Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Show me your last post on this thread was about substance and not Biden's age or pattern of speech or something

Odd, I would have thought the tan suit would made it drop to about 30%. I know I disapproved of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

At least the U.S. isn't a laughing stock on the world stage anymore, so there is that....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,240 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama both served two terms so they can't come back.

Not sure which of them you meant but it doesn't matter as they can't be POTUS again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Jimmy Carter's eligible! Might be a bit old, but hey!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So if the election was held today he’d win. Great work Joe!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Finally, some sanction on Belarus from the USG. Funny, I don't recall the previous administration doing anything after Belarus' phony elections last year.

The cynic in me says the timing of the announcement is because of that sprinter in Tokyo...

Trump never got his approval above 49%, did he? So, given that political climate, this is still great result.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Absolutely - Given the utterly partisan nature of US politics anything above 50% is an extremely strong result to be honest. And it's a little higher when you filter for "likely voters" as well.

Given that he's probably scoring low single digits among GOP voters , getting over 50% means that he has a significant approval rating among Democrats and more importantly Independents.

Trump never got above the mid 40's because he couldn't shift the needle with Independents.

Based on the distro of voters , I'd imagine the break down for Biden is something like Dem ~90% , GOP ~5-6% and Independents - ~60%.

Which frankly is a very decent score given everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well Obama thinks he is a king going by the opulence and extravagance of his birthday party.

Did any of the regulars on here get an invitation to Obamas big shindig at the weekend ?

A real man of the people.

Rules for thee, but not for me.

At least Joe had the common sense not to attend.

• Advertisement

Which rules did he break?

And to quote your fellow Trump sheep, "this is the Biden thread, not the Obama thread. 😡"

Was he wearing his tan suit again?

Did he put ketchup on his hotdog?

Did he use a selfie stick AGAIN????

*Clutches pearls in dismay*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BREAKING: The Senate passes the bipartisan infrastructure bill by a vote of 69-30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo has RESIGNED

Accountability.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Can't wait for the anti-cancel culture warriors who were demanding he be cancelled try to wrap their heads around someone they wanted to be cancelled getting cancelled even if they are against the idea of people getting cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just saw the two notifications on my phone from nbc news one after the other and on the day when Biden gets a big win by passing a bi partisan infrastructure bill, the vote barely being over, Andrew cuomo gate crashes that victory. I’m shocked he’s gone so quickly but given the form of democratic politicians being forced to resign in the past, I’m not shocked he’s gone. The Cuomo legacy in New York politics is over for the time being.

Fair point...

Pic added- i think o'reilly deleted his tweet

Post edited by everlast75 on

This is the Joe Biden Presidency thread. If you want to drag past presidents into it, can you show me your posts where you were in any way critical of President Donald Trump partying most of the time at Mar a Lago, requiring guests to PAY HIM to be on the premises, and just sauntering between weddings and other birthday parties happening there, as well as staging his own birthday celebrations?

If you can find that post, it would be lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

is this for real?

Obama held a birthday party at his own expense. What’s your actual problem with that?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Has not seeing a quadruple return from your one time but some how recurring donation to the stop the steal and save America appeal meant that you couldn't attend like the rest of us?

The only conniption I've seen over the Infrastructure bill is some gaslighting about a pilot program in it for a mileage tax: contrary to the spin, the program is set up so EVs will have to pay their fair share for using the road, whereas conventional vehicles are already taxed by the fuel. No such tax model exists for EVs, so a program has been proposed that will require EVs to accurately track what miles have been driven to determine the tax rate for the vehicle/motorist. I've seen people speak apoplectically about it as if it is some slippery slope to the 'woke liberal takeover'.... exhibit A

Anyone else seen criticisms of the bill? Any concrete criticism? I like how he wrote out all the zeroes in 50 million to make it look like a lot more than it was in the grand scheme of federal budgets - or about 0.005% of $1 Trillion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am far more skeptical. I'll be curious to know the regulation behind such a move. It's not as if they are federal employees. Normally federal moneys to pay for state employees must be funneled through the State administrative system, in effect, it's a subsidy to the State. The actual quote from the Press Secretary is "We're continuing to look into what our options are to help protect and help support these teachers and administrators who are taking steps to protect the people in their communities.". That doesn't mean "Pay their salaries"

Indeed, now I'm looking, it seems the money has already been distributed to the State. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9880923/Jen-Psaki-says-Biden-HELP-Florida-schools-want-defy-DeSantis-mask-order.html

Psaki noted the money that was 'distributed to Florida to provide assistance to schools have not yet been distributed from the state level. So the question is, why not, and those can be used to cover expenses that come up in this period of time. They're federal funds and they're under federal discretion.'

Well, yes and no, Ms Psaki. Firstly, if they've already been distributed by the Feds, that discretion seems to have already been used. Secondly, it's never just a 'pot of money', Congress says what they can be used for (They control the purse strings, remember), and if the articles are correct, the money can be used "to update their ventilation systems, reduce class sizes to help implement social distancing, buy personal protective equipment and hire support staff." Nothing in that authorizes the expenditure of money to pay standard salaries of regular employees or otherwise support them, neither does it give the White House authority to redirect to the White House's discretion.

The Florida order about masks in schools is idiotic, that does not excuse the White House from making questionable claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I wouldn't be shocked if the sexual harrassment allegations have been overblown tbh, however I think the nursing home deaths scandal is more than enough to justify his resignation and then some. I think he's been a real self serving asshole with regards to Covid. Anyway, not that any of this has anything to do with Biden of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Manic, it is clearly just Psaki showing up the hypocrisy of the GOP. Trump, and of course GOP, were recently saying that teachers should be armed to take down shooters in schools. And yet know they want to defund education because they don't like masks!

It is utter nonsense and Psaki and the WH, are calling it out. Most people are not going to spend the time you did to look behind the headline. In fact, that is exactly how the GOP want it and has been operating for the last few years.

Psaki has shone the light on DeSantis, I'm sure it is no coincidence that he is a potential WH candidate for 2024. He now is on record as defunding teachers!

You guys lambast the anti maskers and Republicans on here but see no issue with Obama hosting a huge 3 day maskless indoor party.

Obama urged Americans to get vaccinated, but he couldn’t resist hosting a massive gathering, with Alicia Keys crooning happy birthday to him, when he knows vaccinated people can get — and spread— COVID-19.

No issue with all the eco warriors who flew in on private jets to a 12m dollar ocean side estate that will supposedly be "under water" when we reach the point of no return 7 years from now.

This is exactly the entitled, arrogant, self-indulgent behavior of Democrats like Obama and Hillary Clinton that paved the way for Donald Trump.

If Trump did this he'd be rightly lambasted for it.

The Presidency is a solemn and serious commitment. It should not be a giant piggy bank for cashing in on, once it is over, like Obama has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What % do you think would have been vaccinated at Obama's event?

What % do you think would have been vaccinated at the average trump event/meetup?

With vaccinations, events will get back to normal and life will go on, those unvaccinated and not wearing masks are putting that at risk for themselves and others.

This is an interesting line, are you being sarcastic (and believe in climate change, thus agree with the environmental policies)?

"No issue with all the eco warriors who flew in on private jets to a 12m dollar ocean side estate that will supposedly be "under water" when we reach the point of no return 7 years from now."

Or is this your way of saying "Obama had a party thus building coal plants and mining coal is exactly the same" type of stupid argument that has been common here.

In relation to the party, I imagine the majority if not all present were vaccinated.

I would tend to agree with criticisms of the super wealthy using chartered jets.

In relation to your claim that this paved the way to Trump, that tends to ignore that Trump is entitled, he has been since birth. He has actively scammed the members of the public via the presidency and prior to it. In fact, Trump is one of the few US presidents to not treat the role with respect... So while I disagree with chattered jets etc in the current environment, it's nowhere near as crass as anything Trump has done.

Obama making money after his presidency, I don't see the issue. He was pretty young when he finished his second term. On top of that he's continued to engage in philanthropy. He even gave about a million dollars to charity while president. Trump on the other hand had his charitable foundation shutdown while president...

So your faux outrage sounds fake...

"If Trump did this he'd be rightly lambasted for it."

Not by you....

• Advertisement

Most of the attendance were vaccinated.

Yes I was being sarcastic.

I believe in climate change to some extent, I hate coal , it should be banned as a domestic fuel, its filthy.

What % do you think would have been vaccinated at the average trump event/meetup?

Not many but that doesnt mean its ok for Obama to flout CDC recommendations.

Trump is not the benchmark for the Presidency, far from it, but it seems to be the default strategy on here, its ok for Democrats to do it because Trump did it or would do it.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

Advertisement