Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

@Boards.ie: Odhran Any progress on dropdown menus for Topics, My Forums etc like on the old site? An option for "mark forum read" is also needed. I understand the motivation for moving to new platform but the whole process has been badly implemented and almost 3 weeks on basic features still missing - still no bold for unread posts/ plain for read posts which must be a minor issue as some boardsies have been doing it themselves here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200272/diy-desktop-site-customisation-use-at-own-risk#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

@Boards.ie: Odhran No PM's restored on Desktop for me! I am just getting the same error I posted earlier when I try to access them...

Not seeing any added navigation on the right hand side of the Desktop either...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is almost like they are not testing the fixes properly before deploying them. If the company I work for treated one of its customer the same way we would be at the litigation stage by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair to Vanilla, Odhran's point about the financial situation of the site explains that.

They clearly chose Vanilla as one of the cheapest options for the base platform, and figured they could "customise" the rest (which as I keep saying too probably puts them back in the same position as with the old site in that regard - except it'll potentially cause more issues when Vanilla change the underlying software)

The issues here lie entirely with those who made this decision in the first place, and whomever project "managed" the migration. It's obvious that there was either little to no testing in advance, or they went with the tried and failed "ah shure it'll be grand!" approach, figuring that the user base will do the testing and feedback for them anyway (if it works for Microsoft....)

Unfortunately they've completely misread (yet again) that user base, and when added to the usual tactics of ignoring anything that doesn't suit, we end up where we are now - a fundamentally broken site, angry and frustrated users, and they clearly have no ideas beyond "plow on regardless".

I certainly don't envy Mark or Niamh. As far as I can tell (from what I know of the staff structure) the responsibility for this mess lies squarely with Odhran.

The way things are going, I will be amazed if this site is still online by the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I know I'm being picky, but the category menu on the left hand side (on desktop) is ugly and feels out of place / different from the rest of the site. Is it temporary or is it here to stay. Not a fan of it's alignment. Feels like it should align with the Latest Post header.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hey, a New!

Thanks for the update. Small steps, big QOL

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What happened with the big navigation release?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Presume no news on fixing the notifications bell?

That's the single biggest issue for me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Why do ALL pages within Boards take so long to load?

Nothing to do with my broadband connection, or browser, by the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I do wonder were vanilla the cheapest bidder.

I fear it’s too late now to put things right, shame

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just spotted that pms from a deleted account weren't restored with the others. There were a handful of pms I'd sent on from my old account before I closed it as they had contact information I need from time to time. @Boards.ie: Odhran said they needed to be deleted by both parties but I certainly didn't delete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

Same here, I am down to between 6-11 seconds on loading most pages which is slightly better than the 11-16 seconds up to this week. 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Big improvement having the menu made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It is just a chore logging on here lately.

Will the button to set the site to desktop mode on mobile devices be returned? The mobile version is terrible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Everything.

Posting in a thread doesn't automatically bookmark it for notifications.

You get one notification per post, not per updated thread, so you quickly get to silly numbers of notifications.

On desktop, you have to click into every notification individually to clear them, when clicking into a thread should clear all notifications from that thread.

On mobile, clicking into your notifications immediately marks them all as read, which completely defeats the point.

Nett result is it's very hard to keep track of threads I've posted in, which means I'm far less bothered to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, I actually quite like it as a sidebar. The formatting could do with a bit of work, but I wouldn't object to it staying around. Though that could be just Stockholm Syndrome after a month of no dropdown menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

@Boards.ie: Odhran

• We have also pushed a temporary category navigation fix for desktop which you will find on the right hand side of the page. This is just until we get our permanent navigation live. We have a few bits to cleanup on style and layout tomorrow.

Why temporary, its good, keep it!

Definitely, I think it's actually a bit better than the old dropdown. It would be nice if they could make it a floating object so it follows you down the page. I'm able to find forums I haven't seen in weeks now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I haven't noticed any lagging or delays. The speed has certainly not been an issue.

The Categories menu on the right is a welcome improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Yeah, but please include "Regional" and "Talk to..." in that navigation menu ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

It's also not visible on all pages and needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Glad to see progress and also glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the Regional set was missing. Thought it was buried somewhere different.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do you use chrome on android? You can set any website to desktop mode in the browser if you are. Click the three dots in the top right and you should find it in the list. Not sure about other browsers/OS.

I'm guessing since it's a temporary fix that they didn't fully implement it across the site, but maybe if there's enough feedback saying that it should be a permanent addition they'll fix it up. Hopefully they make it permanent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks like I'm in the minority but it's nowhere near as useful as the old dropdown - that just listed your followed forums iirc and available on every page you were on, it was fantastic. This temp categories side bar thing isn't great at all - way too awkward to find followed forums. Having said that it's not a problem for me since I don't even see it because of the custom styling I'm having to use. I just hope it does not replace a proper followed forums drop down list in the future.

/Edit: I just realised you might have been referring to the old Topics dropdown? Never used that much either. 😁

Yeah, it was the topics dropdown I was talking about, it was the main way I navigated the site. I agre about the followed forums options. I really don't like the way Bookmarks works, and I find My Discussions a bit pointless. I won't even start on Notifications....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That Categories box on the rhs of the desktop site is something I'd expect a first year computer science graduate to deliver. I'd be mortified if a qualified engineer/developer presented that to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

It's pretty badly styled alright but hopefully it's temporary and the right and natural way to implement a sitewide dropdown is back soon.

Also, how hard is it to stick a 'back to top' button at end of every thread page? I know keyboard Home can do that but 'back to top' is again a natural way of doing things.

And 'My Bookmarks' should be permanently on the blue nav bar alongside Disucssions etc - reduce those damn excess clicks.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement