bit plain . The Ariya to my mind tops them all though especially when it comes to the interior. Model Y comes a close second. All subjective of course,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarge77

Were you able to negotiate on price? I’m told there is nothing of list price and €1500 delivery/PDI which seems really high

Sarge77 wrote: »
    Were you able to negotiate on price? I’m told there is nothing of list price and €1500 delivery/PDI which seems really high

Nope. Mind you, the experience was pretty painless compared to what people in the US are going through pre-order-wise. I checked out the EV6 subreddit and there's a lot of unhappy campers.

Yeah both are fussy but the Kia is less fussy. I would rate the Kia though higher than the ID4 which is a bit plain . The Ariya to my mind tops them all though especially when it comes to the interior. Model Y comes a close second. All subjective of course,

I like the Ariya apart from the wood panelling with lights coming through. That's gonna age fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

eagerv wrote: »

Of the Koreans I reckon the Kia will date incredibly quickly, whereas the Hyundai weirdly might get away for it owing to being a throw back design. Which is bizarre, because when I look at the Kia (which I think I prefer) I’m reminded a lot of 80s design, but not in the good way.

I really like the ID exterior designs, particularly the ID4 which I think is a handsome car. I even love the colours, which aren’t the usual VW drab modelled on the Hugo Boss dress shirt selection. The interiors kill it for me as they are just poor in general and simply shocking for the price. The severe cost cutting is evident all round them. I’d seriously consider an ID4 if it had a Golf 7.5 generation interior. I’m still taken by the pedals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any of these around yet?

No, they are rolling off the lines in Korea at the moment, none in the wild here yet.

• Advertisement

Korean brochure up:

Let me guess. We can have any interior you want as long as it's black.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Good luck!

How much is the deposit

Is there any indication of delivery date?

Pulled the deposit and went for an ID3 Tour instead, smaller car with more range for less money swung it for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

More details on Kia Ireland website now : https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/ie/en/assets/contents/utilty/brochure/spechsheet/my21/EV6-Specifications.pdf

Kicks off @ 50K. Will need to see it in the flesh before buying. Called to dealer last week and he said to call back at end of September.

No indication of the GT pricing yet. I'd say €60k easily.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Down the bottom of the linked pdf : €54,345 + "premium paint" of 650 so 55k+ delivery

That's GT Line, not the GT though. There's three tiers and only two are on the sheet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I think it is alright, it's definitely the top spec performance model of the lot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say so too. A lot of money for a Kia, but probably a good €10k cheaper than a Tesla Model Y Performance.

Advertisement